“Peaceful, quiet retreat - but not close to anything”
Review of Sekar Nusa Villas

Sekar Nusa Villas
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Ungasan
Reviewed 7 January 2015

We stayed here with our 2.5 year old and absolutely loved it.

The first half of our holiday in Bali, we stayed in Kuta for the shopping and nightlife. Knowing that would get tiring, we chose to split the break into two separate mini-holidays and make the last half more of a quiet retreat and the Sekar Nusa Villas were perfect for that purpose.

On the downside, the hotel isn't new - my guess would be around 15-20 years and therefore looks a little "tired" compared to some of the very new neighbours. It's still clean and well maintained, just don't go expecting a funky modern apartment.

It's also a bit out of the way and doesn't really have any shops, restaurants or entertainment within walking distance. Since we wanted peace and quiet, this was perfect for our little family but if you like walking to nightlife and shopping, don't stay here.

And probably the biggest downside for us was the lack of reliability of internet. When it worked, it was fine. But it was extremely unreliable and would simply not work for hours at a time. Since we had already been in Bali for a week when we arrived at the Sekar Nusa Villas, both my partner and I were having withdrawal symptoms from the connected world - so the lack of the convenient "on all the time" internet we have at home was a bit frustrating. Having said that, it forced us to not get tied up with work while we were away, so it was probably a blessing in disguise. Seriously though, if you need to access reliable internet while you're in Bali, I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you have a backup plan.

The positives include a spacious villa with its own private plunge pool as well as a big shower and separate bath tub (big enough for all three of us!) - and being the hot, humid wet season, all these water options were just fantastic.

The hotel also has two large pools - one deep one with an infinity edge overlooking a stunning view of the east coast of Bali and a shallow (75cm) but huge kids pool that gets its water via a waterfall from the infinity edge of the adults pool 3 or 4 metres above. We swam in both and although the kids pool had an unusual amount of floating debris (I guess you get that when a pool is surrounded by thick gardens), both were clean, warm and a wonderful option for the couple of times we felt like something bigger than our private pool.

The staff were friendly and competent.

Even though the several other reviews on Trip Advisor are correct in suggesting that the buffet breakfast is relatively limited, it's only limited compared to some of the huge spreads the big chains offer. If you're used to a basic continental breakfast in small hotels and motels, the 6 hot dishes of the day and "eggs on show" cooked to order combined to be more than adequate for our week at the Sekar Nusa Villas.

All in all, a lovely, quiet retreat high on a hilltop with a very pleasant view and private, adequately appointed villas.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
8  Thank Darren_au

Reviewed 28 December 2014 via mobile

Beautiful bungalows but they are open so there is a lot of mosquitos. Inside they are nice, but not outside and the rest of the resort is old and need to be fixed up! The staff here is great, they fix everything there is broken ( and that is a lot). There is no cafe, bar, shop ect, everything is closed down. The pool area looks closed as well, but if you ask you will get towells and a madress. There is nothing around the hotel, you have take take a taxi everywhere.
There is no microoven, no minibar and only 5 diffent maincourses on roomservice and in the restaurant ( same menu).
The place should only have 2 stars and be cheaper.
It is clean, peacefull og the staff are very serviceminded.
We left 4 days early even though we allready payed.

Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnneKarinaSmed
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We had stay for a weak.. In villa with private pool, such a quite place and positive athmosphere compare than seminyak we stayed previously... Bed are comfort...Beautiful place... Peace of place... Warmest service during our stay...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Made Soedarma Y
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful place and atmosphere... thank you for everything has been arranged our memorable trip in Bali... warm and friendly service... we will coming back soon.... great landscape... comfortable bed... quite place with fresh breezing...

