All reviews high standard molton brown toiletries beef wellington drumlanrig castle top floor haggis and black pudding fixtures and fittings first floor young staff local hotel cooked to perfection lovely hotel no lift booked a table function room roaring fire lounge bar
Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

Really lovely staff and welcoming atmosphere. The menu however was expensive and limited. The food that arrived did not fit the description or the price! A vanilla panne cotta with rhubarb that arrived as a panne cotta and mixed berries without announcement. Every poached egg was over cooked and food lacked seasoning.
The waitress took a note of all of our requests however most of which were overlooked. Offered Fevertree which we accepted but then given Schweppes and charged for Fevertree!
Overall for the price the food fell well below expectations and let down a brilliant waitress.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 12logank
Reviewed May 14, 2018 via mobile

Room 1 - 11th -13th May

Cost stated on booking.com on date of booking £280.

(I ordered the rooms for the Beccleuch at least 6 months in advance this room in particular I had booked for myself and my partner as we were staying longer than my mum and dad at first but then plans changed and i couldnt book the second room for 2 nights so we swapped.)

The first room was lovely, it was situated on the ground floor and was a little semi detatched cottage out the back of the hotel, the room was spotless and the bathroom was lovely.

Breakfast came included in the price and left much to be desired, my mum who stayed in this room said that although the room was lovely it is a shame the breakfast did not live up to the hype, the breakfast was dry and underwhelming, luckely though there was a continental breakfast to make up for it.

Room 2 - 12th - 13th

Cost £100 (I am unsure as to weather the room is always cheaper or was just discounted as stated on booking.com when i booked the room)

Firstly as I was under the impression this room was simply discounted to try to fill the last of the rooms as i did not see any other room offers for this hotel at the time i booked this second room.
I would have been more than happy to pay the full price had the room been anything like my mums or my friends who was also staying on the same nights as both of these rooms were spacious, nicely decorated with fantastic luxury bathrooms, i understand this room was stated as a standard double so i was not overly gutted about the size as this room was fairly small and odly shaped and considering a premier in room would only cost 40 quid and would be much more spacous it did deflate my exitement somewhat but the decor and small but pretty bathroom made up for this.

Checking in was quick and easy, we were then escorted to our room and began the walk to the top of the building (our friend was also on the same floor), as we were introduced to our room we noticed that not only was the room small and strangely shaped it was also uncomfortably hot, the room is located right next to the boiler and although the heating was not on the room felt close to 30°C even with the window wide open and the small desk fan on although it was a little warmer outside than usual the heat in this room was crazy; our friends room which was also on the same floor was no where near as hot and not at all stuffy, needless to say we were far from a good nights sleep even with the window wide open, we couldn't even put the fan on while we slept as it made so much noise (almost like it was in pain ... joke), this sound was only riveled by the constant sound of the boiler clunking as people used taps and showers throughout the building, I and my partner were kept awake all night.

Now I am normally aware of the old saying you get what you pay for however at £50 per person for this room ... only £20 less than the room we would have been staying in (Room 1) I definatly expected at least something other than a desk fan as this just pushed arround the hot air, the contribution to the heat was also from the whole building as heat rises.

Personally i would not rent this room out to guests unless they make adjustments to accomodate for the heat.

So in conclusion if you see a discounted room at the Buccleuch be aware of the above, however the majority of the rooms here are lovely and as far as breakfast goes ... the cafe accross the road from the hotel does fantstic breakfasts.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Robyn D
Reviewed May 7, 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely stay at this hotel. The room was clean and very comfortable with a big bath plus a separate very modern shower room. The staff were lovely, particularly the barman and the mum and daughter from Harrogate (our home town). But, some of the younger staff did seem a bit dippy, but in a nice way. They were really trying but needed a responsible adult there to help really. One review we read talked of a 5 minute wait between asking for sauce and it arriving. We had exactly the same experience. We had a lovely Sunday roast, really enjoyed the beef and the lamb and the veg was good too. Asked for horseradish and waited the 5 minutes with the waitress I’d asked returning with more food for a different table before bringing our horseradish. Nice beers, really friendly staff and a comfortable clean room, we can forgive the inexperienced young staff. They’ll all come good with the attitudes and smiley personalities they had. Would definitely eat and stay there again. Thank you.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2018

Delicious food and wine, comfortable rooms, clean bathrooms, friendly staff, lovely beer garden... Can't wait to come back BQA, it's always a pleasure visiting you for dinner or a short stay. Thank you!

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2018

On our way from Strachur home to Derbyshire we stopped at Thornhill for lunch. What a find the Buccleuch & Queensberry Arms Hotel was. We were greeted warmly and shown to a table in the dining room for lunch. Our order came very promptly and was delicous. The service was excellent. Would definitely come here again and if on our way north for another holiday would most likely book a room for the night to break our journey. A lovely experience. Thanks to all concerned.

Date of stay: April 2018