All reviews petit paradis joan spas spring nature dominica
Reviewed January 17, 2017

We stayed here as it was the first place our tired legs carried us to after finishing hiking a segment of the Waitukubuli Trail. The place was pretty, well taken care of, and had a nice atmosphere.

However, the guy who checked us in was promptly yelled at for telling us the wrong price by the owner, who then huffed that she guessed she had to give us the lowered rate now, making us feel bad. She seemed to be in a bad mood the whole stay, which soured the experience a bit for us. Seeing the other reviews here, perhaps we simply caught her at a bad time.

The room we stayed in was tiny, barely enough room for our packs. The shower was only separated from the rest of the room by a curtain with nowhere to put your clothes or towel, which was a little awkward as I was travelling with my adult brother and Mom. Just didn't work well (a lot of "dude, can you close your eyes while I run into the bathroom?", that sort of thing). The sink was also clogged. And there were no top sheets on the bed, just a comforter, which my germaphobe Mom didn't particularly care for.

On the other hand, the food was excellent. Exactly what we needed after hiking all day long. Pretty birds, and I suppose we were nearby a lot of awesome sites. Nice views. The restaurant/bar had a great atmosphere, with cool plants and lights. I LOVED the vibe in there. The waiter was super awesome too, a really friendly guy. He really made the dinner experience great.

Side note: wifi only worked upstairs in the restaurant.

I probably would consider staying here again, but maybe check the room first to make sure you get a good one. And stay on the good side of the lady owner. If you're hiking the Waitukubuli, it couldn't be placed more perfectly.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2016

This guesthouse is a completely lovely place to stay. The hosts are extremely friendly people, who were happy to help with anything we needed and even offered us any fruit we wanted form the lush garden behind the guesthouse. The meals in the restaurant are delicious, but you can cook yourself in a kitchenette if you want to. There are a bunch of hammocks around to laze in, or even sleep in overnight if you want to wake up with a view of the mountains! The rooms were very comfortable and cozy. As for the location, it is extremely picturesque and quaint. There is public transportation to Roseau running right outside the door and a wonderful hot spring venue very close by. Because it is a little further up in the mountains, the air is slightly cooler, which is nice after a day at the coast or after hiking in the sun. All in all, me and my friends had a wonderful few days here, and I highly recommend this venue for anyone looking for a place with lots of local charm!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2016

Joan and Al’s guesthouse and restaurant reflect the nature and beauty of Dominica. The landscape is spectacular with lots of friendly birds around to observe. The rooms are very comfortable - you can even pick fruit from the trees near the balcony! We really enjoyed the family team at Le Petit Paradis: Joan cooks delicious, healthy meals and Al is an waiter-extraordinaire! They’ve done well to advertise themselves along the winding, country road - just keep following the signs. Joan and Al are genuine people who are proud of their country. Wotten Waven is a great location to base yourself in order to explore the Southern interior of Dominica. Trafalgar Falls, Middleham Falls, Titou Gorge, the Boiling Lake and loads of other exciting locations are nearby. After an energetic day it’s not far to enjoy healing hot sulphur pools.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2016 via mobile

I had been hiking the Waitukubuli National Trail for almost three days. I was wet, worn and haggard. So when I finished the section of the trail that literally ends at the entrance of the hotel/hostel, I stopped, for two days.
The food was perfect! It was clean and had hot water.
The dorm rooms were full but the private room was affordable so that it okay. There was a fan in the cabin as well as a small fridge.
Bonus points for having mosquito netting.
I chuckled when I saw the fleece Panda blanket on the bed, but it got cold and thankful it was there late in the evening.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Johnathan I
Reviewed February 23, 2016 via mobile

Day three of hiking the at times very arduous Waitukubuli Trail. We were hot, sweaty, hungry, wet from the rain and ready for a rest. Literally like an oasis, out we emerged from Segment Three and there is was: Le Petit Paradis.

Al and Jean greeted us with smiles and we were shown to our cute, little room! Clean, two beds, shower, balcony with a laundry hanger to air our hiking clothes!

And the food was divine. We ate three breakfasts and two dinners there and were not disappointed. Jean was fabulous catering to my dairy allergy. And the local birds were fun and entertaining companions at all our meals.

Due to rain we ended up staying two more days and used the location as a launching point for other adventures.

So if you're not hiking...Le Petit Paradis is a tremendous location for other things to do! Mineral spas, Trafalgar Falls. We took a local bus to Laudat to access the amazing (but at times terrifying) Boiling Lake Trail.

Feeling tired and need some downtime? The hammock is the perfect place to cozy up with a book!

We are so grateful for the guidance, advice and kindness shown by Al and Jean. I totally recommend this place for everyone.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends