TripAdvisor
Marsh Mere Lodge(Arthurstown)
TripAdvisor
All reviewslocal pubtasting menukevin dundoncookery schoolfish and chipsoverlooking the gardenon arrivalupgraded to a suitethe main housecookery courseuntil noonthe main dining roombirthday treathook headbar menuold houserelaxing weekend
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Just back from 2 night break with the 'Sisters'. Beautiful big old house. No problems finding the hotel. Have travelled these roads many times so well used to small country roads.First night was the voucher deal B&B with 8 course taster menu. Personally I would not go with this menu again, however it was cool to taste all the different courses/food which I would not normally order. Presentation of food was second to none, with the most helpful and friendly staff I have come across in a long time. 2nd night we ate in the bar. The food, inc. mains and deserts was gorgeous for all four of us. Had a very friendly 'hello' from Kevin himself. Late breakfast was a great treat. Both mornings we had beautiful breakfasts with fresh juices, fruits, homemade breads/toast. Morning one we had full irish which was excellent, morning two the buttermilk pancakes, the lightest pancakes ever!
Overall a great relaxing weekend. The only complaint was it was a little draughty sitting in the bar both evenings. However we must take into account it is a big old house and the weather was very cold last weekend.
Would love to return in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank YellowLuigi
dunbrody, General Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear YellowLuigi,

Thank you very much for your recent review of your stay with us here at Dunbrody Country House. We appreciate the time and effort taken to leave your feedback.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us over the two days especially your dining experience in the restaurant with the Tasting Menu and again your experience in the bar on the second evening. We are delighted that you enjoyed the service here; we are very proud of our staff and their commitment to looking after our guests.

Apologies if you felt it was a little draughty but as you said it is an old house, the fires are lighting each evening during the winter months which makes the hotel much cosier.

Once again thank you for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to see us again soon.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Spent one night (sat) here in early november - we came down on the back of an apparently good deal on a voucher site for a one night stay BB to include tasting menu for two. We had heard great things - in particular that chef/ owner Kevin dundon actually cooks in the kitchen most nights.( on recall now most of the great things I had heard were from him )

First thing - we really didnt realise the hotel was so far from Dublin. Even from wexford it is 30km on really awful roads. I would actually advise that the roads locally to the hotel are dangerous. Arthurstown is really in the middle of no-where.... The entrance to the hotel is bizzare......That said we arrived at the House and it is lovely. Quite grand and obviously well maintained. Our room whilst small was really lovely - old world comfort ( which we hoped for ), big sash windows, nice bed etc. Bathroom was dated but spotless and well appointed.

We had arrived late afternoon and were keen for a drink pre "getting ready for dinner" - as you do. So we enjoyed two pints of lovely guiness and a glass of well priced NZ SB. A good start. I had a quick peak at the dining room - it is border line stunning. A lovely room. A quick lie down followed and then down for dinner. Pre dinner G&T was accompanied by home made crisps. Sweet mother - they were good. So too was the G&T.

On to dinner. We were having an 8 course taster menu. ( so i had worn my tracksuit pants in anticipation of roman feasting )....our first course arrived before our wine had appeared on the table. Actually it arrived before anyone had thought to take our wine order.....First course arrived with no intro of what we were having. No verbal description of any of the courses except one. I like tasting menus but I love the story and description of the particular course. The really good restaurants understand that the sell by the waiter at this stage is almost as important as whats on the plate. I wont go through each course. But each was at best "fine" and at worst uninteresting. Each course was miniscule. It was more sample portion than taster. Wine arrived at the end of the second serving. BTW the home made bread was superb - and a good thing too as we needed lots. So all in all dinner was quite disappointing. The food I would discribe on average as little more than local bistro fare. The service is so poor and below standard for what I thought this hotel was trying to be. All of the staff appear to be local young kids/ college kids. They are shy and intimidated by what they are doing and look they have had no formal training at all. They dont even have the "irish welcome" element which a lot of the time can be better received than a classy formally trained waiter. Any of our servers just came across as clock watching part timers eager to get off home.

We adjourned to the nice bar for an after dinner Irish coffee and noticed Chef Dundon at the bar with friends. So he was in the kitchen I suspect on this night which disappointed me a bit more. Why wouldnt he come out of the kitchen and do a round of the dining room and say hello to his paying guests? what a missed opportunity. Even in the bar ( there was only circa 8 of us there in total ) there wasnt even a "hello" out of him. For us to leave the bar he actually had to move his seat and when he did he barely even acknowledged us. Maybe we got him on a bad night - but I go where i am welcomed. I go where I feel appreciated. I sound like a nob now - but hey it is what it is. And for the record I reckon I have told maybe 20 people this exact story.