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nyoman M
Reviewed 24 January 2014

If you are looking for a pleasant, relaxing vacation, DO NOT stay at Sekar Nusa Villas. (If you are considering booking this hotel, please read the entire review first!) I will start with the positive aspects. My wife and I came to Nusa Dua for two days at the end of our trip to have a relaxing time by the beach/pool after some sightseeing in Ubud. The hotel is not close to the beach (you have to take a shuttle), but we knew this in advance. Sekar Nusa Villas was a beautiful hotel, but not as nice as it looks on the website. The pathways between rooms had trees with tropical flowers. We stayed in a bungalow with a private jacuzzi. It was more of a mini-pool than a jacuzzi and was not heated, but that was okay. The room itself was very large, and there was both a bathtub (with a few cracks) and a rain shower.

There were two pools on different levels, but only the upper one looked to be maintained. There were no towels at the pool, and when we asked, it took about 20 minutes for someone to bring some. They only brought a few, and this process was repeated when other guests came to the pool. This happened two days in a row. The lower pool had a bar/pizzeria which was never open. The bar was not even stocked. There were no chairs arranged around the lower pool, which was larger and looked nicer than the upper one. When they made up our room, they took both of our bath towels and left only hand towels. I had to call housekeeping to have new bath towels delivered. This took about 30 minutes.

The rate was very expensive (a little over $100 USD a night) for the quality of service. My impression was that the hotel had recently changed owners, and the new management cared far more about making money than they did about making the guests happy. If we never had to speak to any of the staff members about anything, it would have been a very pleasant stay. The service generally ranged from poor to incompetent for reasons that will be detailed below. From check-in to check-out, communication with the staff resulted in one bad experience after another. I realize that the Balinese are very laid back, but I found that the staff had little to no training in hospitality, and this was more of an issue than their laid back demeanor.

While breakfast was included, the description we received at check-in indicated that there was a choice of a Continental breakfast, American breakfast, or Indonesian breakfast. When we arrived, there was only a small, unappetizing buffet with toast, fruit, bacon, sausages, fried noodles, fried vegetables, spring rolls, and an omelet station. When I asked for an omelet, the “chef” tried to give me a cold one that had been sitting there for who knows how long. I had to ask him to make me a fresh one. In addition, the fruit at the buffet was horrible. While there is such delicious, fresh tropical fruit to be found all over Bali, there was only watermelon and honeydew at breakfast. Not only that, but it was the part right next to the rind, which tasted bitter. I don’t know what they did with the good part of the fruit, but they certainly didn’t serve it to the guests!

When we arrived, we learned that, because we were staying on New Year’s Eve, there was a “compulsory dinner” at an additional $40 (US) per person. (After tax, tip (which was added on), and two beers (alcohol was not included), the total came to over $100 USD for two people.) For Bali, this is extremely expensive and after the actual experience, it could only be termed criminal. When we arrived at the dinner, we couldn’t get anyone’s attention. After being ignored for 10 minutes while tables around us were served, we started saying, “Excuse me,” and waving our arms. We were still ignored. I walked up to the servers’ station and was told to wait. When we were finally served, we learned that the exorbitant price did not even include alcohol! The portions were small, not very tasty, and the main course arrived cold. There was live music (a local guy and his son playing American cover songs), and this was the definite highlight of by far the most expensive and disappointing night in Bali.

Some of the other issues we had: shortly after arriving, I asked if there was a place where I could print our boarding passes. (The hotel has a business center, but no printer.) They said I could email the file to the front desk, and they would print it out for me. However, it took about 30 minutes of standing at the desk (while witnessing other guests’ problems, which I will not write about since they were similar to my own) before three people could figure out how to use the printer. The hotel offers a free transfer to the airport. I arranged the time for the shuttle shortly after checking in. When I went to confirm the night before we were leaving, they didn’t know anything about my request. I re-arranged the transfer. I went back to re-confirm a few hours later, and still they knew nothing about it. This third time, however, a staff member I had not seen before made a telephone call and told me that the driver would be there at the time I requested.

