“Go-to Cape Town dive guys”
Review of Alpha Dive Centre

Alpha Dive Centre
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Alpha is undoubtedly the go-to outfit for Cape Town diving. The owners, Ettienne and Lynn have several decades of dive mastery between them, and run their operation with a rare blend of care and efficiency. No safety precaution is left out of the mix, and their dive spot knowledge is excellent, whether local, in Sodwana or Mozambique, Thailand or the Red Sea, or even more exotic locations.
These are PADI pro's second to none and I highly recommend them.

1  Thank Erica_Liebenberg

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Alpha Dive Centre, has a dedicated staff who are always willing to assist where they can. The instructors are capable and encouraging. The shop is well organized and every underwater enthusiasts dream destination. The intoxicating smell of neoprene and the friendly smiles of staff make it a great place to stop by for a chat. A big thank you to Ettienne Raal, Damon Hopwood and Warrick Hopwood for their great service.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

My friend and I recently did the Padi course through Alpha Dive Centre and they made it fun and a great learning experience. I highly recommend that if you are planning to dive or to get your diving licence, to do it through Alpha Dive Centre.

1  Thank asdbele
Reviewed July 3, 2014

A couple of friends and I recently did our PADI Open Water Diver certifications at Alpha Dive Centre in Strand.

We had a great experience with excellent service - the staff really came through for us, fitting us into a tight timeline in order to get the qualifications before we leave on vacation. Giving clear and valuable instruction they made you feel safe and comfortable in what was sometimes less than ideal conditions for diving.

During our qualifying dives we dived at different wrecks in Simonstown - nothing as impressive as the SS Thislegrom, but still very exciting for a first and second dive! The water is bit cold, making it a good idea to have fresh water or coffee and a snack handy when you return to shore. Also be warned that it can take a bit longer than you expect (kit out, get to the dive site, do the briefing, dive, post-dive logging, returning from the dive site, returning the equipment and rinsing it). Diving can be a whole day activity, even if you're only in the water for an hour.

The gear used for the qualifying dives is training equipment and has been used a lot, but is still in fairly good condition and definitely safe for diving. I never felt uncomfortable using it, and if you do they'd replace it.

Alpha Dive Centre is also a shop specializing in diving equipment, which means that they sell high quality products. For recreational purposes you'll probably get away cheaper if you purchase a common snorkel, mask and booties from a general store. But if you are serious about the sport they have good gear on offer.

Thanks to what I experienced with them I am now more excited than ever about SCUBA diving, and really looking forward to doing it again!

See more reviews
Reviewed May 23, 2014

The wife and I did an Enriched Air course in preparation for our "live on board" adventure that will take place in the near future. It was the first time that I have met Etienne and the first time I have seen the shop in the Strand, I was impressed with both. Etienne's aura/spirit is very positive and both my wife and I liked him instantly. The shop to gives one a feeling of "been right at home" , it is well stocked and the atmosphere is great. The EANx course itself was informative and Etienne's great sense of humor kept us entertained no end. I think this was the start of a long relationship that the Hurn family is going to have with Alpha Dive Centre. Thank you Etienne.