“Our Best Holiday Ever!”

and 1 more site!
Petit St. Vincent Resort
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We first visited the private Island of Petit Saint Vincent in April 2010; at that time we had never seen such an unspoiled, naturally beautiful island, and we immediately fell in love with the place; the kindness of the staff and the charm of the cottages did the rest. When my husband, our two children and I returned this past Christmas following the refurbishment, however, we had our best holiday ever! It was perfect: the new beach bar and restaurant became the new beating heart of the island, integrates very smoothly into the landscape and provides a delicious menu with grilled lobster, crab backs, excellent Italian-style pizzas, and PSV’s classic cocktails at any hour of the day! Listening to the steel band, savoring a fabulous cocktail while looking at the sunset became a daily routine!
During the day, our children went sailing with the boathouse crew, snorkeled endless hours in search of a rare fish or shell, played tennis, painted watercolors, read, ran around with other guests’ children, participated in a scavenger hunt, and went body-boarding, to name just a few of their activities. They were happy as clams and the island is so safe that it was never a problem to let them do their own thing while we enjoyed our time off. The new spa was a great addition, and I had several excellent massages there! Our days would start with a nice morning walk through the beautiful gardens listening to the birds, which would lead us to the morning breakfast in the main restaurant, where Beckway, Rolland or another friendly, big, smile would welcome us and remember our preferences, the names of our children, and make sure I got my coffee right away! We would then head to the west end of the island where our family has its favorite hide away “private” beach and palapas for a swim, a lot of reading, and maybe a snooze. In the afternoons we would wind surf, go kayaking, play tennis or simply relax on the beach around our cottage. And every night the exceptional view of the stars…no light pollution there, the sky is yours! We had an exceptional day of sailing on the sailboat Beauty, with Captain Jeff taking us to Tobago Cays and where we snorkeled with Manta rays, Eagle spotted rays and marine turtles…it is unforgettable!

The refurbishment of the cottages has been done with taste and returning guests like us will appreciate the difference: a little air-conditioning when needed (but the big great fans are still there), new beds which are very comfortable, and the tap water even tastes excellent. PSV is one of the rare places in the world where you can actually enjoy a quality family time and live for once in the present moment, completely connected to nature and without a watch. We will go back again and again. Thank you to all the staff for contributing to making PSV so special!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank Marianne H
There are newer reviews for Petit St. Vincent Resort

Reviewed 13 January 2012

When you book a vacation on an exclusive island resort, it’s hard not to get carried away with fantasies of beauty, luxury and privacy. Throughout the Caribbean, resorts, hotels and other ventures know how to market their assets – they post the prettiest pictures, tap into our profound need for peace and quiet, and tell us it’s OK to indulge in pampering, decadent meals and personal service.

If you’re lucky, the actual vacation provides a reprieve from the grind of every day life, some quality time with your travel mates, and a few experiences interesting enough to share with the folks back home. This is all well and good. Probably worth the money and the effort. But if you want much more – without feeling like you’re working too hard to get more – try Petit St. Vincent. It does not disappoint in any way.

It’s such a cliché, but from the moment the boat pulls up to the island, you know you’re about to embark on something special. For us, the magical thing is that nothing about our PSV trip let us down. It just kept getting better and better.

The staff is incredible. I’ve never felt so cared for on vacation. Yet it was also extremely comfortable – they laugh and smile and you feel like you’re the best guest they’ve ever had the privilege to care for. You can see that they love PSV and take great pride in their work. They want you to love the island as much as they do.

The rooms are effortlessly perfect. The original owners were very wise with the placement and design of the cottages – they blend into the environment so nicely, and they’re quite private. The new owner has positively nailed the renovations. The space is contemporary, comfortable, and high quality, yet it has retained the spirit of a tropical island experience. And, well, the air conditioning is awfully nice! (and quiet!)

