Casa Grande Mountain Retreat
US$110
US$140
US$105
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmorning yoga classceiling fanyoga roompuerto ricobeautiful mountainsget away from it allno air conditioningrooms are basicpeace and quiethiking trailssmall poolold san juanforestcordilleraaccommodationsmountainsidepr
Reviewed February 14, 2012

If you prefer a nice get-away with good food and pretty views, this is the place. In Puerto Rico the beaches are great and San Juan is fascinating, but don’t disregard the beautiful interior of the island. This is a great location to tour some of this region.

We did have a problem of the power going out on our second evening and stayed out for about 18 hours. But the staff did their best in a pinch to be creative and find a way to serve food and provide lighting.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Keith B
Reviewed February 6, 2012

A very nice oasis but hard to find. We had to stop 3 times to ask for directions and finally got someone to let us follow them who was going by it. The roads are a pothole disaster on the way to the hotel.

Road noise was quite high given the speed that cars we going on the road just below our room. Great views but the tranquility was spoiled.

Food was fairly priced and very good. Good selection at breakfast and dinner.

Room Tip: Too close to the road and you will have road noise all night long.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bills_pix
Reviewed January 25, 2012

The place is great! The resaurant is awesome! Breakfest even better! I really enjoyed my stay! I stayed in July 2011 and the weather was perfect, the place is so beutifull. I have never seen nothing like it and i'am from Bayamon, PR.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Alexpuertorico
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Casa Grande offers a tranquil setting. It is situated in the mountains of an old coffee plantation. The flowers and trees are exotic and grand. This draws beautiful humming birds. The setting is tranquil. The rooms are very basic there is no tv or radio. The cafes food is wonderful. A little hard to get to but worth the trip. Owner is present but aloof.

• Stayed: January 2012
proprietor44, Owner at Casa Grande Mountain Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Thank you for your incisive comments. I'm delighted you enjoyed the Casa Grande experience but saddened to learn that I was considered aloof. I make an effort to be friendly and helpful to all our guests. Apparently, I'm not always successful and in the light of this review I'll make a greater effort.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

I spent two nights at the Casa Grande Mountain Retreat. It is a 30 minute drive on small country roads once you leave Utuado, the nearest city. The road is windy and narrow, but there really wasn't too much traffic getting there; it was manageable. From the name of the inn, I was expecting a more quiet experience, especially after having been at Ceiba Country Inn a few nights prior. The inn itself is well kept with a good, competent, friendly staff. There is an awesome yoga studio available for use if a class doesn't happen during your visit. Two or more people are needed to run a class. The pros: the place is lovely in a beautiful removed mountain setting with comfortable cabins. You can sit out on the balcony or hang in a hammock, you can sit in the common eating area, or lounge by the pool. In the afternoon the clouds come over the mountain and you can watch and listen to the rain fall. The cons: being that it's on a mountain side, you can hear all manner of noise from any nearby housing, and also from the few cars going up and down the road. Wednesday night is evangelical night, so we were subjected to loud speaker preaching and hallelulia singing for quite a while as the car with the mounted speakers made its way up the mountain. This was not very retreat-like. The sounds of nature were few and far between; no symphony of coquis here. We were fortunate to not have neighbors in our cabin, but it was obvious that sound carries easily from one guest accommodation to another. The trek from the car is up some steep steps which is hard for less mobile guests. The worst part is the remoteness of the place in terms of not having food choices. The restaurant there was great, and the chef really good, and I'm glad because there was no where else to eat! They only served breakfast and dinner, so you really needed to have your own food for lunch. I found this inconvenient if you didn't want to make the trek all the way to Utuado. I think we were hard up because it was holiday week and places were closed. No meals were included in the price. I didn't find Casa Grande idyllic enough for the inconvenience of the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without neighbors if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends