“Refreshing stop”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utuado
Casa Grande Mountain Retreat
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Utuado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 May 2017

Made reservations because we wanted to check out the Cordillera Central. Lodging is limited in this part of Puerto Rico and this place looked like an interesting spot to get away from things. By pure luck I had taken a look at my confirmation the morning I left Ponce and it advised me to download the directions from the Casa Grande website as it warned that Google Maps directions may take you into uncharted territory. But, we wanted to visit St German on the way and didn't want to backtrack to Ponce to get to Casa Grande so I tried to follow Google Maps from St German. Very scary experience and I still have no idea were Google Maps was directing me. Finally, found my way back to a paved road and showed a gas station attendant were I was trying to go and he directed us back to Ponce from were I followed the proprietor's directions and made it there before sundown. After that adventure there was no were I was going to suggest we take any day trips from Casa Grande although it looks like there are plenty of interesting places to visit nearby.
The place is very nice, clean and comfortable and a great place to chill out in the mountains. The fan is all you need if you get warm and it was warm in the days we were there. At night it is comfortable the fan will cool you if you need it, but there is only 1 speed, high and that comes with some noise which you may want if you do not like the sound of the birds. We both did get massages from a fine masseuse. The breakfasts and dinners were good, even the second night when the chef did not show up the staff came through with dinner for everyone. The pool was nice and well maintained and welcoming as it was sunny and warm when we were there. They have a bar. We brought our own wine and beer and they gave us as much ice as we needed. Very accommodating staff. Easy ride to San Juan airport to turn in rental car with time for full afternoon in San Juan after returning car

Room Tip: I assume all of the rooms are similar. You may want to see if one is accessible with fewer stairs to...

Reviewed 1 May 2017

The are few dining options in rural Utuado but this is one of them. We did our best to hurry here well before closing so we could enjoy a local meal in paradise. We both had fish of the day which tasted bland and boiled as well as a mountain of bland and over boiled veggies that were softer than baby food. Probably would have been a better dining experience had our server had any sort of personality. No communication issues. We speak Spanish. When I asked for a mojito the server stated nobody was available to cut their home grown mint even though there was indeed other staff there. Thankfully we found other dining options the other nights which had amazing tasty food and friendlier service.

Reviewed 26 April 2017

My first visit to Casa Grande was last week and I am already preparing my return trip. The positive reviews were on target. We were warmly greeted at the front desk and the short walk to our room was rewarded by lush landscaping and mountain views. Our room was clean and the bed was was heaven. The patio with chairs and a hammock was the perfect place to relax, read and listen to the sounds of nature. When I did not think it could get better we were treated to a freshly prepared dinner and wonderful service (the homemade sangria is the best). The pinnacle was back at our room sitting under the stars, which was enhanced by the nearby babbling brook. Thank you for maintaining such a lovely sanctuary and creating happy memories.

Room Tip: I truly there is now a bad room at the resort. Every room has a patio and wonderful view
Reviewed 22 April 2017

Went there reluctantly for my wife's birthday, since they do not have TV, internet, or AC. Our afternoon started off great, with a hike through a small mountain followed by two Malbecs and a sangria for my wife. Albeit the bar was closed, the lady in the front desk was great, since she served our drinks. Dinner was healthy, with fresh ingredients, and it was one of the best rice with chicken I have had in Puerto Rico. Had hummus as appetizer, and they had plenty of vegetarian dishes. Amy wife had a very good pasta with pesto. Beds were comfortable, and the room was clean, and cool with the ceiling fan. They had alternative milks for breakfast, and the oatmeal was made with almond milk and coconut syrup, which was great, since my wife is allergic to dairy. I had the omelet and a plate of fruits. A great experience overall with extremely nice and well trained staff. Beautiful place, since it sits on the base of mountains.

Stayed: April 2017
Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

I was here for breakfast, dinner, and a morning yoga class! The food was healthy and of high quality! The staff was very kind and welcoming! Even the owner, Steve, spent time talking with me about the morning yoga class before I signed up for it! I took a class the next morning with Veeta and one other guest which was very relaxing! I want to address a previous review on March 21st written by Caton F. I was shocked to read such a review! Turns out I was there on the same day as this reviewer and I can assure you that his review was not as it was in reality. The minor repair that was being done on the walk way didn't bother me because obviously I just simply walked around the small patch of concrete being repair. It wasn't rocket science! I didn't need guidance even though there was plenty of staff there to help if I needed. Also the food was extremely fresh and healthy! That's why I ate two lovely meals there. My dinner was fabulous but if I had needed something I would have resolved it the same way I got my meal by simply walking into the dining area and saying hello! This place has such an incredible atmosphere I can't imagine anyone being there and not tuning in to the positive vibes! I will DEFINITELY be back next time I visit Utuado!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2017 via mobile

This place is amazing. We enjoyed the peace and quiet. The charm of this place for me is that it's in the mountains, far away from everything. If you are looking for amenities, this is not it. If you want a place to unwind and enjoy the tranquility of nature, you have found your niche. The rooms are basic, 2 beds with a ceiling fan. There's storage to organize your things. The bathroom is a good size. I love the hammock outside. It's perfect to spend the in reading a book. We took two kids with us and a bunch of games and toys. They enjoyed themselves as much as we did. We hiked the trail and explored the river a little. We also spent a good amount of time playing in the pool and watching the lizards and birds. The restaurant is good enough to where to don't have to leave. Breakfast was my favorite, especially the coffee and fresh fruit.

If you go, bring a good book and the desire to connect with nature!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

If you want to get away, be close to nature, relax and meditate this is your place! What a beautiful experience is this hotel. It also has a really nice restaurant. There is no air conditioning but you don't need it. We slept to the sound of a river near by. The place is very quiet and in the middle of the mountain. Each cabin has a private balcony where you can relax and enjoy the view. Loved it and cant wait to go back!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utuado
43.2 km away
Villa Cofresi Hotel
#1 of 7 in Rincon
53.3 km away
Howard Johnson Inn Downtown Mayaguez PR

Been to Casa Grande Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!