Open today: 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Whale watching with captain Duminda and his crew

We left port about 7 easy steam out to where whales were feeding I'd imagine Sore some dolphins on... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Nellar1965
Mirissa Whale Watching

I enjoyed my whale watching trip with Mirissa Whale Warriors immensely. The boat set off nice and... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
NaomiJasmin
London, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews fresh fruit their efforts whale watching tour whales and dolphins knew exactly where wet towels blue whale his knowledge amazing experience coffee tea nice breakfast these guys his team great tour sea sickness flying fish sri lanka
Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Whole team was very friendly and supportive. We had wonderful experience . Watched two type whales. Duminda has vast experience and knowledge about their habitat. Will recommend him. His patience and concern not to disturb their habitat to be appreciated. Thank you Duminda and your team. Good going

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed March 31, 2018

The captain Duminda is very enthusiastic in sharing his days as a fisherman to where he is now - a whale "spotter" (: Ask him any questions about the sea and he will be glad to answer.

There are many creatures in the sea, but besides the blue whales and dolphins that are tolerant of humans, the orcas, humpbacks etc shy away from us, so don't get too bummed out if you don't spot anything else.

We spotted at least 30+ dolphins and probably 5 blue whales. It was an exciting sight to see many pods of dolphins frolicking in the water and swimming really close to our boat!

The whole trip lasts for about 4 hours. Be prepared for a long, puke-inducing ride. On the day we went, the currents were rather strong and three quarter of the people on board actually puked. I wish they warned us ahead though.

We had about 20ish people and everyone could get a good view of the marine animals. Fruits and tea were offered and the crew took good care of the sick passengers. No comments on the breakfast provided as I had my own.

Overall, it was an enjoyable trip with many photos taken.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed March 21, 2018 via mobile

When you arrive at the boat yard it is a free for all with lots of vendors all at the same spot each working for different companies wanting to take your money. We had a tuk tuk pick us up from our homestay as we were told this was a must to find the yard but from the main bus stop it’s like 5/10mins walk, very close so no real need for added tuk tuk cost. From what I could see all the rates seemed to be the same and flat at 6000rupee each.

For the price of the tour breakfast was disappointing. Everything cold, two triangle sandwiches, sweet rolled pancake and two small bananas with a Luke warm tea. When you pay almost £30 each it would have been nicer to have better selection and better taste.

Duminda is a nice bloke and has spent a lot of time perfecting his English at English school for the sake of tourism. He is very chatty and likes to explain a lot of things which is nice. He has a long past spent as a fisherman and has hunted a lot of fish in the past, spending many days at sea. I spoke with him a lot during our trip as the whole thing lasted almost 8 hours (so be ready for a (too) long trip home after you spot a whale). I would like to think that he has changed his outlook on fishing now and wants to look more at preservation as opposed to hunting/fishing. I must be completely honest though, I feel he may have made the jump from fisherman to whale watching host due to ever depleting fishing reserves and the fact that more money can be made through tourism and also more time with his family. I prefer to believe that he has done it due to preferring to conserve wildlife now over money $$$.

On the trip out we saw a school of dolphins which was very pleasant.

Then the other boats start congregating and it descends in to pure chaos!

From then on it around 18 boats total were in close pursuit of whales an anything that swam with a pulse! It was horrific! Gallons of diesel is dumped in to the ocean as all the boats blast off and scare the whale as best they can!

Dumina was passionate about other boats hounding the whales and insisted he has a more fair outlook on whale spotting and does not like this behaviour, but in the mean time he has to please his guests. Thankfully he was more reserved in his approach with the throttle and speed to the one whale we kept seeing, but it was still distressing.

He was telling me that holiday boats from around hear things on the radios and also just randomly follow whale spotting boats in the bid to blankly see something.

Some boats have as many as 100 people on board. Thankfully ours was limited to around 25.

The trip was very drawn out all in all, we left our hostel at 6am and returned to our accommodation at 3pm, so get ready for a snooze on the way back as once you spot a whale the crew are keen to get back (and their isn't a great deal to see at all on the way back).

We saw a turtle on the way back which was cool also and they provide you with some fruit and fruit juices also which is a great touch and greatly appreciated.

Having done the trip it left us in a very funny frame of mind, feeling guilty in playing a part in this animal cruelty! I'm not sure I would recommend as a result!

Lots more really needs to be done in Marissa to police this spotting, it's tragic! I'm not sure those involved are doing enough to be completely honest! I kind of feel they are just taking the money in the meantime and just complaining about others and their ethics (lack of).

Beware....

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank spudnit
Reviewed March 19, 2018

The boat owner and captain, Duminda is an experienced former local fisherman who is a great environmentalist and very knowledgeable about whales in the Mirissa area. He kept the boat a good distance from the whales and he had an excellent instinct for where the whales should be. We had several sightings of Blue Whales and also a Bryde's Whale mother and calf. During the trip we were served with welcome drinks and fresh fruit. Thoroughly recommended.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

Duminda and his crew were very professional. We had multiple sightings of blue whales, and unlike all the other boats, Duminda’s crew kept more of a distance from the animals whilst still allowing us to see them. Tri-shaws came to collect us from the hotel, so that made it easy. Small thing: Breakfast was offered to some passengers but not all. We noticed people who came before and after us, but aside from coffee/tea, I think we got skipped. Fresh fruit and juice offered to everyone later was a nice touch.

To those considering going, when the crew offers to take photos for you and you accept (it is really helpful when the boat is heaving), you really should leave a tip for them. There’s a tip jar as you exit the boat. Their efforts are worth the 500 rupees/$3.32 usd.

Date of experience: March 2018