“nice place for your free times to relax while you are enjoying the blue oceans views :)”
Review of Karma Kandara

Karma Kandara
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Ungasan
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I have a wonderful holiday weekend me and my friends at Karma kandara resort and spa, Uluwatu-Bali. The great resort with the great oceans view, the place for holiday and get the relax while enjoying the beautiful views. I really want to go back and stay there for my holiday. That is the very great moments that i never forget. I can lay down on the white sand beach so relax and enjoying the blue ocean and having the beautiful sunset on my afternoon weekend. All my album was taken during my holiday. What great resort and i'll be back again someday... :)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We visited this resort as a day trip. We wanted a cliff edge ocean view spa experience, so we tried this place out.

Spa staff was very friendly. The waiting area was very relaxing with view of the Indian Ocean. The couple room was what we expected, a small wooden structure with full floor to ceiling view of the ocean from the cliff. The windows are opened so you can hear the waves. The massage was quite good, better than most Bali hotels I've tried. And after the massage you can use the jacuzzi that over looks the ocean, it was definitely an experience.

We also had a chance to eat at the Nammos Beach Club, its a must if you visit this resort. You literally take a tram from the spa area down to the bottom where the beach club is. They had live music, some bales out on the beach side, and lit candles on the beach, very relaxing. The food was good and reasonably priced. They had pizzas, local fares, and the usual western fares. Kid menu was radily available.

As I didn't stay here I can't comment on the rooms. But if you dislike the crowded experience in Seminyak, or the sterile feeling of Nusa Dua, then Ungasan is for you. Its super secluded, it was about 30 min car ride to Nusa Dua. There was nothing around this resort other than barren lands and dry bushes, so you definitely need a ride.

Overall its a good exotic resort. Not as touristy as Seminyak and very private. Totally relaxing, the tram ride was also nice.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank checkincheck0ut
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Stayed in September 2011. What a great place to unwind and relax. Not for shopping and looking for adventure just enjoying the beauty! About an hours drive to Seminyak in traffic but who wants to shop when you can just relax.
Kitchen and bathrooms could be a little cleaner and cupboards need updating but otherwise we had a great experience. Nammos wonderful food, vibe and service. Ocean water not best to swim in as there are tides, currents and sea urchins. Di mare serves delicious breakfast. Amazing staff all round.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Ginaki3144
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We went to Karma Kandara for our honeymoon and the villas are gorgeous as is the view from all aspects of the resort. The service was reasonably good and it certainly is a great place to go if you want privacy and a fairly quiet, relaxing holiday. The very expensive food, however, had a lot to be desired. My husband and I both agreed that we would be happy to pay the five star price for food if it was of five star quality which at both restaurants (Di Mare and Nammos) it absolutely was not. The cocktails are also extremely overpriced - twice what we were paying at the W in Seminyak which is also five star! Due to the fact that you are fairly isolated at Karma Kandara there isnt really another option to walk to another restaurant and you therefore feel a little cheated that they've jacked up the prices for this average food knowing this is the case. The restaurant and the cocktail bar do have a nice vibe and amazing views but the quality versus cost doesnt add up. If they fix this it could be one unbelievable resort. My tip is if you stay there eat out!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank elizah826
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Being a frequent visitor to Bali, I have visited the Nammos Beach Club on several occasions and this trip decided to stay at Karma Kandara for 4 nights so I could enjoy the resort, the beach club while my boyfriend surfed Uluwatu most days. On arrival we were told we had been allocated a 3 bedroom ocean facing villa (which was massive for 2 of us, and the surf boards had their own room!), an ocean facing horizon pool which was absolutely outstanding. We had so much space, stunning view, and for the most part it was very private... aside from the guests walking across the bridge seeing me doing my morning yoga in the villa by the pool!
The cliff facing resort grounds are beautiful, not very Balinese in style more Mediterranean with wash walls and bougainvillea everywhere. The villa contained every modern convenience we could need, but was missing a filtered water tank which is necessary in Bali - there was water provided in the bathrooms however for a resort with the most amazing service and luxuries the water filter must be an oversight.
The breakfast every day at di Mare was a highlight... I think we tried every option and loved every one, especially the omelette. The food at Nammos is also excellent, great pizza! We loaded up on beers and snacks before we arrived, especially if you don't have a motorbike to get around.
The massages in the spa on the cliff overlooking the beach was wonderful and the gym was great too.
The resort is absolute luxury, the views are breathtaking, the staff were all lovely, the beach is the one of the only beaches I'll swim at in Bali, and soo relaxing hanging out at Nammos all day, great food and music.
I hope you enjoy Karma as much as we did!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean facing villa!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
PJ
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My wife and I checked in for a 4 night stay at Karma Kandara in August 2011. I requested for a sea view villa and they very nicely accommodated my request. Upon check in we were taken to the Villa where we could actually see the sea. However it was next to the visitors' parking lot and unfortunately lacked the privacy and quiet we wished for. We gave it a go anyway but after 2 nights, requested for a move to a quieter part of the resort. What a world of difference it made, I believe the villa was built later and therefore the designers have made improvements. The latter villa was built with better materials and hence the curtains could be drawn properly, doors locked securely and showers work with adequate water pressure.

Another aspect of the resort visitors need to be aware of is the location of Ungasan itself which is away from other parts of Bali. You need a car to travel anywhere and Karma does not provide a free shuttle service to popular areas. This means you will spend quite a lot on your food bills at Karma's 2 restaurants or order villa service which attracts a further 10% surcharge. A possible option is to do your own cooking as the villas comes complete with a kitchenette with microwave and refrigerator though I am not sure many people will want to cook on their holidays.

A major plus point for the resort is the fact that both the restaurants serve really good and high quality meals. My wife and I really enjoyed all our meals taken at the resort and in our opinion, rivals the best fare Bali could offer. However note that wines are expensive.

The spa overlooks the cliff and is truly enjoyable although again expensive. However the resort normally provides some level of discounts and welcome vouchers for treatments.

The beach is lovely and clean with nice soft sand. The waters are clear and you will be guaranteed front row beach loungers if you stay at the villas. While a private beach, the resort welcomes day visitors who pay an entrance fee. Another note is that the seawater is cold (Indian Ocean?) as is the case with the private pool at the villas. And some guests sunbathe topless!

Lastly the staff at the resort is a marvelous group, always an eager smile and ready to assist you to make your stay a comfortable one. In conclusion the people and views at Karma Kandara are truly magnificent, the villas could do with some maintenance and management needs to review food prices. The 21% government taxes doesn't help at all.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2011

When you want to get away from it all, this is the place. The cliff views are fantastic, long breakfasts at the restaurant are a must. The Nammos beach club is great, has a really good vibe, and although visitors can pay to access, hotel guests are well looked after. The food, beverage and (spa) facilities all have normal western prices, so don't expect any Bali bargain prices. The food at the restaurant was really outstanding. The hotel is a long way from anywhere really, so expect to stay in the resort the whole time. We spent a few nights in Kuta before going to the resort to do shopping / get the "real" Bali experience, and would do that again. The villa's are nice, try and push for an ocean view (we didn't get one). The resort staff are very friendly, and there are some really nice touches like free DVDs with a huge selection of new release movies from the library.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view villa. If not, ask for one with privacy (some villas are overlooked by others...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ungasan
0.7 km away
6.4 km away
Anantara Uluwatu Bali Resort
6.7 km away
The Villas at AYANA Resort BALI

Been to Karma Kandara? Share your experiences!