“Did we miss something?!!”

Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballyconnell
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We booked the old Groupon deal, as had many of my friends who
raved about their stay, many also with young children.
I have heard of the Slieve Russell over the years, and it always had fab
reviews, so we were really looking forward to our stay.

In short, we were left wanting.....
The hotel was busy when we checked in (A Sun afternoon, busy foyer). We checked in early..receptionists were efficient and our room was ready..All good so far....
The hotel looks a little tired...scuff marks
on wallpaper, furniture with handles missing etc
However, our room was pleasant enough...
Then we get to the food in Setanta restaurant...The only 2 choices available were
this or the bar food, which was literally only soup and sandwiches. We debated
eating in this restaurant as it was quite expensive, then we threw caution to
the wind..!!!

We had a 3 year old with us, so wanted to get her something decent...Ordered the
cod fish fingers....We were so disappointed...It arrived about 10 mins after ours, and was
4 frozen fish fingers and frozen chips...for the guts of 8 euros...Our local pub does a fresh
version of this for much less that would knock the socks off it!!
My husband and I had the burger (16 euro 50) and chicken ( 18 euro odd) and both were mediocre.......

Only other real negative was the soft play area which can only be described as a children's
dungeon....No windows, smelly and grubby.....A very depressing space!!! There apparently is another 'Games Room' but this was locked on both days...We did enquire via a member of staff who simply told us it mustn't have been opened that morning...And that was that?!!!!In fairness, the weather was dismal so we didn't get a chance to experience what the grounds had to offer..

However, there were positives...all the staff we encountered were fab..The Cavan charm! The leisure centre was great, the spa area was nice.....

Like I said, we were just left wanting....The overall feeling I had was one of uneasiness and
uncertainity (understandably!) but cutting corners on food and leaving your guests with limited options for dining is definitely not the way forward...

I doubt we would ever return which is a shame as, like I say, we really wanted to like it...

Sorry Slieve Russell!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank OmcG
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and I am most disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations.

I will discussed your valued comments regarding food in the Setanta Restaurant with our Head Chef and please accept my apologies for any lapse in our standards you experienced. In response to your observations regarding the price, I can assure you that our rates are comparable to similar hotels in the 4-star category and that we strive to keep the rates at a keen and competitive price. For instance, we offer a two course Table d’Hôte menu inclusive of a glass of wine for €28.50.

I was very sorry to read your feedback regarding the soft play area. I do accept your point regarding the room not having a window, however this area was added to our family facilities in recent years and this room was the only suitable location adjacent to our existing facilities and convenient to our family bedrooms. Unfortunately I think that the Children’s Games Room would not have been suitable for you, as it is aimed at older children offering air hockey, pool tables, etc.

I do hope you will reconsider your decision not to return to the Slieve Russell in the future, as we would very much welcome an opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 21 February 2012

This is my second attempt to post this review.

Not sure where to start...... Arrived late on Friday night around 10'ish to find this horrible eyesore on the edge of the road shocked to realise it was the hotel. Drove up to the front door and without even turning off the engine turn to my wife and asked will I just drive on?

With some persuasion I got the bags from the boot and brought them to reception for my wife to check us in while I drove around and around the laberinth of a car park to try to find somewhere in the chaos to park.

On eventually reentering the hotel I noticed an unsupervised child approx 8 years old playing in reception in his pyjamas, not what I'd expect at that time on a Friday night. Im not anti family establishments but this place cried out "pissed parents" and "run wild children" right from the start. I noticed another review made reference to the reception area to be likened to an airport check in desk and I would think that comment kind, it was all just wrong, the ugly sign directing the que in the opposite direction to the layout of the area.... The lack of personnel to even ask if help was required... The noise level from half pissed parents... The running, screaming and shouting of children whom should have in my opinion not have been out of bed.... At that stage after a long day I just wanted our room, a shower, a beer and my bed.

On receiving our room keys we walked what seemed like a mile of twisty badly signposted, worse for wear, and extremely well worn hallways until we eventually found the junior suite I had booked.

On entering the suite it was obvious you were visiting somewhere of former glory. There was a fridge in the room which I found strange, self catering accomodation normally have a fridge "4 star luxury hotels" (as per website) normally have mini bars? The was an additional living space off the bedroom with a sofa, table and work desk which was quite nice appart from the fact there was a tv missing which had all the exposed wires still available for but no tv. I called reception to ask about getting the mini bar (fridge) stocked and was told to call house keeping. I called house keeping and a very nice lady directed me to a blue list which I needed to fill in and sign for her to collect from our room to then go and get the required stock for the mini bar, this list only included spirits and a few items like nuts etc.... Which I would have to pay for as it clearly stated on the list no refunds would be made for unused items, what happened to the concept of a mini bar? When I enquired about a beer she informed me I would need to call the bar and they would bring this to me, this very nice lady seemed almost embarrassed to have to explain this rediculous system to me.

I called the bar and asked if I could get 4 bottles of beer brought to the room for the mini bar, I also asked if I could be supplied with a bottle opener so I could consume them as I wished. I was informed all bottles would have to be opened as there was not a bottle opener available in the hotel..... ? Other than the ones behind the bar.... So 4 opened bottles of beer arrived to the room.

While I was waiting for this I decided to have a shower, the bathroom was nearly clean and there are bits of paint flaking off various surfaces and also unsightly sealant which at one point in time was white but was now grey with what looked like wiped in mould. The radiator is rusty in spots and the stopper on the floor to stop the door hitting the wall is in just the right place to stub your toe. The bathroom fittings are loose and in bad need of repair from the Maintenance personal who are available 24/7 as I have read on some of Tony walkers (General manager) reply's to comments posted here.

After my shower I asked my wife if she was happy with the suite to which I got a frown. I looked around at the badly stained carpet, the arm chair which looked like a dog had slepted on it for the last number of years and the general poor condition of everything and suggested we leave, keep in mind this was approaching midnight and we were far from home.

One other thing which needs a mention is the constant humming noise in the room from a motor of some kind which would be impossible to sleep through.

I proceeded to log onto the Internet via the "bitbuzz" system in the hotel which costs €12.50 for 24hrs to find this also did not work correctly, intermittent Internet access is more frustrating than none at all especially when you have to pay for it.

I do some business in Cavan town and we have stayed in the "Radisson Blu Farnham estate" on probably more than 10 occasions to date but we decided to try somewhere different and this is why we tried the "Slieve russell hotel" but luckily for us when I called approaching midnight the Radisson had a standard room available for us which is leaps and bounds ahead of the the suite we left behind.

My advice for what it's worth stay well clear of this out dated relic of the past and if you need somewhere comfortable in the Cavan area to stay call the Radisson, you won't be disappointed.

And just as a foot note to Tony Walker who may or may not answer this review with a comment it seems like an accountant is running your business which is a real shame as they are taking away all the comforts which make going away in Ireland a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

7  Thank EverettIreland
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your most recent review.
I am personally disappointed that the Slieve Russell Hotel did not meet your expectations. We take our customer feedback very seriously, hence my reasoning for writing a personal letter to you last Saturday which you should have received by now or indeed will recieve today or tomorrow.
If you wish to discuss the matter further please contact myself directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

to date we have had a few citydeal hotel breaks and they were fine. i pretty much expected this to be the same and no more. i am very pleased to say it was so much more than expected.

Travel: we set out from Dublin and the commute for us was 1 hour 45 minutes. we had very light traffic so i would allow 2 hours generally for your commute. There is plenty of parking in the hotel so no need to worry.
Hotel: we were welcomed to the hotel with a friendly smile and an elderly gent holding the door open for us. check was was quick and easy and we were directed to our room. We had decided to upgrade it being valentines weekend and all. We were put in the Dungimmon suite. this was a huge room. it had a full sitting and dining area on one side along with a HUGE four poster bed. the bathroom had a great powerful shower and a jacuzzi bath. if you are like us and sometimes like to have a chilled drink in the room before dinner but dont want to have to sit on the bed then i would highly recommend for 140 euro for the two nights. We did get a quick look into the other rooms when walking the halls and they looked good as well.
Location and Facilities: the only slight downside if you would call it that is the location. there is not much outside of the grounds close by. However this really doesn't matter if you are there for a weekend as there is loads to keep you occupied. While i do play golf i didn't get a chance to play this trip. We had a good look and walk around and the facilities here are really great. there is an excellent looking course, par 3 and flood lit driving range. the spa facility is great as well. We both got treatments and enjoyed. the gym is basic but has everything you could need to get a session in. there is a big pool as well so pack some shorts.
Food: i dont even know were to start. ill keep it short as i am druelling on my comp just thinking back. the food here is amazing. we ate in the two main restaurants on either night and cleared our plates both times. in fact we were only short of licking them clean. both nights were reasonable, with a couple of bottles of wine both nights dinner came to rougly 130 each night incl. tip. room service wasnt bad... didnt use it much to be fair just a quick toastie sandwich at silly o clock which hit the spot. We ate lunch in the golf club over looking the course on saturday afternoon and while the club was quiet it was really very relaxing and the food was again great. the kells bar had good atmosphere at all times. the sport was always on which the lads will be happy to hear. we didnt have to use cash once. all charges to the room and settled on check out.
Overall: really i cant state enough how much we enjoyed this weekend. We will absolutley be going back maybe with a few frends this time to take in the golf. Highly recommend to all.

Room Tip: look to upgrade to the suites if budget will allow. otherwise be sure to request a non smoking room...
1  Thank barrogers
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your review and I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay. I will pass on your kind comments regarding food the the chefs. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

The service, food and area are fab. Please do an overhaul as this is a nice retreat. We will be back

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and to read your kind comments regarding service and food. I will address the issues you raised regarding your bedroom immediately with the Accommodation Manager. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting. Great for Golfer or walker. Beautiful garden with wome of the flowers coming into bloom. Very busy as it was Keith Barry show which was sold out. Rooms clean and comfortable> Plenty places to relax within the hotel if weather not the greatest. Food and service very good. Staf very professional and helpful.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet with only about 6 rooms in a small corridor away from bar and entertainment.

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your review and I was delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us and found all aspects of your stay to your satisfaction. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Slieve Russell gives you a great time.
It's set in the midst of the beautiful lakelands of Co Cavan, and you can do anything there – walk, ride, go boating, eat, drink, listen to live music, generally unwind and meet the best people in the world.
Apart from the golf, the hotel has a lovely (warm!) swimming-pool, gyms and bars and restaurants, open fires, and the nicest staff you could hope to meet. They'll do anything for you, with a smile.
You'll step out of time, relax, laugh, feel refreshed and bucked up and cossetted. The craic's not just mighty – it's "ninety"!

Room Tip: Every room I've had has been great.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Kerry Lee C

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to the Slieve Russell. I was delighted to read your positive comments about the hotel and that you had such an enjoyable stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

stayed on a groupon deal with 3 other couples midweek
.Everything about the place was beyond expectation- friendly staff good food wonderful golf and fantastic leisure facilities.the rooms were bright airy spacious and the beds top quality.We will be back

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your review and I was delighted to read your lovely comments regarding food and staff and the hotel in general. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future.
Tony Walker

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyconnell
14.8 km away
27.7 km away
Westville Hotel
Westville Hotel
#2 of 7 in Enniskillen

Been to Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!