“New Year's day lunch in the dining room”

Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arthurstown
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Consider this as a restaurant review as we did not stay there. We may next year.
This is near Duncannon, an out-of-the-way spot of the Hook peninsula in the South-East of Ireland, with a gourmet executive chef - Kevin Dundon (kevindundon.com) - with several books to his name.
We went there for a lunch on new year's day. Starters were chicken liver pate and artichoke soup, a delicate taste. Mains were cod (from Kilmore Quay) and a sirloin steak with a good mix of accompanying veg - carrot, beans, turnip, all local produce. They did not ask me how I wanted the steak; it came rare-to-medium so I asked for it to be done a bit more. There is a vegetarian option, the chef can do a risotto to order, which should be good too. Dessert was somewhat minimal, a mango dessert and a chocolate dish, both of which might have been better thawed a bit more, but maybe we were hasty. Coffee was OK, it may have been poured into a cold pot and lost some of the hit. Service is attentive, you might call it slow but that's the whole point of a day out to this kind of place, we would have normally idled around later reading the papers but we wanted to get back before dark. The temperature of the waiting rooms was not warm, but not noticeably cold either - I had an incipient cold so may have been more susceptible than normal.
Lunch is not cheap at 35 euro per head, budget on 100 for a couple with drinks, but that's what you pay for good food.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GYWX

Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed for two nights B & B plus 1 dinner between Christmas and the new year and were looking forward to an exceptional meal in the dining room. However we were disappointed that there was very little to get excited about on the menu. I had the pate which was good but not brilliant. I also had the game pie which I found rather dry. The sticky toffee pudding was quite poor - dry and uninteresting. Our room was lovely (we had a suite) and the house itself is attractive. On the second morning we were left waiting for breakfast while other guests came, ordered, ate and left ( the staff must have mislaid the order as they had to be reminded). We ate the second night in a nearby pub, The Hollow, and the fresh fish there was absolutely excellent. This is a lovely part of Ireland and we really enjoyed the trip - pity about the high expectations of Dunbrody's dining room.

Room Tip: The suite is worth the extra price as you get two full rooms plus a big bathroom
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IrelandJill
Reviewed 30 December 2011

This was a Christmas treat, one night with dinner at Dunbrody. Overall the house is lovely, it has been decorated very well, and is comfortable without being overly lavish - just perfect for a winter getaway. The room was a little on the small side - it was a standard room. Saying that the bed was very comfortable and the room was clean, we were also in a quiet part of the house. The whole house has a nice ambiance. However the disappointment I am referring to came at dinner. For €65 each, I was looking forward to a memorable dinner. The starters were good, pate and a salad. It was obvious the ingredients were fresh and thought had been put into the use of seasonal produce. My main of game pie was delicious, but my husbands main of ham was pretty uninspired. The desserts were ok, my husband had a chocolate parfait, that was hard (just out of a very cold fridge I suspect) when really it should be "melt in the mouth" when presented to the diner. I had sticky toffee pudding, that was definitely dry, rather than moist. I do appreciate that people have to earn a living, and that this is a business, but this dinner was Michelin Star prices. I have paid this for dinner in a few starred and unstarred restaurants in Dublin, and paid less for way better food throughout Ireland - all have been great. I really felt value for money was terrible,a nd we were cheated out of a great dining experience. Service was good to start with, but we were kind of left to our own devices after that. The lady who hosted never came over to ask if the food was good etc. I thought this was a bit unusual, generally they "check in with diners".
Breakfast was lovely, and they have it on until 12 noon, which is fabulous! The staff are really nice, and friendly. It would have been nice to stay another night, but work called. I think 2 nights is best in any of these places, as you are really only getting into the swing of things on day 2. All in all, I would be wary going back, not because of the place itself, but just the disappointment of the food.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank runnergirl25
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Just had lunch rather than a dinner in Dunbrody on Saturday afternoon. Had a chowder and a prawn cocktail to start. Chowder fish was smoked and came served with the sauce separate and ready to pour. Cocktail was full of lush prawns. Both fabulous. We then had the sliders which came with home cooked chips and all was perfect. Atmostphere and ambience was as always second to none, only wish i had enough timt to stay for dinner. Next time!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Davekerr1848
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Just a mail to drop a line about a half-day spa package I enjoyed in Dunbrody House Spa two weeks ago - I am still reminiscing on how much I enjoyed my massage & facial with Laura! She made me feel quite welcome & nothing was any trouble but I must say the treatments were fantastic. I have visited many well known Spa's in Ireland to date & the service plus products used in Dunbrody were unmatchable..................Well done Dunbrody!

The luncheon was a nice pre-Spa treat also!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Lorna S
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Wow wow what a weekend we had at Dunbrody House Hotel to celebrate my Aunts birthday with all her nieces. We had a brillant time, Catherine and all of her team were delightful, and so friendly. Food was fabulous, we even got a tour of the kitchen and met the most frendliest chef's especially Julian.Rooms were very comfortable and warm. We also met Coco the dog who loved all the attention she got.Well done to all at Dunbrody, we will be back very soon.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank janet190754
DunbrodyHouse, Owner at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2011

Dear Janet1907
Thanks so much for your lovely comments. We are all delighted that you enjoyed the weekend and we'll certainly be looking forward to welcoming you all back again. Birthday celebrations are always enjoyable for us to look after especially when all the guests are such a pleasure.
Til next time, best wishes from all here at Dunbrody
Catherine & all the Team

Reviewed 9 November 2011

My husband brought me on a special one night birthday break last Saturday 5th November to Dunbrody House. From the minute we parked the car to when we left the next day, we had a marvellous time! It was so relaxing and a great switch off from our busy everyday lives .Our room was so comfortable - it felt like we were back in time with the beautiful antique surroundings! . Before dinner , we were brought into the kitchen and given a talk about the evenings menu by the chef and were presented with a little taster... such a nice touch. .. and to see the kitchen staff preparing for the evening. We had the Gourmet Tasting Menu and enjoyed every course immensely. Never had such a wonderful food experience before paired with perfect wines.
The whole place with welcome fires, friendly staff and rugged countryside setting was totally appreciated by the two of us. Only wished we could have stayed an extra night or two. We definitely will return for a longer break next time.
The whole operation at Dunbrody is just fabulous and extra special! A break doing a cookery course at their cookery school sounds tempting..(.next birthday present!)

Room Tip: We had a back room with view over outhouses, but the view did not bother us. Rooms overlooking the f...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grainne007

Dear Grainne007,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay with us. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your short break with us especially with our new "Open Kitchen" pre dinner. Guests certainly seem to enjoy meeting the chefs, having a caht and seeing whats coming up for dinner that night. The Tasting Menu is a great way to sample smaller portions of everything when you only have the one night. Its a great way to experience the whole seasonal menu and spend lots of time over dinner. We'd be thrilled to see you back again at Dunbrody for the cookery school or maybe to try the Seafood Bar Menu or pamper yourself in the spa.
Til we see you again, all the best from us here at Dunbrody
Catherine & all the Staff

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthurstown
8.1 km away
11.8 km away
Granville Hotel
Granville Hotel
#2 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Dunbrody Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!