My family (My husband, 5-yr old son and I) spent 4 nights during Christmas season. The hotel is spread-out and utilitarian – if you know this and prepared for it, you’ll have a good time.
- Comfortable well designed modern rooms. Bathroom had sauna and winter gear drying equipment
- Great location to enjoy many exciting winter activities. Multiple companies offer many exciting activities nearby.
- Drivable distance to Santa’s Village and Rovaniemi
- 2-hours drive from airport – watch out for snow covered reindeer!
- Limited hotel staff for front desk and restaurants
We flew to Kittilä and the drove 2+ hours to the hotel. On Route #80 (rural road), we encountered several reindeer on the road…drivers needs to be careful. There were reindeer farms, husky farms, ice fishing lakes located within 10 kilometers. One can also ski on nearby hill.
We stayed in a suite. The room came with a nice size sauna, and to have the winter gear drying machine was really helpful. The bedroom was separated by an accordion door – which I thought was odd, but gave enough privacy. While the kitchen was small, it had all the necessary equipment and we were able to fix meals. Suite rooms are the last addition to this hotel complex and are located at the end of the hotel.
Christmas time was the high season, but I saw only limited staff working at the hotel. Sometimes I saw front desk staff, but other times I did not see them at all. Restaurant staff was also very limited – we tried to eat at the bistro...but after seeing only one waiter working and after waiting at the door for 20 min to be seated, we gave up and went back to our room and cooked our dinner instead. We were grateful that we had that option.
In addition to the hotel’s own activity program, there are 3 major activity providers located nearby. We chose Snow Games, but all seems very professional and responsible companies. We tried husky safari twice (not to be missed!) and ice fishing. We usually had about 20+ people for each activity.
We also directly contacted a nearby reindeer farm, Luoston Porosafari, and did 3 reindeer related activities through them. Luoston Porosafari’s owners Anu and Jani were very lovely people and provided individual tour and undivided attention. We had a dinner prepared by both Anu and Jani that was simply delicious.
Santa’s village and Rovaniemi is a little more than an 1+ hour drive from the hotel. My son enjoyed meeting with Santa. We bit the bullet and went through this exercise but it was a very long wait and was a very commercialized affair.
As expected, most guests were from Europe (saw French, German, British and Russians). There were some from Japan. When people found out we were from NY, they gave us puzzled “why are you here” look.
We only ate breakfast at the restaurant – which was buffet style and had good variety.
Having a kitchen in the room was very helpful as we were too tired/ too busy and couldn’t rely on the restaurant’s (slow) service. A grocery store is located across the street.
Once we got the hang of the fact that we need to be self-sufficient, we were fine.
Would we come back?
Yes! We want to try many more activities when we are there next.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Lapland Hotel Luostotunturi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotelli Luostotunturi Luosto
- Hotelli Luostotunturi Hotel Luosto