“Great Vacation”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Anse Marcel
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

We arrived for a two week trip on August 31.
Its a beautiful resort, amazing beach and pool. I travelled with two kids under 5 and it was kid friendly. The staff was very helpful and joyful. The buffet was amazing and had variety. We enjoyed all meals. The night entertainment needs a bit more help but it was fine and we had fun. It is true that there is upgrades that need to be done. The room was clean but the tiles, carpet and paint were tired. However, it was confortable and clean. What a beautiful island and property. We booked a sail to st-barts and we had a wonderful time with the seaduction crew. Our stay was interrupted by Irma and 4 days into our vacation we were sent back home. However, we really wish to go back one day, this was an amazing place nestled in a beautiful cove and we have wonderful memories of our stay. I wish all people from st-martin, st-barts and Anguilla the best of luck, my thoughts and prayers are with them while they are recovering from Irma.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,365)

Reviewed 7 September 2017

recently stayed at this beautiful property nestled in a bay. the grounds were clean, the food was delicious and the entire resort complex was peaceful and fun. the variety activities available pool side made it possible for us to stay without having to venture elsewhere. overall we enjoyed our experience and would return here again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pvaltas
Reviewed 5 September 2017

We had a terribly horrific vacation at the RIU Palace in St Marteen. Our room and our friends room were infested with bed bugs. We were bitten multiple times before we realized the beds were infested with bed bugs. The Riu had no doctor on sight so we had to wait until we got back to the USA to seek medical attention. When we consulted with the Assistant Manager Clement Perna he indicated the rooms would be inspected by the Pest Control Company and the RIU's Health and Hygiene department and we would be given a report. I have asked The Riu numerous times but they have yet to release the report and it's been two months. The bed bug issue itself was a horrific ordeal but the carpet in the room was stained, dirty and gross. The hotel is very dated and desperately needs to be update. The iguanas that roam the pool area are something to see until you see them urinate and defacate in the pool while
guest are swimming. This was no vacation and caused us a lot of anxiety. We had to cancel our excursion, which we booked in the hotels lobby, due to the multiple bed bug bites we had. The excursion company would not refund our money because we didn't go to town to the doctor. This was not a vacation of relaxation but one of GREAT stress and anxiety.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
5  Thank missy914
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns. As a service minded hotel chain, it is disappointing to hear that you encountered inconveniences in our property as mentioned in your review and that it caused your holiday to be less enjoyable.

We are informed that you are already in contact with our Customer Service Team who is doing a proper follow up regarding your case.

We hope to get the chance to welcome you again at one of our RIU hotels in order to deliver the high standards of guest service and quality which are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,

Online Reputation Manager
RIU.com

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel, situated on the French side of the island (Anse Marcel), is not 5* perfect but it is definitely one of the nicest Caribbean places that we ever visited.

3 years ago, Riu purchased the hotel from the Raddison chain and they have made it a great all inclusive family hotel. It is in a secluded area, surrounded by mountains and the Caribbean Sea, across from the British island of Anguilla. The staff is very friendly and they make every effort to please. Tips are not expected but much appreciated as salaries cover life's basic necessities, but not much more.

One of the best things about this hotel is the food. The buffet has lots of choices and the 3 more formal restaurants (Steakhouse, La Mer and Krystal) serve excellent cuisine with great presentation.

The beach is spectacular and there are lots of shaded areas to keep cool. The pool is huge and good for all the family with one end set up as a beach while the deep end is just over 5' deep.

The rooms are clean and roomy but the best views are actually overlooking the mountain across the water way leading to the marina. Ocean front is not available and ocean view is only that, a small view from far.

Don't jump when an iguana (like island dogs) shows up and makes itself at home right next to you.

There is plenty to do at the resort, but day trips to visit the island are a must, made easy buy renting a car from the on sight Hertz agency. In fact, a 24hr rental of a small car costs less then a taxi ride, so go for it. Parking on the island is easy and a day trip into Marigot, Grand Case or Philipsburg will allow you to visit other beautiful beaches of the island.

If you feel adventurous, there are excursions to other islands in the French West Indies, such as St-Barth and Anguilla.

We would definitely return to this beautiful island hotel.

3  Thank Paul E
Reviewed 28 August 2017

We have just got back from St. Martin. We stayed at The Riu Palace We occupied two rooms: 2228-2230. We loved this hotel because of its complete seclusion. It was quiet, serene, nice and had a wonderful feel to it. The grounds were impeccably done, well maintained and well taken care of. The service was great, staff was amazing and anything in between was where it was supposed to be.
The beach was nice and had no rough waves or any waves at all. You could either swim for hours or just sit and do nothing. It's also kids friendly.
The food was good. the buffet offers a variety of dishes that suit all kinds of pallets. And as long as you aren't fussy, you won't go hungry. There are three restaurants. My favorite is La Mer.
The entertainment needs amelioration, but we didn't care. We made friends from different countries and had a great time. All and all, this hotel is a wonderful place to sit, relax and enjoy your holidays. I also donated one of my books to the pool library. It is called: Whispers and Shadows.If you ever have a chance to read it, please make sure to go online a put a review. I would greatly appreciated it. And yes, I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends. Enjoy and cheers!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same. They are good and comfortable
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Njbella154943
Reviewed 23 August 2017

I came to St. Martin 8-4 thru 8-11 for my 40th birthday. I traveled with 2 girlfriends and this was truly supposed to be " A Girl's trip!" I previously stayed at Riu properties in Cancun on 2 separate occasions. They were modern, and the all-inclusive packages were worth it because of the many options. So I was surprised find the Riu Palace in St.Martin in need of several updates. A few employees did inform us that the Riu had taken over this property about 3 years ago, and they were still in many transition phases. Upon arrival the lobby is your first experience. It was dated. The furniture, the employee uniforms and the overall appearance was disheartening. However the front desk personnel - especially Janelle was very welcoming and professional. We were given our keys and handed a welcome cocktail from one of the best bartenders the Riu has to offer Me'line. In fact we made it a point to visit the lobby bar for her specialty cocktails. Our Bellman David was awesome! So friendly and welcoming. He answered many of our initial questions regarding activities and things to do on the island. He escorted us to our rooms. The courtyard was gorgeous and the views were amazing. My second moment of hesitation was entering the actual hotel. The hallways and elevator really needs work. The elevator was extremely small. In fact David sent the 3 of us up 1st and he took the elevator after us. There was no possible way for 4 adults and luggage to fit on this elevator. The hallways need paint updates and the carpeting needs to be replaced. Our rooms were ok. Beachy feel with light wood and bright colors. The bathrooms did appear to have been updated. If you go on vacation to relax in your room then you might want to try another hotel. However if you want gorgeous scenery, beautiful beaches and pretty good food then this place is for you. I would have liked more options for the 24 hour room service.There is aVERY LIMITED selection. Nachos, Club Sandwich, Cesar Salad and maybe 2 more things. This is not good when the normal restaurants close at 330 to prepare for dinner service at 630. During this time frame you are limited for food options. The safe in my room kept breaking and not locking. I will say that the 2 times that I called the front desk they did send someone up immediately. After the 2nd time it was really fixed. Also our request for additional towels were met everyday. Housekeeping did an excellent job keeping the older property clean. The electrical socket in our room also was broken and had to be replaced so that we had the ability to charge American cell phones. This request was also met immediately by the front desk. We did see the manager on several occasions in passing. He spoke but there was no extra communication. Overall the scenery and staff would be the reason to revisit the Riu. Bar Staff: Me'line, Domonique, Christian,Pipo, Annie, Eddy and Ranonda were awesome. They made us feel special at every meeting and even remembered what each of us liked to drink! Front desk staff Janelle was superb. She assisted me with a problem regarding an excursion and was very apologetic for the error even though it was not her fault. David the Bellman was friendly and gives you that "island vibe" from the first time he greets you. One area of caution. BE CAREFUL if you book with Island Reps. They neglected to pick us up for the Tango Dinner Cruise our last night on the island. There was no legitimate reason given, but they did refund our deposit. Riu - if you endorse this company I hope this error is addressed. We missed the opportunity for a beautiful memory because they never came to pick us up!. In conclusion I have traveled many places and always elect an all-inclusive package. Usually a 4-star rating has never given me pause prior to booking. The Riu St. Martin definitely need some work for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the courtyard. Beautiful views an gorgeous landscaping
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stephanie M
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Just returned from 5 nights at the Riu Palace St Martin. It's slow season so the hotel was not packed, pool and beach were accessible and no waits at the restaurants. This property is not the typical Riu, and you can tell. I assume they will slowly update to meet Riu Standards but overall a beautiful Property.

The property
The hotel is on the French side which is quiet and peaceful. Most activities closed by 1130pm/12am so if you are a social butterfly and want to keep the party going, this place is not for you.
The grounds were well maintained with beautiful landscaping/gardens and accessible well lit paths to navigate.

The room
We stayed in room 1332. This is on the 3rd floor at the end of the building nearest the beach and restaurants. There is only 1 elevator closest to the lobby so we took the stairs quite a bit. Rooms was neat and clean and serviced appropriately. Mini bar was always stocked and beds and towels refreshed. Nothing over the top and everything met our expectations. On the balcony we had a view of the courtyard. There is a bar to hang wet clothes and beach towels to dry. This was a nice touch as it kept the chairs free for us to sit on and enjoy.

The pool
The pool is beautiful. Yes like the other reviews noted a pool bar would really be nice. The pool is fenced so there are only a few access points in and out of the pool area. To get to the bar is a bit of a walk depending on where you are sitting. I never had issues trying to locate chairs most likely due to the fact it's low season.

Beach towels
At check in you get 2 cards that you can exchange for beach towels at check out you have to return the cards. Great system for keeping track of the towels instead of swiping room keys. Towels were available near the pool from 9am to 430pm.

The Restaurants
There are 4 restaurants and due to low season, never had a problem waiting or finding a table for 6. We ate at all 3: the French themed restaurant and Steak Restaurant share the same location and were only available for dinner.

The French restaurant had very good seafood selections and was my favorite

The Steak restaurant was the least favorite. Coming from Chicago, the steak did not meet my expectations, and I have had good steak. I ordered a new your strip steak Medium and it had little flavor and was quite tough. Maybe if i order d medium rare it may of been better but we never returned. Some people in our party thought the steak was good so to each their own. We didn't finish our meals and immediately made our way the buffet for a snack and dessert.

The krystal
This is their fancy restaurant where you needed to dress up to attend-- I did not try it.

The buffet
This was opened for all three meals and was overall very good. Various selections and the menu changed every day.
At breakfast look for the mimosas and bloody Mary's that you can serve your self.

Service at the restaurants was hit or miss. Some were very attentive while others could care less.
I guess it is.

The Lobby Bar
This was our meeting place for our entire party of 6. Much thanks to Dominick the bar tender. He was there every night and such a pleasure to see. He has such a great personality, easy to connect with and makes the time enjoyable. I work in a service oriented industry and know a good worker when I see one. I would hire him in a heart beat. He always kept himself busy, once the guests were served drinks, you can observe him constantly cleaning, organizing, refilling and keeping us entertained at the same time. He even honored my cousins request to make a coconut margarita. This guy is the bread and butter at the bar and needs to be kept on staff. Others can learn from him. Ask for him at the lobby bar.. you will see exactly what I mean.

Estabia??? She was great also. We only saw her one of the nights and she was working hard to service the guests. There was one guest who ordered a lot of drinks because it was last call.... the nerve of her.... she had Estabia running around to fulfill her order, and she never showed her frustration. I hope the guest gave her a great tip at the end of her vacation. I felt so bad for Esabia.

Next to the bar is a self serve area. They have an espresso machine to make coffee, lattes etc. a refrigerator with water and minimal snacks. Snack availability is hit or miss depending on time of day.

Tips
Rent a car and see the island. Orient bay, Simpson bay, Marigot, Phillipsburg... all a 15-30 minute drive

There is a car rental on the property and I felt it was reasonably priced. For 5 days we had a minivan for 6 people costing around $200

Air conditioning is only available in the room and Buffett. I had brought some cute dresses and high heels and my curling iron. Never wore them nor was my hair in any shape to keep down and styled. Definitely a beach resort with beach attire and flip flops all day unless you want to eat at Krystal.

The front desk will make change for you. US Dollar for Dollar. This was helpful to tipping.

3  Thank mygaby
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such honest and detailed feedback. We appreciate your positive comments about the beauty of our resort and our French ‘La Mer’ restaurant.

On the other hand, we were surprised to read your comments about our waiting staff. At RIU we take pride in our customer service as this is one of the key values of our company and staff is constantly trained to maintain optimal standards. We will send your comments to management in case these standards have not been appropriately fulfilled at some point.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back at one of our RIU hotels soon in order to deliver the high standards of guest service and quality which are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,

10.9 km away
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
10.8 km away
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Hotel Riu Palace St Martin? Share your experiences!