“I can only recommend it.”

Samurai Beach Bungalows - Port Stephens YHA
Reviewed 16 February 2011

At the beginning I only wanted to stay for two nights. After some very helpful information from Sandy (one of the owners) I found a job in Nelson Bay, just ten minutes away. I ended up staying at Samurai for more than a month and didn't regret one minute of that. The atmosphere was comforting and laid back which made it the perfect place to relax after a day of work. The people working there are really nice and help you anytime you need help, information or just a tip on where to spot a koala.
The location of the hostel couldn't be better, in my point of view, because it is surrounded by subtropical rainforest which makes it an extraordinary experience. The bush kitchen is unique because it is almost completely open and just like the bungalows surrounded by nature.
There is also a lot of wildlife on the complex and the Tomaree Natoinal Park, which pretty much next door. For some city people there might a little too much wildlife but you have to keep in mind that you are basically in the rainforest. This adds to the experience ,though, and when Mark gets out their pet snake everybody is captivated.

All in all I can just say that I enjoyed my stay at Samurai and would come back any time.
Timo

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 January 2011

Arriving in Port Stephens I had no idea what to expect. Having asked the bus driver to drop me at Samurai (which he did) I found my new home for the next few days. Mark and Sandy are so friendly, helpful and accommodating. The cabins are set apart, well-sized (but not huge) clean and comfortable. The bush kitchen is fabulous and the people that I met were all so lovely. This is by no means your typical back packers hostel - it is more a retreat in the bush with the added bonus of the fabulous beaches. Most defiantly worth a visit!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Family owned and set in beautiful surroundings this Hostel has it all.
Swimming pool, bush kitchen, camp fire, koala inhabited surroundings.
If your looking for a getaway out of the hustle and bustle of city life then this place is ideal for you.
Marc and Sandy are so lovely and are never put out to help you with whatever you need.
Bikes are free to hire if you want to ride to the nearest shop (10 minutes)
If you want to explore then there are heaps of trips from dolphin/whale watching, 4x4 sand dune safari just down the road, national park, horse riding etc etc.
A must see!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 December 2010

My wife an i are over 60 and this was our first time in OZ and only our 2nd backpacking experience ever,we stayed in a family bungalow with our son,his girlfriend and girlfriends mam and also our grandaughter. We enjoyed the first night that i suggested we stay on another night,the two nights around the campfire was wonderful and 'Muldoons Bar' ? was something else ho,ho. When we arrived the first one i saw was a huge german shepherd,but he (Boo) turned out to be the friendliest,most lovable dog in the world and it was sad to say g'bye to him. We caught our own fish near Port Stephen and grilled them in the outdoor kitchen,my wife an i had a family room to ourselves and the toilet was inbetween the two roomed cabin.
At night sitting on the porch having a glass of wine or beer,playing a tune or two on the guitar that my son had borrowed from Samurai's owner was great fun but.....prepare for some moisquitos.
One other thing that i will remember Samurai Bungaloes for is their honesty,two days after returning to Sydney our son realised that he had left his new trainers ($220ad) in reception when leaving,he contacted Samurai and they posted them to him...that was really good of them.
If we were ever in 'that neck of the woods' again (no matter what age) we wold definately stay there,and we would recommend Samurai Bungalows to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Hooch138138
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Setup inside lush jungle...a nice place. A bit far away from places to be visited in Port stephens. Staff, the dog an python are friendly :)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2010

My husband and I are staying in YHA's across australia, this is by far our favorite spot. Mark and Sandy (the owners) were super friendly and made us feel right at home. The bungalows are really comfortable and surrounded by tropical paradise. With the beach a short walk away and all the Port Stephens has to offer a week long stay is still barely enough! We love Samurai Beach Bungalows.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2009

Samurai Beach Bungalows is quite difficult to get to if you do not have a car or sat nav. There is ample spaces for parking and all are close to the reception. We only stayed for one night and was happy to leave as we did not feel comfortable during our stay. When we met the receptionest she was very helpful and welcoming offering plenty of information regards to the local area.

Once we arrived in our bungalow, we found it to have everything that we needed and all seemed well. Although everything was basic we could not help but notice the creepy crawlies on the bedroom roof above our bed. All it needed was a quick dust down though and everything was back to normal. In the room was refreshments, fridge, heater and linen which was maintained and well kept.

Our main fault with the bungalows (other than not experiencing any wildlife) was that the grounds are not very disabled person friendly. There are no ramps and the paths are very poorly lit (if even lit at all). The one to our bungalow was down a muddy hill which has been freshly watered making movement for my partner quite difficult.

This place was just average for us we would not want to return and would be happy to find another hotel next time we return to port stephens. I understand that we paid and stayed in a hostel but we did not feel as though this was value for money.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Anchorage Port Stephens
#1 of 3 in Corlette
1 km away
Port Stephens Treescape Camping & Accommodation

Been to Samurai Beach Bungalows - Port Stephens YHA? Share your experiences!