All reviews bar food lovely bar steak family funeral have eaten here lovely hotel prompt service wedges busy place chicken maryland saturday night nice atmosphere hit the spot top class cooked fresh great meal no elevator
Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

I had a bite to at the carrick last night. The bar was busy but found a seat just as ano couple left their table. We asked if it was ok to sit and waited for the table to be turned over & cleaned. We sat at table upon being invited to by the waitress. The floor was left un swept but sat regardless. I was keen on the Steak but reading the price was €28 euro I couldnt justify spending that kind of money on a main course. A steak with prawns was priced €30e. I decided to read through the menu and genuinely felt all the dishes were over priced and over market value. My partner brought to my attention the House burger was listed in the 'light bite' section unusual to list in this section but I decided to press ahead and order the burger at 14.95e and a starter of Clonakilty pudding. Let the show commence. The Clonakilty Pudding was not A Clonakilty Pudding ( see pic ) At best it was a standard shop pudding At worst if was a Clonakilty and if it was a 'fish from the sea' It would have been thrown back into water to allow mature to EU guidelines! I asked for A pint of milk to accompany my meal. It was served to me at Room Temperature (warm) I awaited my main course of the burger. Upon arrival the presentation from kitchen was pleasing to the eye. I cut into burger and halved it. Hey presto! A big al's (in my opinion) To look at (compressed meat) To eat the texture was comparable to a frozen burger and the taste confirmed it was factory seasoned. Now I have no issue with a frozen packet burger Ive munched down happily on many over the years (in the right context) but this is a hotel and i would kinda hope the burger described would match the setting; Unfortunately not. I decided to eat on regardless. The bun decribed to accompany burger was not! It was a cheap supermarket bun. Flaky hard crust that fell apart and the bread was doughy. The cheese was similar in taste and context of an easi single (no red cheddar here) I asked for another pint of Milk (with ice) to see if i could wash down this chunk of processed meat not beef! Milk arrived with Ice and still warm. I give credit to the fries. Nicely cook and fresh. My partner had asked for wedges with her main but fries accompanied her mains also. It goes without saying I didnt finish my starter my main course or either pint of milk. We noted the gentleman in bar stayed behind the bar and only came out once to check on one table (locals) That was it. No other table checked. I have no problem with the waitresses.In fairness they are school/ college going and do not posess the experience to sence an unhappy table. We got up to pay at bar. We were asked upon reciving our bill (by the gentleman behind bar) upon paying 'was everything ok with our meal' So my partner took the opportunity to outline the above. The answer She recieved knocked me for Six. 'but we never get complaints on our food' the gentleman replied shocked. I have my own opinion as to why (i wont devolge ) Upon explaining our plight (and I stress We didnt want anything for nothing) The two pints of Milk were discounted from the meal. I genuinely had a good giggle to myself at this. That gesture was the highlight of our Meal. Genuinely it was a classical funny moment (one which no doubt i will speak of again many a time) We happily paid the bill and left the building. I have to say I admire the gentlemans commitment to the kitchen the hotel his role. It was all 'the milk companies' fault our meal was such. (this is what i deduce as milk was taken off bill) We left but wont be returning. I am going to call the hotel today and speak with somebody who can put my mind to rest that we just picked a bad night in the hotel and were unfortunate to have had a poor experience. Id genuinely like to know if the food i described was in fact so! Im happy with a genuine explanation from the hotel. I dont expect anyone to take my word for the experience I had. I just would like to know Why the exorbitant prices on menu. My dish(s) did not reach the price set. Why was the music blaring over our heads as we dined. Why the lights were up full in a dining environment. Why no settings or condiments on any table. Why the gentleman only had a brief chat with one table and no other Why the poor standard of food The price reflects differently High End food! And was it realy the milks fault 'Never have complaints about the food! Realy! Like the burger presented to me I find that difficult to swallow too! The milk ( Im still smiling about this, it was genuinely a funny moment)

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dayshadays
Reviewed March 2, 2018 via mobile

The rooms are functional and the beds are comfy, bathroom is very nice as well.
There is a lovely bar in the hotel and they serve great Guinness, the breakfast was good but I have to say the coffee needs improving.
All in all a good stay and a secure car park across the road with cameras in it we will be back.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Youngy61
Carraig C, Manager at The Carraig Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2018

Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted to hear you will be back and look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed February 9, 2018 via mobile

After an initial problem with our room which was quickly rectified by moving us, we had great food and drink at this hotel. Lively hotel with lots of people coming and going. Food seems to draw a crowd. Would stay here again.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Carraig C, Front Office Manager at The Carraig Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2018

We are always happy to hear that people enjoyed their stay with us! Hope to have you back soon.

Regards

The Carraig Hotel

Reviewed February 5, 2018 via mobile

I have lost count of the amount of times myself and my partner have eaten here and we are always happy with it.
The menu is quite varied although a few more vegetarian/vegan options would be welcomed. This is not fine dining but it is good pub food served well.
The staff are lovely and almost always welcoming. The decor is a bit dated but has a homely feel. As for the cost, well it isn't cheap but it is good value for money when you take into account the quality of food and the fact that it is in a small town. Not only that but they do great deals as others have mentioned - I only wish they included more vegetarian options in those deals!!!
We come here alot as we like to support local places and I would definitely recommend this place to anyone!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your review Bridget. We love to see people returning to stay with us.
I will gladly pass on your thoughts about the menu and the vegetarian & vegan options available to our Head Chef.
Hope to have you with us again.

Regards

The Carraig Hotel.

Reviewed February 2, 2018 via mobile

Expensive menu and excellent service were the hallmarks of our visit. My fish pie was superb and just what was needed after a long wet and cold day. A restaurant almost hidden away must be made known to others. Keep up the great work.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your kind review. We value every guests opinions and thoughts on their stay, it is lovely knowing you enjoyed your time with us and meal.

Hope to have you stay with us again.

Kind Regards