The food was fantastic. I have to say I’m confused by the mixed reviews on this topic. Our experience was first rate at every meal. We’re not foodies by any means, but I’m a bit hard to please in that I don’t eat any kind of sea food or fish. I had plenty of options at every meal, and I enjoyed everything I tried. Everything was fresh, and it felt like a lot of effort went into preparing interesting and varied menus. Furthermore, the staff and management are there to make you happy – if your meal is less than satisfactory, I’m sure they’ll bend over backwards to make it right. My favorite: anything grilled on the pit at the beach bar. So good.

We loved the beach bar. On one hand, it’s great because it has that ‘pull up a chair and hang out’ vibe that’s so nice when you’re kicking back on vacation. And on the other hand, it’s spacious enough that if you want to eat quietly with your spouse or family , you can take your own table away from the other guests. We mixed it up: we ate at the restaurant a few times, sat at a big table with a group of new friends at the beach bar, and pulled away for a quieter dinner at the beach bar with just the two of us.

When we visited in November 2011, they were putting the finishing touches on the spa. They offered to provide massages in the new tree-top treatment rooms, but they were up front about the possibility of construction noise related to the final spa built-out. We opted to have a couples massage in our cottage, and both the therapists were first class. My sister owns a spa, so I’ve got ridiculously high standard s for massages. The PSV spa services did not disappoint.

Even at a place where you’re doing ‘nothing,’ we managed to stay busy (that good kind of vacation busy). We loved exploring the island – beaches and jungle. In particular, I was in awe of the trees and shrubs. They’re mature and luscious, yet you can tell the owners have paid a lot attention to details such as managing the greenery in a way that showcases the landscape and buildings without being too sculpted or too jungle-like.

We had a fabulous time. PSV is the only place I’ve ever visited that was better in person than in its marketing materials/website. It far exceeded expectations – and we’ve been throughout the Caribbean to Grand Cayman, Puerto Rico, St. Martin and St. Thomas.

We loved our trip so much that we’ve decided to share this special place with our three children. We’ve booked a return visit for March 2012. We’re already planning the snorkeling trip with the sea turtles and sailing lessons. I think they’re as excited as we are!

5  Thank bbaut
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Everything about the island is captivating. Initially, I was enthralled with the idea of spending time on a private island where I could take a break from the craziness of our lives and enjoy some Rest and Relaxation. As soon as we arrived - the island welcomed us with this feeling of excitement and adventure and pure bliss. We were greeted at the dock with a cocktail and taken to our cottage which was lovely and private. We literally had our own private beach.

After one day of sun, swimming, rest, and delicious food, I felt as though I had been there a week. My soul was revived and I felt GREAT. We spent the rest of the week sailing, hiking, going to the spa and eating fantastic food. I loved the beach bar!

This is a wonderful place to reconnect and think your own thoughts. It is relaxing and really special. We went to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary and we cannot wait to go back and bring our daughter! The whole week we kept saying ("she would love this place").

Enjoy!

Room Tip: They are all special and unique.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cyndi F
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We stayed for one week and even got married there. A quiet and dreamlike venue. Our bungalow was comfortable and rustic elegant. We enjoyed fresh meals including lobster and fish. The service was impeccable, the new owners very hospitable and welcoming. The scenery in the Grenadines is gorgeous, the water clear and warm. What more can you ask for!?

