All reviewsbush kitchensamurai beachport stephensbus stopunique hostelgerman shepardshared kitchenswimming poolgames roomshort driverainforestsakurabeachespossumsaustraliacampfiremosquitoes
Reviewed January 16, 2011

Arriving in Port Stephens I had no idea what to expect. Having asked the bus driver to drop me at Samurai (which he did) I found my new home for the next few days. Mark and Sandy are so friendly, helpful and accommodating. The cabins are set apart, well-sized (but not huge) clean and comfortable. The bush kitchen is fabulous and the people that I met were all so lovely. This is by no means your typical back packers hostel - it is more a retreat in the bush with the added bonus of the fabulous beaches. Most defiantly worth a visit!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Family owned and set in beautiful surroundings this Hostel has it all.
Swimming pool, bush kitchen, camp fire, koala inhabited surroundings.
If your looking for a getaway out of the hustle and bustle of city life then this place is ideal for you.
Marc and Sandy are so lovely and are never put out to help you with whatever you need.
Bikes are free to hire if you want to ride to the nearest shop (10 minutes)
If you want to explore then there are heaps of trips from dolphin/whale watching, 4x4 sand dune safari just down the road, national park, horse riding etc etc.
A must see!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed December 12, 2010

My wife an i are over 60 and this was our first time in OZ and only our 2nd backpacking experience ever,we stayed in a family bungalow with our son,his girlfriend and girlfriends mam and also our grandaughter. We enjoyed the first night that i suggested we stay on another night,the two nights around the campfire was wonderful and 'Muldoons Bar' ? was something else ho,ho. When we arrived the first one i saw was a huge german shepherd,but he (Boo) turned out to be the friendliest,most lovable dog in the world and it was sad to say g'bye to him. We caught our own fish near Port Stephen and grilled them in the outdoor kitchen,my wife an i had a family room to ourselves and the toilet was inbetween the two roomed cabin.
At night sitting on the porch having a glass of wine or beer,playing a tune or two on the guitar that my son had borrowed from Samurai's owner was great fun but.....prepare for some moisquitos.
One other thing that i will remember Samurai Bungaloes for is their honesty,two days after returning to Sydney our son realised that he had left his new trainers ($220ad) in reception when leaving,he contacted Samurai and they posted them to him...that was really good of them.
If we were ever in 'that neck of the woods' again (no matter what age) we wold definately stay there,and we would recommend Samurai Bungalows to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Hooch138138
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Setup inside lush jungle...a nice place. A bit far away from places to be visited in Port stephens. Staff, the dog an python are friendly :)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2010

My husband and I are staying in YHA's across australia, this is by far our favorite spot. Mark and Sandy (the owners) were super friendly and made us feel right at home. The bungalows are really comfortable and surrounded by tropical paradise. With the beach a short walk away and all the Port Stephens has to offer a week long stay is still barely enough! We love Samurai Beach Bungalows.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple