“Solid Hotel for Self-sufficient Types”

Lapland Hotel Luostotunturi
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Luosto
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My family (My husband, 5-yr old son and I) spent 4 nights during Christmas season. The hotel is spread-out and utilitarian – if you know this and prepared for it, you’ll have a good time.

Highs:
- Comfortable well designed modern rooms. Bathroom had sauna and winter gear drying equipment
- Great location to enjoy many exciting winter activities. Multiple companies offer many exciting activities nearby.
- Drivable distance to Santa’s Village and Rovaniemi

Lows:
- 2-hours drive from airport – watch out for snow covered reindeer!
- Limited hotel staff for front desk and restaurants

Location:
We flew to Kittilä and the drove 2+ hours to the hotel. On Route #80 (rural road), we encountered several reindeer on the road…drivers needs to be careful. There were reindeer farms, husky farms, ice fishing lakes located within 10 kilometers. One can also ski on nearby hill.

Room:
We stayed in a suite. The room came with a nice size sauna, and to have the winter gear drying machine was really helpful. The bedroom was separated by an accordion door – which I thought was odd, but gave enough privacy. While the kitchen was small, it had all the necessary equipment and we were able to fix meals. Suite rooms are the last addition to this hotel complex and are located at the end of the hotel.

Service:
Christmas time was the high season, but I saw only limited staff working at the hotel. Sometimes I saw front desk staff, but other times I did not see them at all. Restaurant staff was also very limited – we tried to eat at the bistro...but after seeing only one waiter working and after waiting at the door for 20 min to be seated, we gave up and went back to our room and cooked our dinner instead. We were grateful that we had that option.

Activities:
In addition to the hotel’s own activity program, there are 3 major activity providers located nearby. We chose Snow Games, but all seems very professional and responsible companies. We tried husky safari twice (not to be missed!) and ice fishing. We usually had about 20+ people for each activity.

We also directly contacted a nearby reindeer farm, Luoston Porosafari, and did 3 reindeer related activities through them. Luoston Porosafari’s owners Anu and Jani were very lovely people and provided individual tour and undivided attention. We had a dinner prepared by both Anu and Jani that was simply delicious.

Santa’s village and Rovaniemi is a little more than an 1+ hour drive from the hotel. My son enjoyed meeting with Santa. We bit the bullet and went through this exercise but it was a very long wait and was a very commercialized affair.

Guests:
As expected, most guests were from Europe (saw French, German, British and Russians). There were some from Japan. When people found out we were from NY, they gave us puzzled “why are you here” look.

Food:
We only ate breakfast at the restaurant – which was buffet style and had good variety.

Having a kitchen in the room was very helpful as we were too tired/ too busy and couldn’t rely on the restaurant’s (slow) service. A grocery store is located across the street.

Why 4-Points?
Once we got the hang of the fact that we need to be self-sufficient, we were fine.

Acid Test:
Would we come back?
Yes! We want to try many more activities when we are there next.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Mochi7

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Spent four days here through The Aurora Zone and it exceeded expectations. One of the greatest plus points was the personal buzzer which told you when the Aurora was visible so you didn't have to peer out the window the whole time on the off chance you'd see it - and the system worked- we had one great display lasting almost two hours.
The hotel itself is modern and quite large.Our twin bedded room included a settee and coffee table and a balcony overlooking the forest. There's not much storage space and it's fairly functional but beautifully warm given that the external temperatures were between -15C and -30C. Be warned- if you want a kettle in your room it costs approx 14 euros extra and your room will only be cleaned and the beds made if you put the relevent hanger on the outside door knob.
We were on an inclusive meal deal and were very impressed by the standard. The choice at the buffet breakfast was extensive and I can highly recommend the porridge and the DIY waffles. Unlike another reviewer, we had no problems with things running out no matter what time we arrived. The three course evening meal had a limited choice of about three items per course but was of a good standard. We ate in the hotel's new restaurant about two hundred yards from the main building on its opening night and that was excellent. The setting too (the largest wooden restaurant in the world- or was it in Finland?) was lovely with log fires and candlelight. We even had a visit from Father Christmas- must have been working late as it was at the end of January.
We had a very good value 10 euro lunch in the hotel's bistro restaurant. If someone hadn't told us about it we wouldn't have realised it was on offer but it's a really good deal.
As to the activities in the area, we can recommend the snow mobiling, the husky ride and the visit to the Amethyst Mine, where the scenery is absolutely stunning with great views all around. Didn't find any amethysts though.

Overall, a really good holiday and, even if we hadn't seen the Northern Lights, it would still have been worth doing.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Annebailes
Reviewed 8 March 2012

What a wonderful week, the hotel is fine, we opted for a suite with our own sauna, and asked for a north facing room. Although pre warned that the food buffet was not gourmet standard, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and ate better than the 4/5 star hotel we went to in Antigua last year. The staff are friendly, reception gets a bit chaotic on occasion, as does the dining room, depending on the weather. We booked with Activities Abroad and everything went smoothly (except flight delay home, which wasn't their fault), the staff at snow games are great, and the guides friendly, patient, knowledgeable and fun. We saw the Aurora on 4 nights which was awesome, we booked the aurora alarm which is a mobile phone that sends an aurora alert when it is viewable be careful as the hotel quoted 70 euros for the week, but our activities abroad information pack quoted 15 euros which is what we paid. We did ice fishing (more fun than I thought it would be), snow mobiling to amethyst mine (a great trip with amazing scenery), visited a reindeer farm and had a sleigh ride (great fun and very interesting talk), husky visit with sled ride AMAZING, cross country skiing (fun but quite hard work, stick to the slow group unless very fit), the nightime snowshoe safari up the mountain I found very hard, but I'd been quite ill a couple of weeks before, I made it to the top and the guide that stayed with me was lovely, patient, and encouraging, and I was only about 5 mins behind the others, we stayed up there for a while and it was lovely.On our free day there was a local reindeer racing event which was great fun, attended by many locals and tourists, and everyone had a good time, watching brave young skiers being pulled around a 1Km course at high speed by some very crazy reindeer. We used the swimming pool once which was a nice relaxing hour or two, there was a lovely walk around the frozen lake, this is where we went at night to view the aurora as there was little light pollution. We didn't use the gym or have any treatments in the spa. Drinks are quite expensive 12cl of wine(which is very small) 5 euros 80cents, 0.4l beer is 6 euros. We didn't see the chalets although I'm sure they are equally good, however something to consider is that you have to dress in your warm clothing and walk to the hotel for meals, take some off to dine, then dress in warm clothing again to walk back, it's a personal choice, and if you're in a group might be fun, but we were glad we were in the hotel as we could dress casually and wear comfy slipper sox. There aren't many shops in Luosto, but enough for some souvenirs, and you're not there for the shopping. We didn't downhill ski and I don't think it's challenging for the advanced, but there were no queues for lifts, and there was a ski bus taking people to other areas. Our reps Peter and Lorna were lovely and always about and making sure everything was going well. It is definately a trip I would recommend, to experience so much and see such amazing beauty will stay with me for a very long time.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sunflowerWales
Reviewed 29 February 2012

This hotel is a wonderful base for people who want to take part in winter activities but with a comfortable, clean base to return to in the evenings. I travelled here with a friend in February 2010 and had a wonderful stay that included huskies, snowmobiles, northern lights and even some downhill skiing. We joined a group organised by Activities Abroad and this was one of the most stress free holidays i have ever had! I have travelled with them since and again everything was perfect from the sales knowledge and advice to the quick and efficient admin team.

The hotel is extremely welcoming and the food in the restaurants is wonderful - not the most complex, haute cuisine i have ever had but warm, tasty and filling after a day with the huskies. The pool can be a little cold but definitely worth a dip and the jacuzzi is a lovely way to spend an evening. The saunas are in the separate changing rooms but swim wear is not allowed (just a warning!). The 'night club' downstairs was a great evenings entertainment and the Finnish people are surprisingly good at karaoke! The bar upstairs is a good place to sit and relax and has a very friendly atmosphere.

I didnt have time to use it but there is also a spa offering massages etc if you fancy a bit of pampering

Room Tip: Some other people had booked a suite and we had a nose round it - definitely worth it for the extra...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Our family have just got back from a weeks snow adventure staying in a log cabin with half board at this hotel. The hotel was excellent with the food buffet being of a high standard. All the staff were friendly, helpful and spoke good English. I recommend getting to the buffet breakfast early as it can get busy later. There was a couple of things which can be improved on - after being on the move all day on the day of arriving I would have prefered a chance to have a hot dinner on arrival rather than salad left in our cabin and we felt our cabin would have been better a little closer to the hotel, activities provider ( snow games) and the ski slope. It was about 900m to the hotel and the slope and snow games were even further. I recommend taking marsh mellows with you in your case as the shop did not sell them, which was a great disapointment for the children who wanted to toast them on the open fire in our cabin. Wine is very expensive in the hotel (about 10-12 euros for a large glass of rose!) . The slopes are very quiet and the ski and boots hire provider are helpful and equipment was of very good quality. My snoeboard instructer Jarni was patient and kind (and good looking! ) Overall we had a wonderful holiday and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a great snow adventure with the family, and yes we did see the northern lights!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Annem2602
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Had a great four days in Luosto, suberbly arranged by The Aurorazone. The hotel was good, comfortable and the staff very helpful. As all outside clothing was provided by the hotel and included in the package with The aurorazone, everything went smoothly and we were snug and dry. Great activities with the Snow Games, all accompanied with experienced guides. The only disappointment was, no Northern Lights!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a problem anywhere. We were right behind the reception but had no noise...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judy B
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I have been in a log cabin for 1 week in Jan 2012 on my honeymoon. The cabins were formerly propriety of Scandic, now part of Luostotunturi. The place was clean, spacious, with fireplace and private sauna. There was a kitchenette fully furnished so you can go at the local supermarket (short walk from the cabin) and cook your own meals.The hotel/spa was very close so breakfast in the morning and facilities were at easy reach. Breakfast buffet was included and offered a wide choice of local and typical food.
The hotel staff is friendly and helpful, they can book activities for you and accomodate any requests.
I could see northern lights directly from my cabin, overlooking the woods and offering extreme privacy. Walking paths are around the place and ski/snowmobiles rentals are just across the street, same as the ski slopes.
I loved the place and would recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: we were assigned cabin 115, the closest to the hotel and walking route. I could see northern lights...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luosto
20.7 km away
26.5 km away
No photo provided
Holiday Center Luppo
#3 of 5 in Pyhatunturi

Been to Lapland Hotel Luostotunturi? Share your experiences!