“Amazing Resort & Spa!”

JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This resort is one of the beautiful and amazing place I have been.. Its Huge! Since I am a traveler. The lobby host are so nice, as soon as we arrived they welcome us with a flower necklace. Very accommodating staff and even though the staffs are Thai I'm amazed that they do speak English well.. The food and drinks of each restaurants are just perfect! The spa is awesome.. Very good massage therapist, the environment is clean.. I love how friendly the people in Thailand. They have this show in the afternoon at the lobby which is nice and entertaining. The room we got is very clean too and big and we got a free champagne at the room.. I believe it's a romantic place to stay for couples and a fun place to stay with family and friends... The beach is not so good for swimming though.. But overall it's a perfect resort to stay!

Stayed: July 2011
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Reviewed 29 March 2012

My parents and I own a time-share at this resort and come back every couple of years. We are able to swap our week for a number of other resorts around the world but I still enjoy my time here the best. The resort is large with plenty beautiful tropical gardens being tended to by quiet, friendly Thai people around the clock. The staff here are generally soft spoken and beautifully polite (they are Thai, after all). There are three large pools, including one for just adults. I love to lay out on the generous pool chairs and have the attendant bring me iced water and fresh fruit, without me even having to ask. The beach is beautiful, never crowded, and clean for Thailand but often the water is really for swimming as the swell and currents can be quite strong. My favourite things about here are definitely the range of activities, ranging from active to relaxing; the beach massage for 500Baht and the baby elephants who visit the resort every day and are amazing.

A couple of practical things:

Transport: Getting here from the airport is quickest and easiest by taxi, make sure you go to the approved counter just on the outside of the airport terminal and get a ticket. The trip should take 15-20min and cost around 500Baht. Getting to the town is quite a drive (40min) and I don't think it's doing more than once per trip. However, there is a massive supermarket called Tesco Lotus at Thalong, about 20min away. If you stay in the large, well equipped apartments then it's definitely worth a trip to buy groceries. There's a cheap and reasonably authentic food court there as well. The main road is very good quality so hiring a car is definitely worth it for a couple of days. The rates from reception seemed comparable with other websites. Keep in mind the traffic gets pretty ridiculous if you want to go into the main town or Patong beach.

Food: Yes, food is more expensive in the resort than elsewhere in the island. That isn't exactly hard when a plate of pad thai at the market costs about $3. I really don't think the food's that pricey, unless you go the upmarket restaurants (especially the Japanese). Some of it is hit and miss so my recommendation would be to stick to the Deli for most meals. The burger is pretty good and the asian dishes like fried rice and noodles are generally pretty nice. I think the one place where the food is usually delicious is the Thai restaurant in the resort - I think it's called Gingar or something. It's right on the beach and reasonably priced, considering the context. If you want some cheaper and more local food (but still be reasonably confident it won't give you food poisoning) then almost directly across the main road, (opp the turning to the Marriott), down the dirt track next to the convenience store there is lovely place called Kin-Dee. The chef used to work at the Marriott and has started her own restaurant in this suspended bamboo balcony overlooking the jungle and mangroves. If you want cheap and delicious local stuff, ask the staff to tell you where the local markets are for that day. Also, if you drive along the main road there are often roadside stalls. My absolute reccomendation is the local fried chicken or the noodle soup with beef ball or fish cakes. There are several hotels neighbouring the resort which you can eat at, as well. We tried the thai restaurant at the Renaissance last time (catch a buggy straight there from the Marriott lobby). Pretty tasty (but quite pricey). I thought the chicken wings were delicious and the decor is certainly lovely.

Overall, I know this hotel is not perfect, I've never been to a perfect hotel - but I just love the attention to detail in everything, the relaxed atmosphere and the beautiful architecture of the hotel and am already looking forward to the next time we go back.

Room Tip: In my opinion the 2 bedroom apartments are definitely the best value for money
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I am sharing a great experience at the JW this week.

Location: The location is great and close(25 min), but not too close, to the airport in Phuket. Day trips are an easy 30-40 minute van ride and include access to island hoping, snorkel and diving trips to fantastic islands (phi phi, James Bond islands, etc). The beach is very beautiful and the JW offers great waterspouts, several included in room rate.

Resort: Beautiful. The grounds are meticulously maintained and are very lush with a wide variety of plants and landscaping details. Pool area is dramatic with many lounge chairs available - some would even be considered semi private depending upon which pool you go too. Hotel staff are very very friendly. If you read our review about our trip to Bali to contrast, there was a genuine nature to the staff at the JW that you do not find at all resorts around Asia.

Restaurants: The restaurants were very good and I would especially recommend the Thai restaurant with reservations at sunset - great Thai cuisine coupled with a georgous sunset in a very modern version of a Thai bungalow - delightful. Breakfast was very good and we enjoyed the tempanaki at the Japanese restaurant a great deal as well.

Kids: Our children, ages 5 and 7, enjoyed the activities offered at the children's pavilion (hair braiding, kids yoga, access to video games and other children). While it was a bit disorganized - the kids enjoyed the activities. By the way, a baby elephant arrives each day at to let the kids feed bananas or sit on its back.

Room: Spacious, very nice. In most resorts, rooms do not give you a sense of space, however we had a walkout patio on the first floor and were about a 15 second walk to the pool. The large tub and lounging area by the patio was lovely spot for an afternoon nap or to read a good book on a rainy afternoon.

Overall, really enjoyed our time and recommend for a quick long weekend or a base for the Thailand trip of a lifetime.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank M C
Reviewed 28 March 2012

First I want to say that this resort is great. Very spacious.. very convenient buggies, free shuttle buses, friendly staff, and most of all very quiet and cheap, AWESOME breakfast... Not to mention 3 huge outdoor pools with many comfy beach chairs surrounded by fabulous nature and ocean.

I see some negative reviews about the place and some of reviews are very misleading. First of all, some said it's TOO FAR from the Patong beach - or the downtown of Phuket.

This is very true. It took me 50mins by car to go to Patong beach but it's supposed to be that way. Quiet and secluded from night lives and other resorts. Plus you easily can see on JW Marriott website that they don't market themselves as being at the center of Patong beach. So complainig that this place is out of nowhere, too far from beach, etc is like you going to a sushi place and complaining about not serving baby back ribs. (hope this analogy is appropriate). This resort is for famillies and couples who want to have a relaxing vacation at the resort. They also have huge kitchen and all sorts of utensils so obviously not intended for people who want to enjoy Phuket downtown life.

Of course it wasn't all perfect. One of downsides is as many people have said is expensive restaurants and supermarket which is in Turtle village. It's almost like a monopoly so I can expect little bit of jack up in price but it was bit too expensive for its quality. Biggest rip off is the supermarket. They charged a can of Singha .. I forgot exactly how much but as much as how restaurants would charge it. 4-5 times more expensive than Big C in Jung Ceylon.

So I suggest, you take a van (can be arranged by the resort staff) to Patong. Have a blast and before going back to the resort, just visit the Big C and shop snacks and drinks (Beer!!).

Anyway my purpose of visit was just to chill by the beach and poolside and sleep til whenever at a quiet resort with good air. Also a day's visit to the downtown. For this purpose, not many of other resorts could've done better.

Room Tip: 2 Bed room villa has 2 huge bed rooms (one with en suite which is as big as the room). 1 bedroom has...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kevin H
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at the JW Marriott cause one of our friends gave us a week for free cause they couldn't go.

This is a giant resort that is about 20 minutes north of the Phuket airport. It takes a good 15-20 minutes to walk from one end of the resort to the other end.

Reasons NOT TO STAY here:
1. If you want to explore Phuket it is very far from everything as it's at the northern tip of the island (1.5 hours to drive south)
2. If you are a couple as this is a huge family resort with lots of kids running around.
3. If you prefer boutique hotels. This a JW Marriott chain hotel that looks like the same all over the world.
4. If you don't like getting ripped off by the staff. (read below)
5. Taxis are very expensive to get anywhere (rent a car).

Reasons TO STAY here:
1. You have a large family and don't want to entertain the kids yourself.
2. You don't want to explore Phuket and plan on just staying in the hotel the whole time.
3. You like expensive food and drinks that are about 3-4 times the price of other areas in Phuket.

The suite we stayed in had two bedrooms. The rooms were huge. The master bedroom has a giant bath tub that can be shared by a couple. Use their shower gel for a bubble bath! :-)

We didn't use any of the restaurant facilities for our entire trip but the hotel charged my credit card around $100 for eating at their restaurant after we left and checked out of their resort. We disputed it with them and they emailed me a receipt with a signature that didn't even match mine. The problem is that they didn't even tell me when I checked out of the hotel that there was going to be this charge! Eventually the charge got dropped but I would expect better service from a 5 star JW Marriott resort. Seems like there's always a problem whenever we stay at a JW Marriott.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ForeverRoamin
Reviewed 26 March 2012

If PERFECT was the one word to describe a place, it would be this hotel.
Serenity, Nature, Peace, Calm, Romantic, local Thai feel is everywhere you turn. The hospitality and service is impecable. A vast variety of restaurants.

Suitable for honeymooners.
Variety of activities. Right by the beach. Has everything you want and more.

Large rooms, immaculate.
Comfortable, infamous Marriott beds
Free wireless in all rooms.
Suitable for families and romantic getaways.
Shower and bath
All amenities provided
24hr room service
Location, close to everything you need

Free Shuttle bus to nearby shopping centre (15min walk)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank bellamer
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My husband & I came to Thailand for the 1st time and stayed at the JW Marriott Mai Khao. This place is amazing! The service was outstanding and everyone there was eager to make your experience a pleasant one. We were greeted as we exited our taxi with leis and a delicious roselle juice and told to take a seat and someone came over to check us into our room. The pools are immaculate and we were constantly being brought cold towels, ice water, fresh fruit & juices all complementary. The feeling around the hotel is luxurious. I also loved when the baby elephants come by & you can feed & pet them. On the beach you can get inexpensive massages & pedicures which can be nice after an afternoon in the sun.

The beach is beautiful, uncrowded & miles long, however, the slope is steep which makes long walks along it a bit more challenging. This is the perfect hotel to getaway from it all and relax in pure luxury. It is a bit of a trek (about an hour by cab) if you are seeking nightlife but it is easy enough to hire a cab to take you into town and they'll even wait for you to bring you back.

We did take a day boat trip to Krabi which I would also highly recommend! The islands, cliffs, and beaches are gorgeous and we had originally contemplated staying in Railey Beach for a couple nights. While I thought Railey was lovely and the resorts there were quite nice, both my husband and I were glad we chose to stay at the JW because it really out-shined those other resorts.

I loved every minute of our stay at the JW Marriott and would go back to stay in a heartbeat & highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
The Surin Phuket
#3 of 36 in Choeng Thale
4.9 km away
Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas

Been to JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!