All reviewsbush kitchensamurai beachport stephensbus stopunique hostelgerman shepardshared kitchenswimming poolgames roomshort driverainforestsakurabeachespossumsaustraliacampfiremosquitoes
Reviewed June 10, 2016 via mobile

This place has a world of charm :)
It is still very bushy and natural in its environment.....just like a wilderness escape!

The cabins themselves are clean, simple and comfortable. We stayed in a standard room that shares a bathroom with 1 other room- this was a point of concern for my boyfriend as he prefers privacy and convenience especially when he needs a 3am bathroom visit. But it didn't pose an issue at all throughout our stay?

The communal kitchen is so cute, the fairy lights are a magic touch! The pool looked nice but the water was freezing so we stayed away, I'm sure in summer it would have been better!

The only 2 points I would make on the down side are that there was brooms and a mop leaned up against the front wall of our cabin throughout our stay.....they weren't dirty but it did steal from the ambience. Secondly because the property is based off the main road and the property is not heavily lit it can be a little creepy walking to the car park after 9pm....make sure you have a torch or a light on your phone.

All round a really nice stay!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RacheleS19
Reviewed May 23, 2016 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights when I travelled up for a triathlon. This was my first time staying at a backpackers & I was pleasantly surprised!! Super clean & comfy bungalow set in a gorgeous rainforest. Small but adequate share bathroom. Only downfalls- super small shower with quite ordinary water pressure & temperature control. Very reasonably priced. Wish I could have stayed longer!!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Miriam A
Reviewed May 7, 2016 via mobile

Will no longer pay for a hotel now. Why would you. Lovely location. Gorgeous outdoor kitchen. 5mins from the beach. Fastastic price. Spent weeks there after came down with gangerous appendicitis. Will definitely be back when I can.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Bennine M
Reviewed April 30, 2016 via mobile

We recently stayed here and discovered a little gem! We've stayed in hundreds of backpackers around the world and can quite comfortably say that this is one of the best. With the friendliest owners ever (Mark, Sandy and Bo the dog) you instantly feel welcomed and at ease and they always go the extra mile. The location is great, an easy drive or quick bus ride to get around beautiful Port Stephens. The bush/garden setting makes the busyness of Sydney seem a million miles away. All the facilities including the rooms were so clean and the outdoor kitchen was awesome. If you're travelling up the east coast or looking for a weekend getaway make sure you check this place out!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam3793
Reviewed March 25, 2016 via mobile

As a solo traveller it can be quite overwhelming when you arrive at a new area and new hostel into the unknown but from the moment I arrived at samurai beach bungalows I felt welcomed by Sandy and Mark the owners and Bo the dog. It's like a big family that just keeps opening their doors to more and more "backpacker childeren" I booked in to stay 2 nights and ended up staying 2 weeks, only leaving because I had plans I couldn't cancel! The dorm rooms are cosy rooms with only 5 to each room so there is no overcrowding and we even had a fridge/freezer and kettle. The outside kitchen was the place to be with everyone cooking and socialising and having a few beers and when it gets to warm you can just go for a dip in the pool with Bo there watching out for you! I'll definitely be back to samurai soon

Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo