Review Highlights
Phenomenal trip you won't be able to duplicate!

Even after reading reviews I don't think you can fully appreciate Li Song Hot Spring until you... read more

Reviewed January 20, 2019
Chehan2013
Howell, New Jersey
Amazingly Fantastic Trip

Reviewed March 2, 2018
Elmolita

All reviews train station water level hot water coming access road waterfall ropes adventure li spring stream hike camp gloves rock november photos mountains
Reviewed March 2, 2018

I came here all by myself, engaging a local tour bed and breakfast the Siama @bunonsiama, the folks brought me here. I came from Chi Shang Train Station and it takes about 45 min- 1 hour if you come form Chi Shang to the entrance to Lisong hot spring. The entrance is in a cabbage patch, from there you will need to climb down a good 1 - 1 and half hour to reach the stream that leads to the Hot Spring. The climb is not easy if you have not been exercising.
Overall the weather is rather cold but it is during Oct to Late Mar that it is advisable to come here as during the hotter times, the water level goes up and it will be a challenge to make it cross river to reach the springs. The spring is wild and it is free , you can even opt to camp in the valley itself which I think will be quite an experience.
You will need to do some rappelling and a little bit of river crossing before you reach the hot sprint. The cold river water is really a killer and the hot spring is really really hot. Lying in the shallow springs and enjoying it while in the open is really amazing. The scenery is also breath taking too. Definitely a must come if you can!

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed February 9, 2018

This place is amazing. The hike down is worth the trip alone, as it's very steep, and if you aren't used to using ropes to descend (like me), it's a good introduction. We did this as part of a 5 day tour of the east coast with a car. I can't imagine how'd you'd get here without a car!

The time to get down and up depends on your fitness. We met people on the way saying it took an hour to get down, and 2 hours back, but we did it in 30min and 45min respectively. This said, it is tough. When you get down, you have unspoilt views of the valley, and beautiful hot springs.

Not at all touristy, but worth the drive.

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed December 19, 2017

After seeing photos of this place, we knew we had to go. We rented a car in Taitung, around $80 CAD and 2hr drive to the turnoff. Easy to find google maps directions online. The drive itself was amazing, tunnels, canyons, death defying hairpins, mudslides, mountains, villages. We were able to drive down the access road to the chained off gate at the farmer's land, at which point it was another 5min walk to the start of the real trail. Steep and continous descent for around an hour, 500m vert, a few challenging parts but no problem if you are used to hiking. Definitely steep though. Arrived at the bottom and waded the stream (knee deep, november, no rain in past couple days) and then the crux, wading along a cliff face up to chest deep hanging onto a rope. A bit more scrambling and then the finale, swimming across the river again, hanging onto the rope, above a flowing waterfall (only a metre or so, but still, swimming above a waterfall. ) The hot springs water cascades down on the far side making an amazing hot waterfall with brilliant colours in the rock. The crystal clear river in the deep jungle canyon just make it amazing. We saw 3 other people on our whole 3-4hr hike and had the springs to ourselves. Steep slog up but under 1hr. So remote, so scenic, so amazing. Having visited over 50 hot springs on 4 continents, I'd say its top 3, maybe even best ever.
If you are up for getting off the beaten track, like a physical challenge rewarded with all the best nature has to offer, go do it!

Date of experience: November 2017
1  Thank robinf120
Reviewed January 14, 2017

We traveled from Taidong to Guanshan by train (cca 30 mins), then rented scooters right in front of the train station and rode about an hour to Lisong. I definitely recommend to rent scooter for this trip, otherwise it would be even more difficult to get in. Another option is taking a taxi, but it's too expensive and not as convenient.

The hike is uniquely steep and quite difficult. We were accompanied by local dogs, they were super nice, it felt like if they guarded us. When climbing the hill, you need to wear gloves, because somewhere it's needed to use ropes for climbing down. Once you climb down, you will see the river, turn to the right. You have to cross it probably 3 times. Unfortunately, we visited this place after typhoon season, so that the water level was way higher than usually. Which also made us cross the waterfall there. That was kind of hard core, but it's doable, if you are a decent swimmer and you aren't afraid.

Once you are at the natural hot springs, it feels amazing to be surrounded just by nature and totally isolated from outer world. Really magical. The way back is really hard as the hill is extremely steep, but it just takes time to climb it.

I recommend to go as early as possible, because you don't want to get stuck in the pitch-black woods. Although, it's very badly accessible, it absolutely worth visiting. The bad access probably makes is so special. This was one of the most exciting experiences here in Taiwan and probably in my life, too.

Date of experience: November 2016
6  Thank Martina T
Reviewed March 22, 2016

You'll have to climb down a steep path that ends up with ropes. Not that extreme but prepare to walk a bit.
Totally worth it once you reach the river. The hotspring is 100% natural and you're in the canyon in the forest with hot water coming down from the cliff. Beautiful!
Avoid weekends, heard it gets more crowded.

Date of experience: December 2015