“I just didn't get it”

Mengrai Seafood
Ranked #407 of 980 Restaurants in Phuket Town
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed March 2, 2014

First, thank you very much to the previous viewers - your photos and detailed instructions totally allowed us to find this hidden place!
The sad thing is, once we found it, it was not at all what we had expected. Eating at holes-in-the-wall is fine and one of the joys of Thailand, but the food was not fantastic and certainly not as good as some of the other hole-in-walls I've eaten in. The red curry was tasty, but the prawns were small and definitely not fresh (which you would expect from a place with "seafood" in the name), and the garlic seafood dish that we were served was basically tabs of garlic butter that had congealed over it. It did not live up to the excited hype that is listed below and left us hungry and frustrated. Sorry!

Date of visit: February 2014
1  Thank StayBo

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Followed Lonely Planet but didn't find the place in the beginning. Thanks to the reviews below and finally found it - in the aisle right opposite to the Smiley bar. Nice food - fish, clams, and cockles are super fresh and yummy !! Definitely worth coming and worth coming again.

Date of visit: February 2014
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

With so many places to eat in Patong it can be lucky dip on the restaurant you do pick. I was desperate to find this place after the review in Lonely Planet, and even more so after the reviews on here. I didn't find this my first night, but then helpfully a user below posted directions and bingo.

This place a real gritty street eatery down a sweaty alleyway and may not be for those who want an elegant surrounding. However the seafood was great, I had a variety of prawn dishes and all were big and juicy and succulent. I wasn't completely blown away, but it was very much enjoyed and was fantastic value, most dishes being 150B.

The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is the soup I had wasn't as good as I have had somewhere else, and I ordered rice which never came. Aside from that I would visit again and explore more of the delicious menu.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Well this place is just amazingly sneaky ,located in a sweaty looking alley way, off the main party street along Patong beach, Phuket, its very hard to find but when you do find it you want to eat there and no where else for the rest of your trip. Very reasonably priced, fresh dishes, especially the seafood which is packed in ice at the front of the kitchen , you choose what you want, they weigh it ,you organise a price, its cooked and wah-la its ready to eat in all its deliciousness. I ate there twice in one day, once sitting and then take away, which was fun because i ordered the steamed fish in chill garlic and the fish came wrapped in a foil bag ,freshly steamed with a bag of the sauce on the side. A great cultural and different way of eating but throughly enjoyable.

Date of visit: December 2013
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Difficult to find but oh so worth it. My group of 4 girlfriends searched for hours for this restaurant, then ended up eating there for lunch and dinner on the same day! If you go down the main party strip of patong, take a left after Smiley bar, before a Family Mart. It's in an alley way with lots of little dodgy looking seafood shops but it is delicious. Our favourite was the prawns which came in a butter garlic sauce and the crab!!