All reviews fish dive guide muck diving octopus boat crew standard room pygmy seahorses dive resort great diving the cottages night dive new managers food was great friendly resort special thanks wish list mantis shrimp
Reviewed May 21, 2018

I work for PADI Travel, selling diving liveaboard and dive resort trips for a living; been diving literally all over the world, and this was my second time diving extensively in Indonesia. On this last trip in April/May, I had the chance to visit Two Fish Lembeh and Two Fish Bunaken, which are both reachable out of Manado (MDC) airport, and within a couple hours distance of one another, so it made perfect sense to combine both for one amazing week (or longer!) of diving.

Transfer between the two is very easy, and you don’t even have to miss a full dive day in between (if you plan your departure ahead, and the resorts provide reliable and affordable transportation as well!). It just takes a 1.5-2 hour drive and a 45-minute boat ride from one to the other.

The accommodation and service at both Two Fish resorts was simply TOP: the rooms were impeccable, and I felt like I was in my own very piece of paradise. I stayed in one of the cottages (standard and superior available), which is perfect for a couple or a family respectively. The facilities were spacious and in excellent shape. Staff and dive guides were expert and quite friendly. Reception and management were also very easy-going, REALLY warm, welcoming, and attentive. English was spoken (although not native-fluent, yet perfectly understandable).

The resort in Lembeh is the newest addition to the Two Fish family of resorts, so the premises are quite new and in great shape. It lies literally between the shore and the wild jungle. The resort also has a dive shop and its very own PADI 5* Dive Center. The food was quite enjoyable, and the view from the topmost superior cottage was a sight to behold. There is also bar/lounge area to relax after you come from a great day of diving. If you want to maximize your dive time, you have the possibility to do up to 4 dives per day (including night dive), at an extra surcharge from the regular 2 per day. Really worth it in my opinion.

The diving in Lembeh vs. Bunaken will be quite different, but truly excellent in both locations: Lembeh, on one hand, is well known for “muck” diving, which is diving in sandy/gritty sea bottom, without the best visibility, BUT, where there are LOTS of strange and unusual bottom-dwellers that are masters of disguise. There is really PLENTY to see if your eyes are truly OPEN. It's the perfect place to test those who enjoy finding hidden marine critters. On my short time in Lembeh, I saw the famed and elusive blue-ring octopus two days in a row (!!!), hairy frog fish, squid, and many others.

Bunaken, on the other hand, is known for their multiple coral walls and crystal-clear waters, and it is just a PARADISE for turtles (most turtles I have seen in my life in one place).

To get your OW certification or AOWD and other miscellaneous PADI courses, both locations are great, but there will be better visibility in Bunaken, while there will be less current in Lembeh.

As a Scuba Travel Expert from PADI Travel, I REALLY recommend the Two Fish Lembeh (and Bunaken) dive resorts, and give both of them two big thumbs up!

Room Tip: Choose the topmost superior cottage (number 5) for the best view in the whole resort.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed February 10, 2018

First of all, I had many problems with the person in charge of the reservation, named Dody. He did not understand the question and keep doing "copy/past" to answer, does not answer, made a lot of mstrakes... itI took me 12 days to know what I wanted, witch was basic questions...

Plus I had to sent a deposit for the booking, and he kept telling me the money was not arrived there during one week while in fact I found back it was on their bank account one day after I paid. Next to that, he was not able was was the best way to pay (there are many available) and 20€ to 114€ are gone (plus my bank commission), no one knows where... They are not able to explain why the bank takes sometimes huge commissions, sometimes not, and they dont really inform customers about that.

The dives where very disappointing as well, 3 bad, 2 average, and one good...the last one. The best place in the world for macro ? Plus, the 2nd guide I had was not good for the management of the dives : it was obvious that he just do was he use to do all the time, without adaptation to the current or the situation. His English was terrible, as well as the "briefings"... He spent 50mn searching a blue ring octopus that he never found in a place where there was almost nothing interesting, then I was bored and got cold and came up with 80 bars, and found out that there was very nice corails around the boat, but it was too late... Another time, we explored a wreck, and he fight against the curent and went down 28 meters where there was not a lot of life, while the other side of the boat the conditions where good for the current and a lot of coral. I had to go down slowly because my ear had a problem to equalise, and despite I told him he keep following "his program" We spent the end of the dive in the blue kicking for what...? There was nothing, and my safety stop was finished for a long time. I got bored again, nothing to see on this side while the other group had a good dive management and saw much more life.

