All reviews self catering lovely hotel the main hotel electric blankets one night stay the kitchen village units chalet suffering mountains bedroom radiator breakaway receptionist braai edge
Reviewed January 8, 2015

We celebrated Christmas 2014 in one of the self catering chalets at Arminel Hotel and had a feast. The hotel could not accommodate us for the Christmas meal so we did our own thing for which the beautiful luxury chalet, surrounded by a beautiful garden provided the ideal setting and it ended up a memorable family occasion. The hotel staff was more than willing to assist and Mavis was the most caring hostess one could ask for.
I can recommend the self catering facilities anytime and believe there is no better place to enjoy lovely Hogsback with its unique climate and atmosphere.

Date of stay: December 2014
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Tyziena
Reviewed November 8, 2014 via mobile

The self catering unit are large and spacious with beautiful views over the gardens. Central to the village its a great stop for any travellers.
However the food is very average and I would rather not eat at the hotel.

Date of stay: November 2014
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2014

It was my first stop on a 2 week country through South Africa. The hotel is set in a beautiful garden setting with a few steps to the entrance - a good old fashioned country hotel. On arrival I was met and booked in very efficiently but not welcoming. My room was adequate with a bath and shower separate - linen and room very clean. The rate includes dinner and breakfast - good old fashioned hotel style cooking with all the courses - food was tasty but not gourmet! Breakfast the same. One waitron that could hardly speak English served everybody - no problem with that but it was like being served by a robot. There is a pub but I did not make use of it. The hotel is in the mountains so expect it to be colder - hotel make provision for that with electric blanket. Did not had time to go on a walk but there seems to be a hiking path of various lengths on the estate itself. Had a good night sleep because it is very quiet with more star light than electric lights.

Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed October 28, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was stunning. Rooms large but cold cos it was snowing. However we made the most of the snow by having huge fires, massages, karaoke that kept us indoors. It was my first time in snow..
And we had ice bucket challenge, kids making snowman etc.Small excursion to the 39 steps waterfall and the little craft shops. We went to a view point...trees that are 2000years old..There is a bath tub right at the edge of a steep fall and visitors love getting into the bath and taking picture. You look as if you are at the edge of the world...the inspiration for the movie LORD OF THE RING came from Hogsback..

Date of stay: August 2014
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is more like a 2 star than 3. While the setting and gardens are pretty the rooms are in dire need of an upgrade. The bathroom was shabby, old and tired. The food, off a set menu, made me feel like I was back at boarding school. The staff were friendly enough but did not go out of their way to make you welcome.

Date of stay: October 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoryDMorrison