All reviewssports barfrosted glassdrink cartmezcal bartequila poolsmall hallwayperson showeringscuba caribewater park for kidsmain buffeta la carte restaurantsel jardinhot dogsshampoo conditionerbathroom lightfire alarmfive pools
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Well here we are our last day at the new Riu. We have had an OK stay. Considering that the RIU name is well known this new hotel seems to have lost its way very early.

Let’s start with the Rooms. They are OK pretty basic but we don’t come on holiday to sit in a room, cleaning was done daily the room is comfy

The Restaurants. Very poor, the service from the foot soldiers isn’t great but they do try they rush around whilst the supervisors dressed in black just stand there and do nothing to help, they don’t serve in fact I don’t really know what they do. The food is OK at best. Much needed room for improvement. It needs more staff it could be an easy fix.

The food is again OK there are plenty of choices, eggs bacon cereals fruit pancakes etc, evening meal beef, lamb, steak the lists go on. I’ve had worse I’ve had better this is average

The Pools. Not the best environment loud mouth obnoxious Americans rude to everyone especially the staff, they steal sunbeds so watch out for this think they own the place avoid if you want peace & quiet go to the beach. If you feel you need to be at the pool put your towels at at 7am latest put magazines other clothes don’t just leave a towel you will lose your bed

The Beach. Lovely beach choppy waters but a nice cool breeze a must visit. The staff do their best to clean the seaweed but it’s a constant battle but they do work hard. You will find a number of armed police offices patrol the beach nothing to be alarmed about

Synopsis

Like I said the stay way OK hence my average score of 3, we won’t be returning to this hotel in fact it’s the first RIU hotel we stayed I won’t be looking to book with this hotel chain again. If you are looking for a quality chain look at Excellence, Sun or Moon Palace you won’t go wrong there.

The RIU Dunmar needs to pick up the pace if it’s to compete with rivals it’s got a long way to go before it gets there.

This is just my opinion you will need to go and see for yourselves but my final word is avoid!!

Good luck

Stayed: April 2018
6  Thank Jack F
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Dunamar, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our completely new built Hotel Riu Dunamar for your holidays and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are committed to provide excellent quality of our products and services to our guests and for this reason we are very sorry to learn that you have left our hotel thinking otherwise.

This hotel offers an excellent service with very good value for money. Perhaps you would like to choose one of our Palace brand hotels for your next holiday, which is our more sophisticated collection of hotels.

Please be assured that we will share your impressions with the relevant department in line with the main goal to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction.

We sincerely hope that we will one day be able to welcome you back to our hotel and have a chance to demonstrate the high standards of guest service that are typical at our hotels.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

My husband and i arrived on 18th March for two weeks.

Location

We knew that the hotel was a bit of a drive from the main point in Cancun, but didnt realise it was a $35 cab to downtown and $40 for the way home. So remember that if you want to explore that you will have to pay for this. As the roads are new, there are no local buses to Cancun. The hotel itself should do shuttle busses.

Room

The room was very spacious and the maid, cleaner and minibar man came every day, and made our room spotless. The walk in shower was huge, there is a frosted glass in the shower which you can see from the room. we were on the ground floor in room 157, it was near the entertainment stage, but the time we got in to bed and watched a bit of HBO the noise quietened down.

Food / Drinks

Food and Drinks were all good. There are 4 a La Carte Restaurants plus the buffet Rest, but two of the a LaCarte was buffet? But all food from breakfast, lunch and dinner was fresh and was always replenished.

Staff

All staff were helpful and friendly, we had no problems with them from Reception to Bar and the pool bar men freddie! great guy.

Beach

Beach was lovely, yes there were seaweed but the used a tractor every morning collect this. the sea was wavy but when it wasnt, it was lovely and very clear.
you can walk up along the beach, there is a SPA place that does massages, cheaper than the hotel.

Entertainment

It wasnt that great at ngiht time. The animation staff put on some shows, but we thought it was cringy so we would go to the lobby bar or sports bar, went to Pacha a couple of nights.

Guests

We're from the UK and there was a lot of guests from the USA, who were very loud, i think its just in their culture to be load and way over the top. They took over all the swim up bars and were very greedy when they was in the buffet. In the end i couldnt stand their voice and their rudeness. This probably put me off going back.

