All reviews local pub tasting menu kevin dundon cookery school until noon fish and chips overlooking the garden upgraded to a suite cookery course the main dining room hook head bar menu relaxing weekend hook peninsula afternoon tea two night stay champagne bar
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed for two nights B & B plus 1 dinner between Christmas and the new year and were looking forward to an exceptional meal in the dining room. However we were disappointed that there was very little to get excited about on the menu. I had the pate which was good but not brilliant. I also had the game pie which I found rather dry. The sticky toffee pudding was quite poor - dry and uninteresting. Our room was lovely (we had a suite) and the house itself is attractive. On the second morning we were left waiting for breakfast while other guests came, ordered, ate and left ( the staff must have mislaid the order as they had to be reminded). We ate the second night in a nearby pub, The Hollow, and the fresh fish there was absolutely excellent. This is a lovely part of Ireland and we really enjoyed the trip - pity about the high expectations of Dunbrody's dining room.

Room tip: The suite is worth the extra price as you get two full rooms plus a big bathroom
Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank IrelandJill
Reviewed December 30, 2011

This was a Christmas treat, one night with dinner at Dunbrody. Overall the house is lovely, it has been decorated very well, and is comfortable without being overly lavish - just perfect for a winter getaway. The room was a little on the small side - it was a standard room. Saying that the bed was very comfortable and the room was clean, we were also in a quiet part of the house. The whole house has a nice ambiance. However the disappointment I am referring to came at dinner. For €65 each, I was looking forward to a memorable dinner. The starters were good, pate and a salad. It was obvious the ingredients were fresh and thought had been put into the use of seasonal produce. My main of game pie was delicious, but my husbands main of ham was pretty uninspired. The desserts were ok, my husband had a chocolate parfait, that was hard (just out of a very cold fridge I suspect) when really it should be "melt in the mouth" when presented to the diner. I had sticky toffee pudding, that was definitely dry, rather than moist. I do appreciate that people have to earn a living, and that this is a business, but this dinner was Michelin Star prices. I have paid this for dinner in a few starred and unstarred restaurants in Dublin, and paid less for way better food throughout Ireland - all have been great. I really felt value for money was terrible,a nd we were cheated out of a great dining experience. Service was good to start with, but we were kind of left to our own devices after that. The lady who hosted never came over to ask if the food was good etc. I thought this was a bit unusual, generally they "check in with diners".
Breakfast was lovely, and they have it on until 12 noon, which is fabulous! The staff are really nice, and friendly. It would have been nice to stay another night, but work called. I think 2 nights is best in any of these places, as you are really only getting into the swing of things on day 2. All in all, I would be wary going back, not because of the place itself, but just the disappointment of the food.

Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank runnergirl25
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Just had lunch rather than a dinner in Dunbrody on Saturday afternoon. Had a chowder and a prawn cocktail to start. Chowder fish was smoked and came served with the sauce separate and ready to pour. Cocktail was full of lush prawns. Both fabulous. We then had the sliders which came with home cooked chips and all was perfect. Atmostphere and ambience was as always second to none, only wish i had enough timt to stay for dinner. Next time!!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Davekerr1848
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Just a mail to drop a line about a half-day spa package I enjoyed in Dunbrody House Spa two weeks ago - I am still reminiscing on how much I enjoyed my massage & facial with Laura! She made me feel quite welcome & nothing was any trouble but I must say the treatments were fantastic. I have visited many well known Spa's in Ireland to date & the service plus products used in Dunbrody were unmatchable..................Well done Dunbrody!

The luncheon was a nice pre-Spa treat also!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Lorna S
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Wow wow what a weekend we had at Dunbrody House Hotel to celebrate my Aunts birthday with all her nieces. We had a brillant time, Catherine and all of her team were delightful, and so friendly. Food was fabulous, we even got a tour of the kitchen and met the most frendliest chef's especially Julian.Rooms were very comfortable and warm. We also met Coco the dog who loved all the attention she got.Well done to all at Dunbrody, we will be back very soon.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank janet190754
DunbrodyHouse, Owner at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Dear Janet1907
Thanks so much for your lovely comments. We are all delighted that you enjoyed the weekend and we'll certainly be looking forward to welcoming you all back again. Birthday celebrations are always enjoyable for us to look after especially when all the guests are such a pleasure.
Til next time, best wishes from all here at Dunbrody
Catherine & all the Team