1,951 results
All reviews setanta restaurant kells bar superior room afternoon tea hydrotherapy suite beautiful hotel slieve russel tennis courts leisure centre the secret garden changing rooms both nights lovely walk night break beautiful grounds main restaurant family break
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Stayed here for a two night midweek break with my Husband, Had a lovely room with a view to the very well kept gardens.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The food in Kells bar was lovely, a great selection also for breakfast.
We did the walk around the large grounds in the morning which was very enjoyable.
Would def come back again.

Room tip: Ask for room with view of gardens.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding your room, service and food. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell Hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

My mother and I decided to spend two days here to celebrate my 21st birthday. We had heard great things in the past about the Slieve Russel and the Spa there, so decided to go with it over some other wonderful hotels we had previously visited for spa weekends.

Upon arrival, the staff were all friendly but the hotel appeared quite dated in the lobby area. The first thing that really stood out, however, was the screaming children that were running around. Although the children seemed to be having a ball, children running into you and jumping on and off of tables and the lobby's staircase somehow turned our 'relaxing spa break' into more of a whole hotel kids club (without the supervision).

For dinner we decided to visit the Satanta restaurant as their menu seemed more centred towards our tastebuds than the other restaurant. The food was lovely, however for the prices that they were charging, a tablecloth would have been nice, along with a cloth napkin rather than a paper one.

The spa offered great facilities. However, once again there was, unfortunately, a disappointment waiting for us there too. We had booked the steam temple, which was €70 for the both of us. When we went in to start the experience, the muds that we were to use had been used by somebody who had somehow snuck in before us. The ladies were very apologetic and replaced the pot. Halfway through the treatment, a spa user came in, took our towels and decided to help herself to the creams that we had paid for as part of our experience too. Being covered in mud in my bikini and having to ask her to leave as it was booked privately was quite embarrassing, to say the least. (Along with our lovely creams being half used!)

We showered and went out to the reception to pay. When we told the lady what had happened and how it had tainted the experience, she once again was apologetic however no solution was offered. This was very disappointing, as we had paid for the experience and the products and both of these features were disrupted.

Overall, we would not recommend this hotel to a couple, or adults without children who are looking to unwind and relax. It was more of a jungle gym for children, so if that's what you're looking for then you've found your place!

Room tip: We stayed on the first floor and were woken up to children running and screaming.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank liliaecorrigan
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your most recent review. I am very sorry to learn that another visitor to our spa interrupted your private Rasul treatment and used your products and towels. I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever heard of this happening, we have a sign on the door of the Rasul which clearly states “Private Therapy” and “Please book at Reception”. As part of the introduction to the Hydrotherapy facilities, our Hydro Assistants explain the use of each area and highlight that the Rasul is a private treatment and does incur an additional charge. On this occasion it appears that an individual chose to ignore this and I am very sorry this marred the overall enjoyment of your experience. I note your comments regarding the children, as a family friendly hotel we have been exceptionally busy with the Easter holiday period. We do provide a full range of supervised children’s facilities, however in our public areas we do rely on the cooperation of parents to supervise their children. I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the future, as would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in us. Kind regards, Lucy Morris, Spa Manager (On behalf of the Slieve Russell Management Team).

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for a night to break up a trip from Dublin to Donegal. I’d heard it was a nice place and was a little cheaper than Farnham Estate so decided to go here.

The hotel surroundings are grand, nothing to write home about. Very standard hotel, a little dated in parts but does the job. Leisure facilities again were fine, no complaints, did what it said on the tin.

However, the food is what really surprised me. It’s a four star hotel and what we were served up in the hotel’s restaurant, Conall Cearnach, was poor to say the least. I went with pork won tons to start and it was like someone cooked frozen shop bought won tons a few hours previously, heated them up again on a hot plate and drowned them in a sea of blue dragon sweet chilli sauce to try and disguise the fact that they were completely dried out. My partner ordered the black pudding and goats cheese tart and it arrived luke warm. We hoped the mains would be better and while my steak was overdone (ordered medium rare and it was definitely medium), the meat and the flavour was actually nice. My partner however ordered the monkfish and got served a rubbery fish which lacked much flavour.

The only saving grace was the cheese cake for dessert as it was light and flavoursome. My partner ordered the icecream but it seemed they had scooped out the balls earlier in the day and then refroze them as you could see the crystals formed on the outside which made it less creamy and a little off putting. The whole experience just screamed a lack of freshly prepared food. Not what you’d expect when you’re paying the price we were. I did wonder whether their regular chef was away as the quality was so poor and the fact that we were then asked by around 5 different staff was the food ok. When I shared my concerns on the quality I was met with an apologetic response but one that really offered no solution “no it was cooked freshly, it should be fine”.

We decided to forget the experience and retire to bed where we had a comfortable room. However, at breakfast the next morning, when I ordered poached eggs which are on the menu on request, their lack of skills in the kitchen were on display again as I received 2 rock solid eggs.

I would not recommend the food in this hotel. The rest of the experience however was a standard affair and I wouldn’t have any complaints as long as you got a good deal.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aedamair

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am very sorry to learn the food in the Conall Cearnach Restaurant did not meet your expectations. I have discussed your valued comments with our Head Chef and he will address your experience with his culinary team. However may I please clarify that the won tons are made in house and cooked to order and the goat’s cheese starter is a warm salad starter. I do hope that you will reconsider your decision not to return, as we would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in us. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed April 1, 2018

Fantastic hotel. Beautiful grounds. Fantastic food.Top class staff. Room out of a magazine. First visit 23 years ago on our honeymoon even better than i remember it. Will be back again soon. Would highly recomend this hotel.

Date of stay: March 2018

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted that you found the hotel to be even better than you remembered. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

This is an exceptional hotel, me, my husband an 2 children stayed in this hotel on good Friday, the hotel firstly is stunning, the grounds the views the interior, is all 5 star, such a beautiful place to stay. The staff are so so helpful, friendly, sincere it’s not a false welcome it’s very genuine! The kids club is by far an amazing attraction for family’s, from takin them swimming feeding the kids diner, (free of charge) an so much for the kids to choose from, the girls looking after the kids at the club are so friendly an I felt very secure in living my kids in thr care, which is something I never do at kids clubs, an it runs until 10 at nite. My kids had a ball so thank u for that. We had diner in Kells bar an the staff again very friendly, the food is beautiful an the portions are huge I had the cod an chips which I would highly recommend. We played crazy golf with the kids in the grounds, just so much to do at this stunning hotel. Thank you so much.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your lovely review and I am delighted to read you enjoyed your family break and in particular your kind comments regarding Kid's Club, food and service. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.