TUI Packages

We did two trips with TUI - But before you book anything with them, please go to Hotel Zone were the trips are so much cheaper. we paid $113 each for the Cataman boat trip and found out that this trip is $40 if you book in downtown! wasnt happy about that.

overall we did enjoy this hotel and mexico it self. didnt enjoy paying $70 each for exit tax!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank simonebradford
Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Just arrived this evening 3rd April. There are three of us in a room which has two small beds. Apparently they are doubles but are not made for normal sized people. Just under 4ft wide. So no bed for my daughter to sleep on as the sofa is not a sofa bed. They don't have any left but they'll place us on the waiting list. Disgraceful service for a supposed 4 star hotel. We spoke to the manager Victor who was next to useless. His solution was to move us to Riu Cancun for the night and see what comes up tomorrow. Hopeless all round. I'll talk to the First Choice rep tomorrow and see what they say. Taking money under false pretences by booking 3 people into a room that only sleeps two.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
11  Thank JohnfredRuislip
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Dunamar, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share your experience while staying with us.

We regret to read that your first impression of the hotel has not lived up to your expectations.

We encourage guests that are still at the hotel to contact our Front Desk staff in order to resolve any issues whilst still at the hotel. They will be more than happy to assist you and make your stay as pleasant as possible.

We hope you can resolve this with our Front Desk staff during your stay. We look forward to hearing about the rest of your stay.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

What a disgrace this placeis, I arrived three days ago.

Today while sitting by the pool my 10 year old daughter and I were approached by a man from the hotel selling hair braids.
She naturally wanted some, I agreed to a single one. We were advised this was 5 dollars. We only had a small amount of local currency, it is an all inclusive Hotel. So asked if Uk Pounds are ok. Yes that’s fine.

We arrived at 2pm, the hotel spa, to be told that pounds are not acceptable, please go to reception. This we did, to be told are currency was not acceptable... great my daughters money is not new enough, they only accept... crisp new notes.

The reception team didn’t care, the so I called manager, Victor Betancount.
Well don’t bother, he could not care less.

I have spent over £200 pounds in the hotel shop on gifts for my daughters 11th birthday on Thursday this week, that was fine, but not good enough for this Hotel reception.

TUI have had my £7500 pounds, they do not care... we don’t have any say in the Hotel “ it’s up to them I was told by the TUI rep.
Well to leave this country I have to pay in cash, I have over £700 pounds in £20.00 notes, but my cash is no use.
So I guess we will end up in a local jail as we can’t pay the exit tax, £50.00 per person. You can’t pay by card only cash.

Great ...., goodbye UK, my children aged 10 and 13 will be here for good.

TUI and this Hotel are a disgrace do not come, it’s just not worth it.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
10  Thank suzHiggins9
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Dunamar, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns.

We were surprised to read your comments regarding money exchange and would like to clarify that the local currency at the hotel is Mexican Peso and it is not possible to exchange foreign money as clearly stated on our website.

Please be assured that we will share your impressions with the relevant department.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

We stayed at Riu Dunamar for 4 nights/5 days. We traveled with 2 families including 4 children ranging 16-18 years. This new hotel is 40 min drive from the airport. The area near Riu Dunamar is definitely a new up and coming area of Cancun! We loved the size of the Riu (approximately 2000 guests) since it was easy to navigate the 3 pools + water park, restaurants, and nightly entertainment. We felt very safe at the Riu and all the guests were friendly with a variety of young couples with babies, middle age with elementary, middle and high school children, newly weds, and retired couples. All the pools are extremely nice with swim up bars, tables in the water, loungers in the water and more. The entertainment staff at the Riu is extremely friendly and works very hard to offer the guests a great time! Including all kinds of games at the pool, DJ music, water aerobics, Zumba and occasional beer drinking games:) At night our favorite evening was the dance beach party. The DJ played dance music and everyone danced in the sand enjoying the beautiful weather. The beach has built in palm trees which offer natural shade (if you want) and plenty of comfortable lounge chairs provided. The beach is nice and clean, but if you plan to walk miles every morning along the beach...you maybe a bit disappointed since the area isn't that developed yet, but in the next few years this will completely change. In past reviews I read some complaints about the food. This actually surprised me! We're from the Chicago area with so many restaurant options and we were all completely happy with the food selections and quality of food. Many of the chefs prepared the meat or food in front of you while you waited! We were thrilled with the food and fresh fruit selection and many drink options. Highly recommend for a beautiful, clean resorts with friendly staff.. all at a great price!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard and pools have the best view. The rooms are very soundproof.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends