“Hard but worthy...gr8”

Elephant Mountain (aka Nangang District Hiking Trail)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$50.00*
and up
Private Night Tour of Taipei
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Its very nice trekking. Must go there. U can see a very nice view of Taipei 101 from there.
Lights are there upto elephant mountain so u can spend time in night there. Bring water and foods. U can go further its so nice. U can spent whole day in the hills.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank Smritijit
Write a ReviewReviews (2,993)
All reviews
in 21 reviews
"viewing platform"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed April 2, 2018

I was not sure I wanted to go on this hike since I don't normally like hiking. I went up with slippers since I tortured my feet in some new shoes. The hike up was not as bad as I thought it would be. The views from the top were spectacular. Although I probably grumbled on the way us to my son, I enjoyed it a lot. Beautiful view of the city and Taipei 101. Then it was a nice walk to Taipei 101 where we went to the top to see where we hiked to. Bring water! And a lunch if you want to have a picnic there.

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank TWongAiea
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

We went up at around 7 in the evening and the view is so beautiful, you can see the light in the sky as it become darker and darker, taipei city looks gorgeous from up there!

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

This was a steep hike, but it only about 15-20 minutes on the way up! Follow the signs, when the hike forks off, you can go either way to get to the top.

The view at sunset was just amazing. We waited for a while once we got to the top just because we wanted to see it at sunset and WOW it was not a disappointment.

There are several spots you can get good views, so just keep walking around and once you’ve caught your breath, go the rest of the way up to see the view from the tippy top!

Best view of the city (even better than Taipei 101, I think!) and you get a bit of exercise while doing this. I saw a lot of people hiking in fancy clothes, but I hiked in leggings and a shirt with a light jacket and was glad I did.

Just a PSA, there are no elephants on this trail

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank _brittany_traveler14
See more reviews
Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

Trail head starts at the Ciyou Temple 慈惠堂 Location:No. 33, Ln. 251, Fude St., Xinyi Dist.

Head up tiger mountain 虎山 to Jiuwufeng peak 九五峰 (40 mins) 376m then on to Muzhishan 拇指山 (30 mins) 319m. Descend Muzhishan 20 mins and pass a Buddhist temple with red roofs on your right. Descend from trail path to 5m Buddhist statue. Continue towards Elephant mountain 象山。

This is roughly a U shaped trail that will take you about 120 degrees around Taipei 101. Panoramic views of the city all the way. Path is well maintained stone steps. Even on a weekend you will not really see crowds until the last 20 mins. See attached map.

Date of experience: March 2018