“More like an average 3-4 star resort!”

Beloved Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
NEW YORK
“More like an average 3-4 star resort!”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

First let me start off by saying that I always doubt myself when booking an all-inclusive...my husband and I have traveled to magnificent resorts all over the world. When booking this resort I researched every nook and cranny of this location. The overall location is desselit so if your looking for any kind of shopping or nightlife this is not for you. This is NOT a 5 star resort by any means more like a typical 3-4 star in the states.
The rooms are nice, clean and very big. We were lucky enough to have a Penthouse Suite which was perfect for us since we were travelling with a 1 year old. The shower was unlike any shower I have ever seen in a hotel before. We could have fit 10 people in it. The beds were comfortable. Beautiful balconies with pools which were heated twice and day ( nice feature when weather is cold).
The overall resort is very clean with a dessert feel to it. Lots of greenery not so many flowers if you like that type of thing.
The pools were OK...not so heated like they said they are, even the Jacuzzi was a bit chilly for those overcast days.
The staff was very attentive and sincere.
As for the food there were a ton of highs and lows...Breakfast was horrible...I didn't even think we were at breakfast...the food was bizarre...things like chili and Chinese food look like they were being served in Sterno's.
No "real" breakfast food was around..not even oatmeal...I thought that was the biggest let down since breakfast is so easy to prepare and serve....asking for a highchair was like asking a server to go kill a pig and make some bacon for us....took about 30 minutes...don't ask for water either....not only does it take about 20 minutes...it piping hot so for tea I guess it would be efficient.
As for lunch there is no day to day variety so if you like something you can get it everyday because nothing changes...I often feel this is something all-inclusive should do because the average vacationer is there for a week throw in a little something different even if its every other day....
The pizza was actually good...they served it pool side and was a nice snack if you didn't want to go to restaurant and get something to eat.
The drinks were actually great! Not watered down and very high end cocktail for all-inclusive which was a very nice touch...
The dinner at Lupita was very good...if your a vegetarian they will make anything for you make to order...otherwise the food was very good.
And now for the nightmare of going to the italian buffet one night...We got to the reservation desk and asked for a table of 5...the hostess told us not only did they not have a table in an empty restaurant...but that we would have to eat outside...in about 60 degree windy weather with my 1 year old...I found this absurd...so I complained to her...she kept opening the door to the restaurant and slivering in the door and if she didn't want us to see the empty restaurant (which by the way has glass doors, so it was no secret)...when we threatened to go to mgmt she miraculously found a table of 5 for us....which was probably the worse thing she could have done for us because the food was inedible...horrible not that we expected Italian in mexico to be great but we had no choice to eat there it was the only restaurant open...how can they limit you to one restaurant for an entire resort...????They do serve sushi by the bar but if you don't eat that your out of luck.... Italian it is!
The service that night was horrendous to go along with the food...so all in all skip that entire experience it put a sour taste in my mouth for the entire 4 days we stayed there.
There is no real nightlife at all they had a singer one night who was actually very very good...but besides that everything kind of shuts down after 9:30 ish...
All in all I would consider this resort average....Food average with sometimes getting something that wows you...drinks very good...rooms clean and big...staff ok...except for the lady woking the Italian buffet the night of Monday March 5th...obnoxious!!!!
The beaches are not like Cancun if that's what you travel for....water is more like Caribbean but there is a ton of seaweed...which is NOT the resorts fault at all, they do try to maintain how much washes up on the beach.
All in all if you don't like digging into your pocket every 10 minutes to pay for something this all-inclusive is ok...but would probably not stay there again!

Room Tip: If you think you are going to get upgraded when you get there you can but you will PAY for it...just...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank funintthesun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,133)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 17 March 2012

My husband, 18 months daughter and my parents went to The Beloved hotel for 5 nights. We got two rooms - two stories room with a small pool and day bed and a penthouse (anormous room with living room, kitchen and humongous balcony with 3 day beds and a pool). Restaurants we're not too busy so we would always get seated around 6 pm. But I heard things get a little hectic during spring break. I would always get a palapa on the beach for the day - it costs 45 dollars but provided us with shade, comfort, a bottle of champaign, water spray for the fac, moscato repellant and after sun lotion. The beach was amazing. Clear blue waterc. We took waiverunners by the sunken ship )ask your guy to guide you there). Absolutely amazing. We did pedicures and were please with service. I also had a deep cleansing facial and loved it. The place wasn't crowded and even though it allows kids, it wasn't like some another hotels where you cannons get away from kid's scream. Live music and "disco" as my 18 months old daughter called it was very mellow and enjoyable.

One of the few things it separates this place from being a true 5star resort is presense of chemical smells in the front lobby. I know they try hard to make the hotel sparkle and be spotless. But maybe they could find some other way of shining floors without making them smell so strongly. Every time you enter the mail lobby, you want to run as fast as you can get outside. Small point and in the overall scheme of things is not a big deal.

