A last minute mistake led us to switching hotels to the Radisson in St. Marteen and WOW- I couldn't have asked for a luckier mistake.
The renovated rooms have all the modern luxuries yet still had that warm, island charm to them. They had sleep number beds, free internet (didn't work too well for Macs, but they let me borrow a chord to fix the problem), USB capable DVD players, etc. The lobby is gorgeous and inviting, huge and open, Southern Plantation style with high ceilings and little sitting areas. Like the rooms, this area seemed modern and updated, yet open and inviting. The overlook a huge, excellently maintained garden-ish center walkway that divides the two sections of rooms, lit up with foutains and all that. Perfectly Carribean-esque. I seriously believe whoever was in charge of this hotel's renovation should win an award.
The hotel was also fun and lively. They have one of the biggest pools in Saint Martin so that no matter how many people there are, there's always room to sun bathe/ swim without feeling crowded. The beach is beautiful, white soft sand and calm, clear, warm water. On the beach you can rent kayaks for free- I suggest you do! The guide told us about a secluded beach which was a short ride away, fun little free outing. They also have croquet and volley ball set up, I saw some people playing during the afternoons. When the sun went down, there were always people just chilling in the lobby, having drinks from the bar. It was a fun to see this because the Caribbean is all too often dead at night. One night we were there they held a special buffet dinner with music, which was cute and easy (no traveling involved). The Spa and work out area are both very nice as well. Overall, this hotel makes those stay-in days fun for all.
The only downside was the food. Though breakfast was great (big buffet), the rest of the food was expensive and not so great. The choices also weren't that wide, if I could make a change it would be to have more American-styled food or greater salad options. However, the hotel does have two restaurants and two additional restaurants neighboring it. Room service was really cool- they set up a little table in your room, with a small centerpiece and candle, etc. This was a neat surprise.
Other things to note are the amazing employees, they were all so friendly and nice. Bring bug spray, I got a few mosquito bites on the trip. And also, the location is somewhat hidden, which didn't seem to be a problem for us because we didn't rent a car and didn't travel out of the hotel much, however if you do rent a car it's difficult driving and if you taxi it's expensive/call ahead or you'll have to wait. American's watch out because the prices are in Euros so you often don't realize how much you're spending till you get the bill.
I could (and already have) babbled on forever about this amazing hidden gem, I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the Hotel The Hotel Riu Palace St. Martin, situated at the beachfront on the Caribbean island of St. Martin, is the perfect place for a dream vacation and it's ready for you to enjoy all the amenities and services RIU offers to its guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, West Indies, HotelQuickly, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace St Martin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Blu Resort, Marina & Spa St. Martin Hotel Anse Marcel
- Radisson Blu Resort, Marina And Spa St. Martin
- Radisson Anse Marcel
- Anse Marcel Radisson
- Hotel Riu Palace St Martin St. Maarten-St. Martin/Anse Marcel, Saint-Martin