A nice sleep and a welcome lie in given breakfast runs until midday which is brilliant. Well breakfast was a triumph. One of the best I have EVER had. It is obvious there is some "mammy" figure in the kitchen whipping up a storm. Home made bread, toast to die for ( you think toast is toast? well its not ) freshly baked pastries - hearty porridge by the bucket load all served with beautiful plums. A wonderful cooked breakfast and served by more mature staff. It was a different place. We really really enjoyed breakfast. My wife, who basically eats green things and water, saw my cooked feast and had the same. I think it was the first cooked brekfast she has had in 5 years! Well done to the kitchen - it was a joy.

All in all a nice place. Too far away to travel for lazy service and just ok ( dinner) food.

Probably wont be back.

2  Thank mgbentour

Dear mgbentour,

Many thanks for your recent review of your visit to us lately. We appreciate all of your feedback and will discuss it with the management team.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your experience in the bar and especially the home-made crisps before dinner.
In relation to your dining experience in the restaurant I am sorry if you felt the food was not to your liking. As the menu is a Tasting Menu the courses are smaller due to there being eight courses. I find it a little strange that you felt all of our staff were "clock watching part timers" with little training as we are always complimented on the staff we have working here with the majority being Irish citizens therefore always giving an "Irish welcome".
Delighted to read that you enjoyed breakfast with us on the next morning, we have a fantastic breakfast chef "Susan" who is very good at her job.
Once again thank you for all of your comments, we will take everything on board; hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime in the future if only for the Irish breakfast!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were delighted to arrive to reception to be informed that we were upgraded to a suite, it was so comfortable, lovely bed living room and huge bathroom. A pity the bathroom towels were a little on the worn side and there was a scarcity of shampoos etc in fact there was no soap!

1  Thank frankkc

Dear frankkc,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us, delighted that you enjoyed the complimentary upgrade to one of our suites. Apologies if there was no soap in your room however we would have brought more shampoo/amenities had you called reception to request more.
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Got a great deal for an overnight B&B and 8 course tasting menu last weekend. Everything about the stay was simply lovely and so comfortable. The staff were excellent and were very welcoming. If you are a person who loves good food and wants a lovely relaxing overnight stay to go with it this is the place to go. Its surrounded by lovely woodland and the drive up is beautiful, especially in the Autumn. The rooms are very comfortable and cosy - just perhaps make sure you are in a room not near the bar if you are a light sleeper but it did not have a major effect on us. For a romantic night away book it now - it was so perfect that we even got engaged. We did'nt try the spa but it looked fantastic and would love to come back to do a cooking course- especially after tasting the food which was fantastic. All in all a really lovely short break.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
dunbrody, General Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Dear BeijingexpatChina,

Thank you very much for your recent review, we really appreciate the positive feedback relating to our staff & property.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the food experience too, keep an eye on our website for a list of courses for the cookery school where you can see an outline for each course.
Once again thank you for the feedback and congratulations on your engagement, don't forget we do weddings too!!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We were excited about our trip as we had decided to book a suite so we were looking forward to chilling out for a couple of days in a bit of luxury. What a disappointment...the suite was a lovely size but extremely tatty. The couch looked like it should have been thrown out many years ago and looked dirty. The bathroom was awful. It was very dated and there were pubic hairs in the bath and tiles that looked like they were coming off the wall. The towels and face cloths were thin and the cotton balls in the glass jar clearly had been handled. The TV was prehistoric. The food was average. The breakfast was particularly disappointing, I went to get some fruit and I had to pick up 4 different bowls before I found a clean one, they were stained with dried pieces of cereal/porridge. It turned me right off. We got bread but no butter, asked for poached eggs and got fried, the orange juice is from a carton, not fresh. The staff are all lovely, helpful, friendly & polite but clearly untrained and there seemed to be no one there to give direction.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SangriaLady

Dear SangriaLady,

Many thanks for your recent review of our hotel. Let me firstly apologise if you did not enjoy your stay with us; I can assure you that your feedback is taken very seriously and I have carried out a full investigation.
I am sorry you feel the bathrooms are dated, they are not super modern bathrooms as this is a Country House with a little more of a country feel to it; I could find no evidence to suggest that any tiles were falling off the walls. After a thorough check of the towels and facecloths I could find none as you described as thin. The cotton balls in the jar are checked everyday however I do accept that there may have been one or two handled.
Regarding the food, I am sorry if you came across bowls that were not perfectly clean, this is not acceptable & it is something that has been rectified. The orange juice is squeezed by the Breakfast Chef everyday.
We take the reviews that are written about the hotel very seriously, I have to hold my hands up when we are not perfect but at the same time I have to defend the hotel when I feel that some points are unjust.
I do hope you read this reply and appreciate my points, I would hope to welcome you back again; if only to prove to you that we are better than your description in this review. If you would like to contact me to discuss this further please do not hesitate to email me your details at: pmernagh@dunbrodyhouse.com.
As always thank you for your feedback, I look forward to the chance to welcome you back to see us again in the future.