Despite of this, thanks to the guy that help me to find out the "mistakes" of Dody at the main office and the 2 Australians who were managing the place that upgraded my accommodation trying to compensate. The difference of price (standard instead of budget) was 41€, while I lost 120€ because I had to book another place ticket thinking the money was not arrived and 20€ that nobody knows exactly why it is more commission than the most expensive way of payment in the world. So I lost 140€ because of the "mistakes" and bad informations and had bad dives...

I also had a bad stomach after I ate at their restaurant during 3 days, but is was not that bad, I just got a little bit fever one day, but got cold because of that the 3 rd day of diving, and had to shorter my dives because I was freezing.

I worked as a guide in different outdoor sports (mountain leader, mountain bike instructor, archery instructor, and dive master) and I am doing business. So I am not ignorant about the way to guide and to manage a business and I would recollant to change some members of the staff that are not valuable for the compagny.

Plus I did not like the ambiance because of some show off photographers that spend a lot of money to do the best of the best places in the world and have the best camera but that are bad photographers and will never probably never print a single big picture. I dont feel like I take part of those fancy people that think that because they pay expensive prices, they have the best. And confuse a good equipment with a good eye of photographer.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank Olivier P
Reviewed January 28, 2018

This team at Two Fish Lembeh are awesome. We were picked up on time, delivered and met with smiles. We settled in and giving the routine. Meals can be sometimes predictable but hey if you like rice, fish and chicken then no problem. We don't eat fish and they would of made us omelettes or something easy to keep us satisfied. We looked on the bright side and we never went hungry and we were always served with a smile. Our dive guide, John was awesome and we have him a list of what we wanted to see and he nailed IT!! First dive....15 minutes in....blue ring octopus. I thought it couldn't be topped, I was wrong......harlequin shrimp, boxer crab, and the little critters just kept coming. Brilliant! I love how you're given a guide and he sticks with you the whole time (maybe missing one day if he has time off or something happens) It makes it so much easier for divers to feel comfortable knowing their guides know how they dive and I'm sure it helps the guides as well.
I got some bad bites while sleeping and instead of just bripushing me off and saying that's just jungle stuff they cleaned out our room (aired the mattress with fresh linen) and made sure I had creams or whatever it took to make me feel better.....not Even a complaint from the staff and kept checking to make sure we were ok.
Can't wait to come back to Lembeh and just a big thank you to all involved getting us there and making our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Nigel_at_TwoFish, General Manager at Two Fish Divers Lembeh, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2018

Hi CanadaJohn and thank you so much for your very kind review! It was a real pleasure meeting you both and we're really happy you enjoyed your stay so much. John, along with all of our guides are pretty sensational when it comes to ticking off the critter list. It's great that you got to see everything on your wish list. Thanks for choosing Two Fish Lembeh and we look forward to seeing you again one day soon!

Reviewed January 25, 2018

Such a friendly dive resort, always a warm welcome with everyone eager to assist. The dive guides work hard to ensure you are comfortable and happy and are so keen to show you the vast array of the weird and wonderful critters to be found. For those that think Lembeh is only muck diving there are some beautiful walls as well.
We stayed in the budget rooms this time and it was really good, sharing a bathroom was not a problem at all. The mangers, Debs and Mark, are really turning things around since my last visit and I definitely look forward to returning.
Only wish list would be a pool and two pillows!

Room Tip: Standard and cottages have private bathrooms and rooms are bigger, budget rooms are small but everything is clean.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Nigel_at_TwoFish, General Manager at Two Fish Divers Lembeh, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2018

Thank you Yvettek for your lovely review. It was lovely meeting you and we're so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words, we are all working together to try and get the resort back to it's pretty little state, prior to the landslide last year! We really appreciate your feedback and I have passed it on to all the staff. Look forward to seeing you again soon on Lembeh!

Reviewed January 24, 2018 via mobile

Very comfortable room with beautiful view, nice and friendly staff. Our dive guide Yovan is amazing. We had a wonderful time here! We saw frog fish , ghost pipe fish,coconut octopus , wonderpus , mimic octopus and so many nudis .

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends

Hi Sue Y, thanks for your great review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed Lembeh and managed to see so many critters. Yovan is a very good guide, as they all are here and I will pass on your thanks to him. Hope to see you again in the near future!