Room Tip: We stayed in the penthouse room with amazing view and 3 days beds on the balcony
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I've stayed at The beloved twice in the past 2 months and it is truly my new happy place!

My first stay was a week with my 22 year old daughter. We sought, and found, serenity, relaxation, amazing service and fabulous food. I ditto the other reviewers who describe the property, the architecture and the quiet, tasteful entertainment that does not overwhelm.

My February stay was marred only by weather issues, but we had plenty of sun during the course of the week. I was surprised to see families with children, as I could not imagine how families would entertain kids in such a quiet resort. Pleasantly surprised that 99% of the children were easily amused by playing with shells, coconuts found on the beach or just sand. Parents were sensitive to the couples who clearly came to relax. When kids got fussy, parents took them back to the room.

We appreciated accomodations made for my daughter who is a vegetarian. I loved every moment I was there.

In March I went to Mexico with my husband. We were at another "adult only" resort and left within the first 24 hours because it was loud, crowded and we were surrounded by "adults" who behaved as if they were on the show "Spring Break"

We fled back to The Beloved and had a blissful stay, pretty much.......

Upside: food, rooms, beach, service, staff, quiet, restful, not crowded, beautiful, again, I agree with all the positive comments in other reviews. I loved the firm mattresses!

Downside: sorry to say....too many kids. Some kids were fine, but there were fussy, noisy little kids and loud, boisterous bigger kids. I waited until mine were grown up to take them to a quiet resort. We did family resorts when we had little kids, and I've waited a long time to go on a relaxing vacation where I do not have to hear kids shrieking in the pool, throwing tantrums while I try to eat lunch.

Also, there are no lifeguards at the pool, no one is looking out for little kids. I witnessed one small child wandering near the beach, stark naked. He was frightened by heavy equipment being used on the beach and ran straight for it! He spoke no English and it was more than a few minutes before I could identify who he belonged to.

I agree with the other commentators, if you want to market to both families with small kids and couples seeking solitude, you need to separate them. The Beloved is truly heaven on earth, please don't let it lose its charm by trying to please too many people.

Room Tip: Owners Suite is a memorable experience! Room 340 was truly wonderful!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Traveler1932
New York
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I recently stayed at The Beloved with a friend for a quick getaway. While on the surface the hotel seems on par with other great hotels, the details are what made for an average stay. While it doesn't feel like a massive hotel, which is nice, the staff to guest ratio needs work. We tried to check in and were told our room would be ready in 1 hour (no problem, we had lunch and came back 1.5 hours later), there was a new person at the front desk now and they told us again, 1 hour until our room would be ready... only after I asked how this is possible did she find a room which was ready, but unfortunately the bellman (apparently there was only 1) was helping another room, so we took our bags ourselves. Our room itself was nice (we were in a 2 story casita), but the far side of it smelled like there was some sort of mold issue, other than this visually it was a nice room. The beach is quite nice, but the beach chairs need a lot of work, there is maybe a 1/2 inch cushion which doesn't do much and made for a very uncomfortable experience. The beach service was good one day (Freddy was great) and subpar the next (took our drink order 3 different times and we never got the right drink, and lunch was basically a suprise, not what we ordered). The dinner options were ok, and the bar was nice for late drinks (though only 1 server), but the food highlight was probably breakfast. The king size bed only had 3 pillows which were literally hard as rocks (we asked for more, but never got them) and the sheet thread count could definitely be increased. All in all an average experience, but could get better if they stop cutting corners.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BrixNewYork
montreal
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I could go on and on and on about The Beloved, so I won't. From the perspective of a middle-aged couple with one 3 year old daughter, here's the stuff you need to know:

1 - "ALL-INCLUSIVE" ACTUALLY MEANS "ALL-INCLUSIVE":
you pay for your week (or less, or more...) and you're done. things you're going to pay through the nose for elsewhere are AI here: wi-fi; lockbox, iron/ironing board, in-room snacks, beverages, and alcohol; unlimited coffee (with a french press, not some crappy mr. coffee) and tea; 24-hr room service - i'll say that one again - 24-hr room service; private, air-conditioned transport to and from airport, etc., etc., etc;

