Padang Padang Surf Camp
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Le Grande Bali(Pecatu)(Great Value!)
US$46
Ayu Guna Inn(Pecatu)
US$15
US$12
Agoda.com
U Sameera Pecatu Bali(Pecatu)(Great Value!)
US$73
Travelocity
The edge(Pecatu)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbreakfast and lunchsurf camptoro toropadang padangthese guysother guestsadvanced grouptight shiprash vestguides instructorsskill levelcatching wavesgreat group of peopleawesome tripbanana pancakeskeep coming backpandan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I just returned from a week at the Padang Padang Surf Camp and had an excellent time. The management and staff are extremely friendly and went out of their way to see that the guests had an excellent time. While the prices include everything except dinner there were many extras that were provided (e.g. rides to various attractions, use of equipment) which leaves you with the feeling that customer satisfaction is the primary goal. Having been to other parts of Indonesia I did find the Bali area in general more pricey but the amount and quality of the amenities provided by the Camp made up for the extra $$$ spent. The Camp also seems to attract a very good International range and quality of guest thus the social aspect rated high as well. Five stars from this customer!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Taylordiving
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I go to Bali around 8 times a year and have stayed at a number of surf camps over the years. This one is guaranteed the best of the best. The camp is super chilled, you'll start to relax the minute you get there. Rooms are basic but good, food delicious and the guides actually do give you lessons when you're out in the waves if you want that of course.pics taken of us every day too :) We had a really amazing time and booked 3 more breaks there this year :)

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank lakeroyd
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We were excited to be going to the Surf Camp for a second visit having had a wonderful time there in July 2010 with fantastic, friendly local staff, run by an Australian manager. My rating then would have been 'excellent' on all counts.

First, I was a little surprised by the lack of communication this time - only because last time we had been looked after so well. It was only when I discovered that we would be there for Nyepi, a few days before leaving home did I enter into any communication (other than booking and payment) with the camp by email and was assured it wouldn't be a problem. I asked a variety of questions about Nyepi and what facilities would be available with vague and incomplete answers. As we had already made payment in full at this stage we decided to go regardless.

This resulted in us arriving - the day before New Year - with no-one there to greet, advise or help us to our rooms; no food available at the camp and only one eating place open in the area. I had lived in SE ASia for ten years and been visiting Bali for 25 years and must admit this was the first time I felt disgruntled. Eventually the Welsh owner's daughter attempted, rather ungraciously, to organise things and after a couple of hours of chaos we had a great meal close by.
But alas our woes were not over. Our rooms had sheets and towels missing. There were no keys to lock our doors ( we were assured this was normal? - but it wasn't, 9 months earlier) and no water came out of any of the taps. We were told to use chlorinated pool water - we had to arrange this ourselves and all had to carry in our waste bins as no buckets were provided. I think many of the guests decided to just use the drinking water for showers when no effort was made to do anything about it.

As I watched my 80 year old father-in-law stooping to get water out of the pool to flush his toilet on our 3rd day without water, while the staff looked on not offering to help, I reflected on how a place can change so much in such a short period of time. Then we found out that other locals and businesses purchased water so their toilets flushed, hands could be washed in handbasins, showers could be taken and they made every effort to try to provide a service to their GUESTS.

Having travelled and lived extensively in developing countries I wonder what line is drawn between profit and service?

Talking to other repeat guests like myself, it was apparent not one of them would return. A day of inconvenience is fine. Two days you could say okay, we aren't in a developed country, three or more well ...

Nyepi and a broken water pipe were not the 'camps' fault BUT some attempt at amending the problems or giving discount on the bill at the end to make up for the events might have gone some way to alleviating a poor experience.

What a shame.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank jss359
balisurfing, Manager at Padang Padang Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

The reviewer booked her stay for March 2012 in October 2011 before the dates for Nyepi (Balinese new year holiday) were known as this is determined by moon sightings. As they were returning guests we waived our standard policies of surfers only and 4 night minimum stay. As goodwill we granted them 2011 rates.
They were notified 2 weeks before arrival that they were arriving during the Balinese New Year holiday and that special provisions applied but we would provide 3 hot meals at the surf camp that day. They arrived the night before Nyepi when most restaurants were closed. We had however done some research and found a good restaurant open and made a reservation for all the guests staying at the surf camp. The problems began when the taxi to take them was 15-20 minutes later than expected. Due to the holiday period it was difficult to book a taxi and the reviewer complained that she was very hungry. The owner’s daughter offered her some fruit and advised that the taxi was soon coming but for some reason this made the reviewer more agitated and aggressive. In the time waiting for the taxi the reviewer succeeded in making the owner’s daughter cry and the surf camp management did not find her behaviour acceptable. Upon return from her dinner the manager and assistant manager advised her that we have a no bullying policy and reiterated again the plans and provisions for Nyeipi and the whole situation calmed down.
The guests booked the same villas as last year and it is up to them to decide how they allocate the rooms. If a group of guests book a villa we do let the guests decide amongst themselves who will be having what room.
There was unfortunately a broken water main pipe during their stay which took 5 days for the water company to be repaired due to it being a holiday period. Our back up tank of water run out after 2 days and we sincerely apologise to all guests staying at the camp during this time for the inconvenience. We have since tightened up our procedures to ensure the back up tank if filled up nightly and water is conserved whenever mains water is unavailable. Unfortunately infrastructure problems are a familiar problem with Bali but we hope that our additional staff training will result in minimum inconvenience to the guests next time the mains water pipe breaks.
During this time there was unusually stormy weather and the weather, Balinese holiday period and burst water pipe all combined at the same time and we are sympathetic as this combination did result in a less than ideal holiday.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I have stayed here on a couple of occassions and nowadays, I surf with the camp whenever in Bali. Much might have been said about this place but personally I have never had any problems. If you are travelling alone and want some company for a surf or learn to surf, this is the place to stay. No other surf camps or guides do a better job. The surf guides are really great and a fun bunch. The staff that man the kitchen whips up a good breakfast and awesome lunch. The accomodation is very good and they have both air-conditioned and non air-conditioned rooms. The pool, pavillion and open lounge area gives the whole place a great atmosphere. Whether staying here or only joining the surf, I have always met cool people from all over the world.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank veeong
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I did a 1 wk surf camp here and really loved it. So much that I was very sad to have to leave to go to north Bali where I was booked for my second wk. The grounds were beautiful with a great pool and lots of common areas for everyone to chill out together. The food offered daily was super. Surf staff did their best to try to teach us beginners. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2012