“Love this hotel”

Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mai Khao
“Love this hotel”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

renaissance made our honeymoon a memorable one. it's the best hotel i've been to!

from the moment we steeped our foot there, everything was perfect, the lobby, staff was friendly, the atmosphere, room is very clean and comfy
BUT the only thing is, when we opened the tap, the water at the tub was quite dirty. so we didn't enjoy the tub at all :( but we prefer the shower anyway

very private but close to other resorts, which is not a problem at all. there's a turtle mall which is very near, a shuttle is provided by the hotel. u can buy groceries, there's some fashion outlets, bar etc

love the pool it's quite near to the beach. the ambience is perfect

if you're looking for a private time with your spouse/family, this is a superb hotel to go to, but if you're looking for excitement, fun, maybe u should consider other hotels at patong or koh samui. it took us quite a long drive from renaissance to fantasea (a must for everyone!)

overall..it's an amaaazzziinng hotel! definitely will go there again!

Room Tip: there are rooms near the pool, where most of the activities are
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nebula225

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We chose to stay at Renaissance based on the reviews by other travelers. We were not disappointed at all. Their thoughtful service came the moment their staff picked us at the airport and provided a car seat for my baby. The room was equipped with everything we had asked for as we were travelling with an infant and their wait staff at the restaurant always offered to carry our baby girl so that we can dine in peace. Food and accommodation was great but what was greater was the attentive staff who provided a level of service I have yet to see in any other resorts I have traveled to. Well done! I'll certain return.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Geognut
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We selected this hotel to stay for one night prior to our flight out the next day. We found the hotel to be well appointed. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. The rooms were very modern and spacious and the grounds were very beautiful. The main restaurant was very good including a very large breakfast buffet in the morning.
We were disappointed that there wasn't a Thai feel at this resort. It just felt like a beautiful hotel you could find anywhere. It is also very isolated, there is nothing in walking distance. If we had stayed there for a long period of time I would have been quite bored.
Having stayed in other parts of Phuket and Krabi, we would not choose this property for a long stay, however we found it a great choice for our purpose.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelfish20
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This is a one of the newer Marriott hotels in Phuket with a very easy transit from the airport. The hotel can arrange for transport and that just seems easier than navigating the taxi queue and all the vendors in the airport. The car arrives with a greeter and you can expect great AC in the car along with water and cold towel.

One of the downfalls for some will be the hotel is very isolated. Any major area is around and hour away. So, that can either be a good thing or bad thing depending on what type of traveler or vacation you are looking for in Thailand. Just keep that in mind when booking here.

Check in was efficient and prompt. As a Marriott rewards member they upgraded me to a villa, which was spectacular. Very private and very spacious with direct access to your own plunge pool. Huge tub in the room and all the standard Marriott equipment. I will say it was odd that I was asked to leave this room and was put in a standard room after one night. To the manager, I would rather have NOT received the upgrade if it meant a single night. Any other Marriott hotels the upgrade is for the duration of your stay. Poorly played at best, but it wasn't worth making a scene over. That type of behavior should be avoided at all costs in Thailand.

The standard room was, well standard. Very clean and very Marriott. It did not measure up well after being in a pool villa the first time. The pool was small for such a big property and have to say the pool staff not very attentive. Especially when there was ample staff standing around doing very little. I should not have to get up from the lounger every time I wanted water or a drink. I also found that despite having a tip included in every transaction, if you didn't leave extra the service declined further. I would say some additional training is in order.

There are several restaurants on site offering a wide variety of local and western cuisine. I did not get a chance to use room service, but would believe it is fast and efficient. The gym was outstanding and very well equipped. Really enjoyed the steam room after my work outs.

Back to the upgrade issue. I did get a chance to speak to the GM. He seemed rather bothered I wanted a chance to sort this out. Guess being a Platinum member didn't matter to him. So, in conclusion a very clean and unique hotel with some serious need of training the staff better. There are other Marriott options in very close proximity with much better recreation and dining options. I would recommend the JW Marriott up the road. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: I would recommend the pool villas for couples, or anyone wanting extra privacy.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank BPreston310
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The Renaissance Phuket is an amazing and beautiful property. We were there last week and the service, rooms, and amenities were great. As many other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is somewhat off the beaten path, but you can always take the shuttle for 700 baht roundtrip into Patong (which we did one night & I would recommend if you've never been to Patong before). Overall, this may be the nicest resort I've ever visited & I would highly recommend staying here if you have the chance.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Balberts99
DC
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Stayed here at the end of our 20 day Thailand vacation. Excellent way to wind down and relax. Staff, grounds, food, laundry all excellent. Wedding one night which kind of took over, but we just enoyed listening to their band while having a drink on the beach. Spa was booked, so enjoyed massage in hut on beach next door. Actually ended up being one of the best we had - nice listening to the ocean while getting massage! Would defiantely stay here again. Upgraded to resort view and free breakfast for Marriott Elite status.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dindelray
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Booked this hotel using Marriott points for our last night in Phuket area as it was so close to the airport. I wish we would have booked earlier and stayed longer! The staff and grounds made such a wonderful impression on my friends and me.

Check in was a fantastic experience. I had a few additional friends with me as they had an evening flight out and were going to wait at our hotel for a few hours before going to the airport. The staff took their bags, offered them drinks as if they were guests. The lobby was beautiful, wide open space and large couches where guests sit comfortably during check-in. I had Gold status with Marriott at that point, and as we were there during the off-season, we were upgraded from a double bed room to a private villa at no additional cost - AWESOME! The villa wasn't ready at the time we checked in, so we left our bags with the bellman and were taken by golf cart to the pool to wait.

The pool is wonderful, infinity style and overlooks the ocean. There's a small bar nearby with a sand floor that serves lounge food and drinks - the Siam Sunray the bartender whipped up for me was by far my favorite drink of the entire Thailand trip! The pool is a short walk to the beach, which had choppy waters and was a bit windy.

Our villa was wonderful - lots of windows and natural light, yet it felt private and secluded. The king bed overlooked our private pool and patio. One could open the sliding door from the living room and hop right into the pool. The bathroom was large with jacuzzi tub and had lots of sink space.

Breakfast in the morning was AWESOME. There were so many options to choose from, and something for everyone. We sat outside to eat overlooking the waterfall pond.

If you are looking for a few nights of luxurious seclusion, this is the hotel for you!! I do wish we had skipped the tourist trap of Phuket town and stayed here a few additional nights. I would definitely stay at this resort again if I were to venture back to the area.

I should mention - another hotel guest shared with me that she was walking alone a bit further down the beach and turned around to find a man watching her and touching himself. I never once felt unsafe during my stay here, as there are security guards positioned around the hotel at various spots, including overlooking the beach adjacent to the hotel. But as the hotel is on open grounds, I think the lesson here is that guests should be wary of walking too far away from the hotel unescorted.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
#2 of 321 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,351 reviews
8.3 km away
Phuket Marriott Resort and Spa, Nai Yang Beach

Been to Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!