Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed February 2, 2020 via mobile

Third time at the Argentiere UCPA .... it’s my favourite one! Great staff, location, equipment and absolutely awesome food!
It’s not for everyone but if you’ve stayed in a UCPA before you’ll know what it’s all about!

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed December 30, 2018 via mobile

The centre is great value, the ski pass is for the whole Valley, including the aguille de midi, I found the staff fantastic and the instructor on my ski touring course was brilliant. However, my partner had a different experience on a beginners ski course, the first lesson was at Brevant which is high and steep as opposed to Le Tour and the instructor was uninterested and apathetic.
I had fantastic skiing!
We had a twin room which is great but you pay a bit more for it. The atmosphere in the centre is wonderful and I was very impressed with the ski and equipment we were issued. the meals were amazing and we didn't eat out once as we were so impressed with the standard. You do serve your self and clear your own table,you will also have to clean and hoover your room after your stay.
The staff were fine with leaving bags before and after check in.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2018

I booked the 4-day short break ski instruction through Action Outdoors. I booked it as a solo skier and with little skiing experience I was slightly apprehensive about getting lost on the mountain! However you make friends straight away as you get put into a dorm room with others who have come alone and speak your language. You also get put into a ski group (approx 8) of your ability and you are guided around the mountain, you make friends, have fun and learn new skills as you go. My instructor Juliette was amazing! Loved every minute and will definitely be going back next year

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2017 via mobile

For anyone who hasn't heard of the UCPA, you've been missing out big time!!!
I stumbled upon the UCPA serendipitously while looking for accommodation in or around Chamonix for my summer of preparation for the Matterhorn summit. Here is what I've discovered.
Firstly, the UCPA isn't just some backpacker hostel chain. It is a not for profit organisation run by the French government, which is focussed on sport, adventure and active leisure. There is a huge number of UCPA hostels in France and abroad and don't expect to only get accommodation.
At Argentiere, the UCPA is focussed on entry level alpinism, mountaineering, mountain biking, hiking, rafting, skiing/boarding and Salsa. Yes, you can learn to Salsa here!
The hostel is beautiful and clean with views of Mont Blanc. It has a swimming pool, sauna, small climbing gym, volleyball court and great bar with a pool table and dance floor. All you can eat buffet breakfast and dinner is provided daily and is included in the price of your activity which is usually 1 week long. There is an equipment hire room which has all you need for Alpinism. Equipment hire is also included in the price of your activity.
For all of you non-francophones, here is the secret: The English version of the UCPA website is poor and does not include about 80-90% of the activities that the French version does. Therefore use the French website and let your browser translate it to English and it'll unlock tonnes of weeklong activities otherwise not available on the English version! That is how I booked my activities.
This is my fourth week here at Argentiere. At first I was worried that I'll be the only non-French guy here and although this was not far from the truth (typically the mix is 85% French, 10% Swedish, 5% other) everyone has been just awesome and have made me feel really welcome. Even the few that speak hardly any English have made an effort to chat with me and I've been doing the same thing with my extremely broken French. All the guides can speak English and are very good at what they do.
Every evening there are some activities at the bar. Tuesday is crepe day, Thursday is BBQ evening and on Friday there's a big dance party to conclude a fantastic week.
I absolutely love UCPA Argentiere and highly recommend it and any other UCPA for a holiday. It is more relaxed and has a bigger party feel than the UCPA just down the road at Chamonix which is more focussed on hard core Alpinism and summits (see my separate review). If you're young, love the mountains and want to test your limits while making fantastic new friends, take your next holiday with the UCPA. I promise you that you'll want to come back year after year.

Date of stay: August 2017
2  Thank 800DavidB800
Reviewed May 15, 2017

I did a week's boarding in Morzine at the start of January with friends. The snow wasn't great and the off-piste course I took was more dirt than snow. I decided I wanted another week away but none of my friend's had the money, that's when I found UCPA.
If you just want to do some hardcore snowboarding or skiing then this is the place. As everyone else has said rooms and food are basic but perfectly adequate. They even provide you with food for you to take with you for lunch. You could probably go on a UCPA holiday and not spend a penny!
I shared a room with 3 other English guys (by the sound of it they try to room solo travellers with people of their own nationality) but the majority of people their spoke English. It's mainly English, French and Swedish. I was a little hesitant as had never gone on this type of holiday, and have done hardly any hostelling or backpacking, (I think I stayed in a hostel for 1 night in NYC prior to this) but everyone is there for the same thing though, the snow, so you all have something in common.
I was told the Argentiere is more for the people who just want to board/ski, (although the bar was still packed most nights), and the Chamonix venue tended to be a younger crowd who liked visitng the bars and clubs of Chamonix (from Argentiere you can get the bus and night bus to/from Chamonix, and people did!). Don't get me wrong, I like to do that too but I was exhausted after every day. I'm a fit guy, I'm a triathlete and had a week of boarding under my belt already this year but the course was hard work. The snow wasn't perfect so that made it a bit more challenging but I was surprised how tired I was and was glad it wasn't frowned upon to be in bed by 9pm!
All in all this was a great holiday. If, like me, you're concerned about sharing with strangers, especially if you're a light sleeper too, don't. Bring some ear plugs and an eye mask and you'll be fine. The people on the course, including your guide (Boris was great!) will become friends, there's plenty to eat and all kinds of varieties and you'll sleep soundly through the night through exhaustion or alcohol induced slumber. Most importantly, you'll be a lot more confident and competent on or off the slopes!

Date of stay: March 2017