All reviews port stephens unique hostel german shepard swimming pool games room short drive sakura possums australia facilities supermarket retreat camping
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Setup inside lush jungle...a nice place. A bit far away from places to be visited in Port stephens. Staff, the dog an python are friendly :)

Date of stay: April 2010
Reviewed January 15, 2010

My husband and I are staying in YHA's across australia, this is by far our favorite spot. Mark and Sandy (the owners) were super friendly and made us feel right at home. The bungalows are really comfortable and surrounded by tropical paradise. With the beach a short walk away and all the Port Stephens has to offer a week long stay is still barely enough! We love Samurai Beach Bungalows.

Date of stay: January 2010
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Samurai Beach Bungalows is quite difficult to get to if you do not have a car or sat nav. There is ample spaces for parking and all are close to the reception. We only stayed for one night and was happy to leave as we did not feel comfortable during our stay. When we met the receptionest she was very helpful and welcoming offering plenty of information regards to the local area.

Once we arrived in our bungalow, we found it to have everything that we needed and all seemed well. Although everything was basic we could not help but notice the creepy crawlies on the bedroom roof above our bed. All it needed was a quick dust down though and everything was back to normal. In the room was refreshments, fridge, heater and linen which was maintained and well kept.

Our main fault with the bungalows (other than not experiencing any wildlife) was that the grounds are not very disabled person friendly. There are no ramps and the paths are very poorly lit (if even lit at all). The one to our bungalow was down a muddy hill which has been freshly watered making movement for my partner quite difficult.

This place was just average for us we would not want to return and would be happy to find another hotel next time we return to port stephens. I understand that we paid and stayed in a hostel but we did not feel as though this was value for money.

Date of stay: August 2009
1  Thank Jane S
Reviewed January 4, 2009

This place is certainly not what I had expected. It is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. Very quite, peaceful and yet very sociable. The rooms are really clean as are the bathrooms. The staff are really helpful and friendly.

An excellent hostel for people with cars or their own mode of transport. Unfortunately is is a 5-10min drive into town but I believe there is a bus stop at the entrance that heads in to town which is the only other means of reaching the hostel.

Certainly not a place for those who don't enjoy the bush. Mozzies are a bit vicious but Mozzie coils are supplied by the bucket full. If you bring the Aerogard you won't have a problem. The staff own a pet diamond python which comes out on request.

Apparently there are koalas floating around. I didn't see them but you can hear them mating rampantly in the evening.

Date of stay: December 2008
Reviewed August 14, 2008

I love this place. The bungalows are located in a forest with wild koalas right outside. There is a lot to see and do in nearby Tomaree national park, and Samurai beach is just a short walk away.

The rooms and facilities were clean and comfortable and the staff are incredibly friendly. I would recommend this place to just about anyone.

Date of stay: August 2008