2 - DON'T FOCUS ON OR OVERPLAY ANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS:
A - the resort is rather isolated. but in this day and age, there is NO excuse not to know this before you get here. furthermore, that's EXACTLY why we (and most others) chose it and is inherent to its charm, quality, difference, and quality. you're 20 minutes away from downtown Cancun, 10 minutes away from Puerto Juarez and the Isla Mujeres ferry, and a million miles away from the skull-thumping hotel zone. relax, rejoice;
B - the room service can be a bit slow. but you're on vacation. why would you want to move at the speed of normal life on vacation? this 'problem' is overcome after a day of experience and a few short breaths;
C - i read in several places about the "smell" in the rooms. people, it's a seaside resort. it's humid. it's hot. for most of us, not having to shovel snow to get out of our rooms overrides any olfactory considerations;
D - limited options for eating? really? there are just over 100 rooms at this place and 3 restaurants (4 with the beach take-out). they are superior to most in food quality, service, and ambience and we NEVER had to wait for a table. Furthermore, we didn't have to stand in line at 7 in the morning to win the lottery of a seat;
E - some complaints about the rooms were baffling. no privacy in the shower? who are you traveling with? even given the all-glass shower, anyone troubled by the sight of their naked family-member or friend can retreat to the balcony bed, the poolside chaises, or the beach with a book and fresh coffee and pastry.

3 - THIS IS A FAMILY-FRIENDLY RESORT:
the beach is safe and clean, the pools are immaculate, with one being heated (we had trouble getting our little one OUT), the kids club is very very good and popular with the kids we met, and the food choices were never ever a problem. our room, like most, had a double sofa-bed for Quinn. she loved it. and the cleaning staff made sure the bed was made up WITH a kindersurprise waiting every night. the next door, sister resort, The Excellence, is couples only. problem-solved.

4 - FAMILY-RESORT, PART 2:
i know how this is going to sound, so i'm just going to say it. the fact that this is a bit of an upscale, boutique resort also changes the, er, uhm, 'clientele' and thus the experience. you'd be hard-pressed to find a better-behaved, sophisticated, well-mannered, respectful bunch of kids as we met during our week. never a scene at the pools, never an unpleasant distraction at dinner...

5 - THE STAFF:
fantastic, interested, sincere, pleasant, helpful, competent, responsive, professional. we NEVER went past anyone, from front desk to groundsmen to maids who didn't smile and acknowledge us. the cleaning ladies would even leave a warning if we had left any valuables out. beyond that, any problem was heard and handled. what more do you want?

6 - THE GROUNDS:
finding a spider web became an obsession. nothing. anywhere. not high, nor low. no dust bunnies, no stains, no nothing. anywhere. now, this hotel is relatively new and one worries about how it will age, but it was immaculate;

7 - THE FACILITIES: you won't find a better gym/exercise area anywhere, the restaurants were fantastic, great kids' area, pools were quiet and scrubbed clean. if you want to experience one of the finest spa facilities around, that's yours as well ($$$). we didn't, but we heard raves from others...

Bottom line: we spent about 30% over our vacation budget from last year and feel we got a much much MUCH better deal in the bargain. we would definitely go again. after a week, my own little nitpicking left me decrying the lack of adequate postcards. that's it!!

I feel most of the complaints from others can be explained by those individuals not taking 15 minutes to research their travel plans. if you're unhappy here, you need to find a private island somewhere. if these staff members can't please you (with their effort, if not their results), you can't be pleased.

Room Tip: this can be an exercise in nit-picking: the resort is very compact and boutique in style and substa...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank dalevero
Reviewed 14 March 2012

My wife and sons (6 and 6 months) just returned from a glorious week at the Beloved. As often stated in these reviews, the architecture, food, service, cleanliness, etc are all top notch.

We were so pleased with the roomy accommodations, awesome kids club headed by Africa and kids menu items that stretched the palate beyond chicken fingers that we felt that it was one of the best hotels for families with young children we have ever been to. In fact, to the chagrin of other posters, they should market this hotel to the young family demographic.

To all the people that are complaining about "too many kids"...maybe next time you should pick from one of the many adult only resorts that Cancun offers (that's what we did when we didn't have rug rats)

Great job Beloved! We will be back again and again.

• Stayed February 2012
6 Thank BDYYZ
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The Beloved Hotel 2/20/2012 – 2/26/2012

I stayed at “the Beloved Hotel” from February 20 – 26, 2012 with my girlfriend Tamara to celebrate her birthday and spend some much needed time someplace warm…

From the time we arrived, where we were greeted with sparkling wine and a cool towel to refresh ourselves to the breakfast they prepared for us at checkout (at 5:30 AM that they had waiting in the lobby for us, we had an early flight out of Cancun), we were treated like “rock stars”. I have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts in the past, and a couple in Cancun, but they have truly “raised the bar” for all-inclusive, and especially in Cancun, MX.

We had booked a “junior swim-up suite” and the room is very large, beautifully furnished and appointed. The bathroom was very chic with vessel sinks and granite / marble everywhere actually as an architect by trade, the amount of marble throughout this resort, is incredible, walls, floors, countertops, exterior, interior… it’s used everywhere, and very well done, but more on that later…). The shower was huge with a rain shower head and wall sprays as well.

