Lake Avenue House(Ballyconnell)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$118
US$102
US$97
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$110/night.

Belmore Court Motel(Enniskillen)
US$106
US$98
1,851 results
All reviewssetanta restaurantkells barsuperior roomafternoon teahydrotherapy suitetwo night staybeautiful hotelslieve russelleisure centrechanging roomstennis courtsthe secret gardenboth nightsgroupon deallovely walkbeautiful groundsbar food
Reviewed April 5, 2018

I had booked a 2 night stay over Easter as a treat for my husband and had gone for the Executive Suite as we were looking forward to a relaxing break.

This was our first visit to the Slieve Russell and when we arrived at 3.20pm on Easter Saturday it was into a Reception Area that was full of children running around and a long queue for check-in. We expected the hotel to be busy but we didn't expect unsupervised children and a 15 minute wait in a queue to check-in.

We got our keys and our room was on the ground floor. When we got to the room [after having to try and avoid being knocked down by children running up and down the corridors], the key cards didn't work, so I'd to go back to Reception again. When we finally got into the room, the Suite was nice and spacious and the Prosecco I'd requested as a surprise, was already there. Some of the furniture in the Suite was tired but it was ok. There were 2 TV's in the Suite but unfortunately the remote controls for the TV's weren't working properly. There was also a minibar fridge but it didn't appear to be working. The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath but both the bath and the 2 sinks drained really slowly.

Within 10 minutes of getting to the room, the noise started! We were situated beside family rooms who were related and they started going in and out of each others rooms and banging the doors of each room as they exited and entered. The constant banging of the doors was really frustrating. And added to that, we also had the noise of children running up and down the corridors playing chasing! After an hour of constant banging, we went down to the bar to get some peace.

On arriving back to the room, the noise continued until we left for dinner at 8.30pm. After dinner, we went to Reception and enquired if our neighbours were staying on the Sunday night as well. We were told they were and were also told that while they would try to move us the next day, that as all Executive Suites were situated in between family rooms, there was no guarantee that a different suite would be any quieter. The Receptionist advised that if the noise continued after 11pm, to contact them and they would send someone down.

We were disappointed but we hoped that the noise issue would improve. Children were still running up and down the corridors unsupervised when we were going back to our room but thankfully the noise eased by 11pm. Due to the hotel being so busy with families, we decided to get breakfast to our room the next morning rather than facing a noisy breakfast.

At 8.15am on Easter Sunday, we were woken up by our neigbours and the constant banging started again and continued until they went for breakfast. After 50 minutes of peace, it started up again!

At 10.30am, we knew we weren't going to have any peace and we felt that we had no option but to cut our weekend short and leave as we were getting really frustrated.

When we got to Reception, we spoke with the same Receptionist as the previous night. While she was apologetic, there was no effort on her part to make up for our disappointment at having to cut our special weekend short and nor did she offer to get a Manager. I had purchased 2 nights B&B and 1 Dinner and we were charged €360 for one night which was 3/4's of the package price. No effort was made at all to make up for our disappointment and while I expected to pay for the Prosecco I'd ordered, I was really disappointed that we were charged our Room Service Charge of €14 [which is dearer than some 5* Hotels we have stayed in] and €3 for the paper we had requested.

Leaving the hotel, from the way we were treated, we agreed that it was highly unlikely that we would ever return. I received an email within 30 minutes of checking out asking for my comments etc. and I completed this when I got home. I was contacted by the Quality and Training Manager on the Tuesday afternoon based on my comments and in fairness she did offer us a complimentary weekend but given our treatment in the hotel, I advised her that I didn't think it was something we would avail of.

While the hotel grounds are impressive, being charged 3/4's of the package amount and with no consideration being given for our having to cut our weekend short due to the issues we were having was bitterly disappointing.

The drinks we had in the bar were nice and the food we had in the Setanta Restaurant was nice although service in the latter part of our meal wasn't good.

Given the location of the hotel, the prices charged are very dear and it is definitely not value for money.

If you're looking for a relaxing break as a couple, this doesn't appear to be the hotel to get that, especially if you can only travel at weekends.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Celticcreation
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2018

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your most recent review. I am honestly disappointed to read your review and to learn that you felt the need to check out of the hotel a day early. With last week being Easter a lot of families were visiting on their holidays and we do offer a wide range of supervised children’s activities, which we do encourage families to avail of.
I am sorry to learn that the enjoyment of your stay was marred by the disturbance from other guests allocated close to your Suite.
I am pleased to note our Quality & Training Manager was in contact with you following your stay and if you re-consider her offer please contact her directly.
Kind Regards,
Tony Walker.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

Stayed here for a two night midweek break with my Husband, Had a lovely room with a view to the very well kept gardens.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The food in Kells bar was lovely, a great selection also for breakfast.
We did the walk around the large grounds in the morning which was very enjoyable.
Would def come back again.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of gardens.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding your room, service and food. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell Hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

My mother and I decided to spend two days here to celebrate my 21st birthday. We had heard great things in the past about the Slieve Russel and the Spa there, so decided to go with it over some other wonderful hotels we had previously visited for spa weekends.