When I went to check out, they told me the credit card machine was broken. (I had seen this happen to a previous guest, who paid in cash.) I did not have enough cash and informed the staff that I could only pay with a credit card. They swiped the card numerous times (making me afraid of multiple fraudulent charges). After trying many times and asking me to pay in cash again and again, they then said they would make a photocopy of my card so they could charge it later! I became irate at this point and said they would do no such thing. The manager came and explained that I should go back to my room to wait while they prepared a bill authorizing the correct amount to be charged from my card. Miraculously, they called 10 minutes later and said that the credit card machine was fixed.

We only spent one full day (two nights) at the hotel, having arrived late in the afternoon on the first day and leaving on an early morning flight. With all of the problems and lack of competent service, I implore you not to subject yourself to the same miserable experience that we had.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank wrldtrvl18
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I don't normally bother with reviews but I wish I had of read these before I stayed. We checked in on New Years Eve late in the evening to find that the first room hadn't even been cleaned... the bed was still unmade from the night before. They changed the room and gave us a room at the front of the resort where we couldn't close the doors properly which meant our room had a lot of mosquitos bothering us in the evening. Phone in the room didn't work... I can survive with a cold shower, our villa had no hot water. Breakfast was average and the limited menu had many options unavailable when it came to place an order, including no Sprite for the kids when they needed something other than water... We caught a taxi to Kuta and family staying with us waited 2 hours for another taxi with no one mentioning that all the taxi's were booked out. The staff were nice enough but the language barrier was an issue. Our biggest concern is that my 7 year old daughter and husband were electrocuted in the pool. We received an apology at checkout from the Manager but I still walked away feeling that this issue wasn't taken seriously nor was it going to be addressed properly. We had to suggest you turn all power off leading into the pool!! I hope you have sorted this issue out for the safety of any future guests staying at this resort! Luckily we didn't pay a huge amount of money for this accommodation... unlike some of the other guests we spoke too that were staying there around the same time as us. They too couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank BaliTravel2014
Dodi P, Manajer at Sekar Nusa Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Balitravel2014,

We truly appreciate your feedback and I apologize for the challenges you faced while you were with us.

The comments that you personally shared during your stay have been communicated with the entire team and a number of actions have also been immediately taken as a direct response to your concerns.

As we continue with our commitment, we are happy to share that issue has been completely in accordingly.

We believe that people are the heart of our villa and as we approach our value customer, we strive to not only provide comfortable accommodation, but also quality and friendly service that ultimately contributes to a memorable holiday.

I do hope that you will consider returning in the future to see the positive changes that have taken place and experience Sekar Nusa VIlla Nusa Dua’s true service potential.

Kindest Regards,

Dodi Pusdinata

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Terrible from the get-go.
Two bedroom villas are all along the street, so the noise from trucks and motorcycles can not be avoided.
We arrived in the evening, so could not properly view the rest of the villa grounds.
It was however noisy enough that we had to purchase earplugs at a pharmacy in town.
First night the shower head did not work, mould was creeping from the walls and the in-room fragrance reeked of chemicals. Only good point was a comfortable bed, albeit surrounded by a mosquito net which was unfortunately, necessary. Further the bed sidelight was so dim, that even taking the light shade off of the lamp, did not allow us to read in bed. One disappointment after another.
After a replacement room was not available, the next day we investigated the property and found the private pool to have moss and fungus across one third of all the rocks.
It ended up pouring ran for two days and the roof between the bedroom and living room (outdoor) flowed like a waterfall into the villa. The villa common bathroom was leaking from the light which gave us some safety concerns, but what really through us was that bedroom wall which was mouldy the day earlier, actually leaked water into the bedroom and caused me to slip on the marble floor.
Finally, whilst sitting on the uncomfortable couch the next afternoon, I spotted both ants and spiders. Not uncommon in Bali, what did throw me off however, was finding some sort of insect nest of some sort embedded behind the cushion.

Room Tip: stay away from the two bedroom villas. they all face a busy highway which is noisy and impacts yo...