The bed was super-comfortable, the turn-down service very nice, and the housekeeping staff very attentive and helpful. The room comes with a mini-bar and is re-stocked daily, tell them what you want or don’t want and they will take care of it… The coffee machine in the room was a “Bodum” French-press nice touch, but if you like it strong, make sure you get extra coffee pouches). The room was awesome!

The beach was excellent, a great swimming beach and the beach staff works their butts off for you. You need something, a chair moved, etc… they are right on it. The staff here is AMAZING! I highly recommend paying the $45 USD to reserve a cabana for a day with the round lounging bed. They include a bottle of sparkling wine very good), and a personal server to attend to your needs… well worth it! besides the sun is intense, and the shade is very welcome.

The pool by our swim-up suite was very nice, and was shared with the other rooms on the first floor of our building, and had an in-ground hot tub at each end to use, Very nice. The pool was not heated, but it’s right out side your patio, and the Mexican sun warms it quite well. The main pool by the “Isla Grill”, which is the pool-side outdoor restaurant and bar for lunch and dinner was heated, had a nice hot-tub and a swim-up bar. Sebastian, the bartender was awesome!

Its right at the beach and the lounging beds (NO plastic chairs, all nice wood loungers, and beds with thatched min-paylapas for shade)… are a great way to spend the day. The pool-side and beach servers (Alfredo! the BEST!) will bring you lunch, drinks and snack from the beach-side grill or the “Isla Grill” all afternoon. I highly recommend the wood fire pizza, the steak or shrimp skewers, and especially the grilled catch of the day, the ceviche’ or the octopus salad! AWESOME food! Oh, and all the liquor is top shelf, premium international brands, they got it all!

The outdoor “Lupita Lounge” in the evening is something to really enjoy, totally laid back with fine furniture and lounging beds in an outdoor tropical oasis with free-form fabric roofs and awesome lighting. They had a DJ (not loud, very laid back, “chill-out” music) and/or a live performer (flutist, saxophonist) each night. Very laid back and relaxing, and they were open to 12 AM each night.

They also had fresh, really good sushi made to order at the bar, really excellent! Guillermo, the head bartender is fantastic and very knowledgeable. I highly recommend taking part in the tequila tasting they do on Tuesday evenings (extra $35 USD/per), very good and we tried some serious top-shelf tequilas (some were upwards of $200/bottle)! Not bad! Guillermo ran the tasting the night we were there, but he said it is normally done by the manager. I think Guillermo did an excellent job!

The only buffet is for breakfast at “Aroma” was fabulous, fresh food… great service, and a large variety. One thing to understand… this place is SERIOUS about the food they serve, high quality, very flavorful, interesting and diverse. We attended a “tasting party” with the resorts head chef one evening to sample various dishes centered around a single ingredient (the night they did it, the ingredient was “peanuts”) and I must say it was impressive, and we were able to meet the chef, and talk with him about the dishes and the food overall at the resort. Very nice!

There are three choices for dinner, all ala carte’ and you have to dress for dinner, please check the resort web-site. It is a classy place, and the over-all feeling and vibe is one of elegance and class. I dig it! Anyone of them is a good choice, although I liked the “Isla Grill” in the evening for dinner, they had an excellent menu and wonderful service. The outdoor location near the beach and pool is very nice in the evening. “Lupitas” restaurant adjacent to the lounge is indoors and serves very fine, traditional Mexican cuisine. I liked it! Also “Aroma” which has both indoor and outdoor seating has an excellent menu.

I think, besides the great food, location, BEAUTIFUL property and buildings… the one thing, and most important is the staff and the high level of service. This is not some big, mega-resort. This is truly a smaller, boutique style hotel. You can walk around the grounds during the day, and you fell like you are the only ones there. When we were there, they were 90% booked, but we felt like we owned the place… We had one very, small issue with our room, and after discussing it with the manager… the issue was “resolved” beyond our wildest expectations! I cannot divulge what they did, as I am sworn to secrecy on this matter, but suffice to say… we were “rock stars” for the remainder of our stray!!! :{)}

The Beloved Hotel… ROCKS! Staff, Staff, Staff… Service, Service, Service! Food, amazing and fresh, drinks excellent, the property itself (as an architect by trade, I have a bit of knowledge on this) is absolutely AMAZING and beautiful! Very modern and chic, very CLEAN and immaculately tended to. They have raised the bar!

Oh, and very family, and kid friendly. We do not have children, but they have an extensive and pretty cool Kid’s play area with a pool, with a slide and water features and very accommodating! Watching the kids at the swim-up bar with their parents ordering kiddie cocktails and “virgin” versions of the drink the parents were ordering was really funny, I am sure the bartender, Sebastian agrees… they kept him busier than the adults.

But, this is a great place for both couples and families, it’s not too big to be alone if you want, and when your there you feel like it’s all yours… You gotta consider this place if you are going to Cancun! Done!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
14.5 km away
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Beloved Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!