All reviews one night the kitchen whole experience beautiful surroundings gourmet restaurant guided tour rooms are nice in addition nice place vanity table lots of history romantic setting pre dinner main building small museum local ingredients top floor
Reviewed October 3, 2017

First built in 1215, Dragsholm Castle served as a jail between 1536 and 1664. James Hepburn, third husband of Mary Queen of Scots, was incarcerated here for a decade until his death in 1578. Hepburn is just one of many ghosts said to haunt Dragsholm, now a boutique hotel in Hørve.
More than a uniquely romantic setting, Dragsholm brims with interesting history so why not include a guided tour in the very expensive rate? Surely a staff member could be spared to show guests around if requested? A brochure describing the castle's fascinating history would have been welcome, but there was nothing.
Staff are also too busy to help guests with their luggage so you are left to heave your own suitcase from the parking lot all the way up the stairs. Rather shabby for a five-star hotel especially compared to excellent service received at four-establishments in Czech Republic and Germany.
Breakfast was included but despite mentioning my wheat allergy, my plate was piled high with breads I was unable to eat. The only thing I could eat was a boiled egg, although nobody bothered to ask whether I preferred hard or soft boiled.
One small towel each was threadbare and I found the bed to be too soft. I much prefer a firm mattress for my back but perhaps that's an individual thing. We came here to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and while I adored the setting, the flowing moat, the lovely walks through vineyards and orchards, I do feel this place could offer better service for the price that is charged.

Room tip: Bring your own towels
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank carolinetravelguru
Reviewed September 13, 2017

We stayed one evening at the Dragsholm Castle and really enjoyed our stay. The grounds are beautiful and the castle has several floors with rooms worth investigating. There are many seating rooms in the second floor in addition to their "bistro" restaurant.

The rooms are nice with some period pieces but not luxurious per se. However, we were not expecting luxury, but more of an experience. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were spotless and welcoming. The Dragsholm definitely delivers on that end. Its just a great place to spend time exploring inside and out.

We had our dinner at the Bistro, as the Michelin starred restaurant was closed on Mondays. I will admit we were a difficult family to feed as two out of three of us are vegetarians. The kitchen went out of their way to prepare dishes for all of us. The entire meal was delicious and very well presented. Really enjoyed the overall experience.

We also had breakfast at the castle which was as appetizing as the dinner the evening before. The staff was incredibly attentive and all seem to know who we were before even asking.

I would definitely recommend a one night stay. When booking, I would recommend working directly with them as they are very responsive and can better accommodate your room and dinning requests.

Room tip: Choose a room in the main building (not the annex)
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

Friends booked the castle for their wedding. Highly structured approach by the staff meant everything went according to plan.
Rooms airy and lovely, food top class and surroundings beautiful. What is not to like?

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Coeliac-Dane
Reviewed August 8, 2017 via mobile

We where a lot of people staying for a party. The location is great. Beutiful landscape and a very historic setting. The castle is well maintained and the rooms are nice but not as nice as you would expect for a michelin star gourmet experience. The rooms need more character. I guess some nordic furnitures made speciel for the castle instead of stuff trying to look old. Nice beds from Hastens. The dinner was great but the breakfast was a disappointment. I guees it could improve with more staff and better management. And to these rates a nice cup of cappucino or at least a cappucino self service machine is a must.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2017

We booked the most expensive package from the website, and was placed in an annex close to the castle which left ous with no taste waht so ever of that castle experience, that we had hoped for.
Next day when we put our critisism forward we were told we were to blame ourself, as we had overlooked a selector on the website, where you had to choose the room type you preferred. Apparently, Dragsholm had, in their wisdom, selected that annex is the best default value for this selctor, so people booking a "Castle Experience" end up in the annex.
There was no way I agree on this strategy, of charging 1000$ for a one night castle experience, and ending up on an annex, without any kind of guideance or warning. I have only one conclusion, and it is cheating, or said in another way, a way to optimize the profit, by not advicing their customer in a proper way.
THis whole experience naturally put a bit of blue emotion to our night, and the evening was somewhat ruined on beforehand. This is of course unfair to the restaurent, which had no part of it, but it was sold as a package.

I highly recomend you go somewhere else,

Room tip: The annex is no way near a castle experience
Date of stay: August 2017