“Charming, well worth a detour”

Chateau de Fontblachere
Reviewed 16 August 2017

We are a family of five and spend our summers cycling around Europe. Out of eight trips, 5000 kilometers and roughly 80-90 different hotels and B&Bs, I have to say this one is top five. Probably even top three, competing with some rather exclusive places in Germany and Austria. Just don't expect Hilton, or you'll be dissapointed. It is an old house with all the quirks of an old place, but that just makes it incredibly charming. And peaceful to boot! Cleanliness leaves nothing to be desired and rooms are very tastefully decorated. We actually just spent two hours just sitting in the bed and enjoying the room and the silence, doing absolutely nothing (but sipping some wine, courtsey of the host). Wonderful! The pool is a lovely place to spend an afternoon or early evening, watching the sun set over the distant hills, while making a simple pasta in the small kitchen. The owner is an excellent host and if you contact him, he'll probably be happy to serve you a nice dinner. I can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Eric D, Propriétaire at Chateau de Fontblachere, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Thanks for that nice comments! I well remember your family, arriving 5 of you by bicycle all wet after a huge thunder storm! 7 ,9 and 11 years old beautiful kids so glad to reach their destination and jump into the pool! It was for me too a great pleasure to meet all of you coming from Danemark! Life is about those shorts special instants that stay in our memory 20 years latter! . Eric

Reviewed 7 August 2017

We had a courtyard room and then the hotel gite. Both were just right: clean, comfortable, quiet, perfect bed, ace shower, white linen. We also had two table d'hote suppers, cooked by Eric and Patrick, great company both evenings, and Eric an excellent source of which are the best restaurants locally.... he will also book for you. The place is released and well run, a beautiful building stuffed with interesting art, lovely pool overlooking a long, lovely Ardeche view, great grounds and walks in the surrounding countryside.

Room Tip: Only 5 rooms plus the gites, all good.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Eric D, Propriétaire at Chateau de Fontblachere, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Thanks to you ! I try to bring here a spirit of confort and serenity in that lovely 500 years old house where I preserved everything I can to keep the spirit of the past while having today 's confort. It s a live work and I am so please when my host appreciate that balance not always easy to graduate just right! Soon I will paint again and will add a few art work in the gites!

Reviewed 27 July 2017

We stayed here for a night on the way from Switzerland to southern France. It is a beautiful old chateau in a lovely rural setting. We had a warm welcome, very helpful hosts, and a good breakfast to send us on our way. Would recommend it and would stay again. Many thanks.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Eric D, Propriétaire at Chateau de Fontblachere, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Thanks for your comments! It is nice to be appreciated for all the attention we try to give to our guests and sharing a part of my life in this wonderful and peacefull place I love so much also . Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 27 July 2017

The chateau is a beautiful mix of history and art. It's located on a hill top (magnificent views !) in a natural and very quiet environment. Large swimming pool, extended breakfast and a warm welcome by Eric and Bernard, the owners.

The apartment is not expensive but has everything (for example a well-equipped kitchen with freezer, refrigerator, dishwasher, stove oven ...) for a memorable staying in a remarkable setting.

Ideal for people who don't like big anonymous hotels and are looking for the French way of living.

Annick, Frank and Arwen (Belgium)

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Thanks for this nice review of the petite maison and of your week stay here. I am glad you had such a pleasant time with your daughter since I spent my winter vacations this year to put a new kitchen, new floor and relook the decoration of that appartment . I love it too and next winter I will create a new painting espacially for it to add my final touch! Hope to see you again! Eric

Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

With friends we stopped there for â night...the place is ravishing and we felt out of the world.
Nice for a pause or to discover the area.
The hosts were very warm and friendly.
The breakfeast in the garden is â delight.
Don't forget to move the turtle ;-)

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2016

Open the little door in the impressive arched entrance and it’s like travelling into another world. The sunny courtyard has flowers everywhere, with tables, chairs and a relaxing lounge area.
The lovely old house has old worn stone steps and terracotta tiles, airy rooms and period features. It's been sympathetically restored and extended over the years.
Outside are terraces with sun loungers, a carp pond, a tennis court and good size heated pool. Stunning views across the valley appear at every corner.
Eric, Bernard and Patrick couldn’t have been nicer or more gracious hosts. Sitting down for dinner with them in the evening was a delight. It felt much more as if dining with friends than staying in a B&B.
I'm sorry this sounds a bit like a travel brochure. But I expect you get the impression we liked it.
We only stayed one night. But there’s always next year…

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Eric D, Propriétaire at Chateau de Fontblachere, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2016

Thanks so much for this nice comments. I am glad that it feel the way I wished it should feel ! Just like that : you are at home in my home !
I enjoy sharing my travels "little treasures " that I found in all the countries where I work as an architect , but also sharing my artworks since i am also a painter and will be even more when I will have time to work regularly on it and at last sharing a diner with you when it is the day I cook for my guests!
Hope to see you again!
Eric

Reviewed 30 August 2015

Lovingly restored 15 Century house with beautiful views, charming rooms and delightful hosts. Many beautiful objets d'art carefully scattered around the house including many paintings by one of the owners. Fantastic swimming pool complex with kitchen and showers. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family

Been to Chateau de Fontblachere? Share your experiences!