Upon arrival, the staff were all friendly but the hotel appeared quite dated in the lobby area. The first thing that really stood out, however, was the screaming children that were running around. Although the children seemed to be having a ball, children running into you and jumping on and off of tables and the lobby's staircase somehow turned our 'relaxing spa break' into more of a whole hotel kids club (without the supervision).

For dinner we decided to visit the Satanta restaurant as their menu seemed more centred towards our tastebuds than the other restaurant. The food was lovely, however for the prices that they were charging, a tablecloth would have been nice, along with a cloth napkin rather than a paper one.

The spa offered great facilities. However, once again there was, unfortunately, a disappointment waiting for us there too. We had booked the steam temple, which was €70 for the both of us. When we went in to start the experience, the muds that we were to use had been used by somebody who had somehow snuck in before us. The ladies were very apologetic and replaced the pot. Halfway through the treatment, a spa user came in, took our towels and decided to help herself to the creams that we had paid for as part of our experience too. Being covered in mud in my bikini and having to ask her to leave as it was booked privately was quite embarrassing, to say the least. (Along with our lovely creams being half used!)

We showered and went out to the reception to pay. When we told the lady what had happened and how it had tainted the experience, she once again was apologetic however no solution was offered. This was very disappointing, as we had paid for the experience and the products and both of these features were disrupted.

Overall, we would not recommend this hotel to a couple, or adults without children who are looking to unwind and relax. It was more of a jungle gym for children, so if that's what you're looking for then you've found your place!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor and were woken up to children running and screaming.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank liliaecorrigan
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your most recent review. I am very sorry to learn that another visitor to our spa interrupted your private Rasul treatment and used your products and towels. I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever heard of this happening, we have a sign on the door of the Rasul which clearly states “Private Therapy” and “Please book at Reception”. As part of the introduction to the Hydrotherapy facilities, our Hydro Assistants explain the use of each area and highlight that the Rasul is a private treatment and does incur an additional charge. On this occasion it appears that an individual chose to ignore this and I am very sorry this marred the overall enjoyment of your experience. I note your comments regarding the children, as a family friendly hotel we have been exceptionally busy with the Easter holiday period. We do provide a full range of supervised children’s facilities, however in our public areas we do rely on the cooperation of parents to supervise their children. I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the future, as would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in us. Kind regards, Lucy Morris, Spa Manager (On behalf of the Slieve Russell Management Team).

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for a night to break up a trip from Dublin to Donegal. I’d heard it was a nice place and was a little cheaper than Farnham Estate so decided to go here.

The hotel surroundings are grand, nothing to write home about. Very standard hotel, a little dated in parts but does the job. Leisure facilities again were fine, no complaints, did what it said on the tin.

However, the food is what really surprised me. It’s a four star hotel and what we were served up in the hotel’s restaurant, Conall Cearnach, was poor to say the least. I went with pork won tons to start and it was like someone cooked frozen shop bought won tons a few hours previously, heated them up again on a hot plate and drowned them in a sea of blue dragon sweet chilli sauce to try and disguise the fact that they were completely dried out. My partner ordered the black pudding and goats cheese tart and it arrived luke warm. We hoped the mains would be better and while my steak was overdone (ordered medium rare and it was definitely medium), the meat and the flavour was actually nice. My partner however ordered the monkfish and got served a rubbery fish which lacked much flavour.

The only saving grace was the cheese cake for dessert as it was light and flavoursome. My partner ordered the icecream but it seemed they had scooped out the balls earlier in the day and then refroze them as you could see the crystals formed on the outside which made it less creamy and a little off putting. The whole experience just screamed a lack of freshly prepared food. Not what you’d expect when you’re paying the price we were. I did wonder whether their regular chef was away as the quality was so poor and the fact that we were then asked by around 5 different staff was the food ok. When I shared my concerns on the quality I was met with an apologetic response but one that really offered no solution “no it was cooked freshly, it should be fine”.

We decided to forget the experience and retire to bed where we had a comfortable room. However, at breakfast the next morning, when I ordered poached eggs which are on the menu on request, their lack of skills in the kitchen were on display again as I received 2 rock solid eggs.

I would not recommend the food in this hotel. The rest of the experience however was a standard affair and I wouldn’t have any complaints as long as you got a good deal.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aedamair

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am very sorry to learn the food in the Conall Cearnach Restaurant did not meet your expectations. I have discussed your valued comments with our Head Chef and he will address your experience with his culinary team. However may I please clarify that the won tons are made in house and cooked to order and the goat’s cheese starter is a warm salad starter. I do hope that you will reconsider your decision not to return, as we would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in us. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed April 1, 2018

Fantastic hotel. Beautiful grounds. Fantastic food.Top class staff. Room out of a magazine. First visit 23 years ago on our honeymoon even better than i remember it. Will be back again soon. Would highly recomend this hotel.

Stayed: March 2018

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted that you found the hotel to be even better than you remembered. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.