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Zianne
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I agree with everything the other reviewers said regarding the upgrade to the cottages. It is nothing short of remarkable and the new owners should be complemented on more or less saving the facility.
On the other hand, the reviewers must not care about food or peacefulness as much as I do. One must remember that when your guests are captive on a beautiful island you have a responsibility to make sure the food is as memorable as the locale.
While some of the meals were fantastic, by and large the food was not properly prepared and it was uncreative. For example the market vegetables associated with our dinners for six days running were broccoli, green beans and carrots. We also saw the same vegetables at breakfast in the fish stew. Clearly, the beach bar was an effort to attract boaters to the island and it shows. The beach bar is only open for lunch and the menu, while nice, is limited. This is not a problem if you are having lunch there once or twice, but if you are there for two weeks you will be having lunch 14 times and the menu becomes repetitive. The food at the beach bar was well prepared and we enjoyed the food there. However it required leaving the beach for an hour and a half or more in the middle of the day. You cannot get food from the beach bar using room service.
The lunch buffet at the old restaurant, which made for a wonderful, quick lunch, is gone. If you want to eat at the old restaurant or order room service for lunch, the menu is extremely limited to sandwiches, burgers and fries (frozen) tomato soup and the like. Last year when we were here for two weeks, we didn’t eat one sandwich, nor spend more than an hour walking to/from lunch and eating. It seemed to us that once they had us there, they didn’t seem interested in the food they were serving us, since our food was included in our fee. On the other hand, the beach restaurant was trying to get people to pay for a meal off the “street” (boaters) so that they were more interested in making sure that they were serving quality food there. It was a terrible decision to make every day. Do we want to have a good lunch and give up a few hours of beach time or get quick, boring food from room service?
Dinners were a mess. It’s like playing roulette. While some of the dinners were good (keeping in mind the vegetable issues} at times the dinners were just horrible. My partner ordered fried shrimp one evening and the shrimp were perfect. Then the chef put them in a sauce, which made them soggy and paired them with four steamed, plain broccoli florets arranged around a lump of plain steamed rice. It was impossible to guess what might be good from day to day, so if you ordered the wrong thing you lost at roulette. (Sometimes the spectacular food was on the same plate as the awful food.) Often there would be no starch served with the entrée. In the main the fish was over cooked. I could really go on and on about the food, but the main thing you should know is that the food is a significant downgrade from the past. Last year, we raved about how wonderful the food was and couldn’t wait to see the dinner menu. This year we raved about how awful it was.
The wine list is limited and expensive. Drinks are priced on par with a hotel in the US, which is fine if you are spending $200-300 an night for a room. When you are paying $900-1400 a night however, and are captive, it seems to us that this is borderline price gouging. (Speaking of price gouging, free laundry is gone and replaced with the most expensive laundry service I have ever seen this side of the Ritz Carlton. $10 for a pair of pants.)
The staff is stellar as always and made our stay so enjoyable, even as we were complaining about the food to each other. They are really a remarkable group. They make you feel like you are the most important person on earth. We did not have one negative encounter with any of them.
Finally, the construction continued throughout our stay, primarily related to building the owners house. There was also significant heavy construction on the west end. It was very difficult to take walks around the island, because it was so torn up and the sound of bulldozers, beeping trucks and such really detracted from the peacefulness. For those of you that have been to PSV before you should know that a significant amount of the foliage there is being removed. Some may think this is an improvement, others may not. I just think you should know that the wild, natural feeling is changing to a more sanitized version of paradise. We started to say they were Disneyfying the place.
In summary, even though we were returning guests it is unlikely we will be going back. We felt somewhat exploited in that it seemed as though once they had our money, they were no longer concerned about making sure that the food was good, that the drinks were reasonable and that we had a nice peaceful stay, free of noise, busyness and inconveniences from construction.
Maybe we are just too fussy but at this price point I believe we are entitled to be a little fussy. I really want PSV to succeed. It is a wonderful place. The original owners had such a vision for the place. I was hesitant about writing this review but I am a long time user of trip advisor and I rely on the honesty of my fellow reviewers. I believe I owe it to my fellow travelers to be honest as well.
Apropos of nothing we walked all over the island when we were there and neither saw, heard or smelled a chicken. Coming from a rural area it is hard not to see 200 chickens. BTW the chef is Swiss not Belgian. Just FYI.

Room Tip: They are all unique and all good.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
75  Thank cltizen
Eugen B, Communications Director at Petit St. Vincent Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Thank you for your return visit to Petit St. Vincent and we are glad you found the cottages, staff, service and the island overall improved. We are committed to our guests' comfort and are striving to ensure everyone's experience on the island is nothing short of excellent. Your feedback prompted some changes that we trust would address the main concerns you raised:

1. we expanded the beach restaurant menu to be available for room service anywhere on the island;
2. the owner's house construction is completely finished;
3. there is an ongoing landscaping and planting program that does not interfere in any way with guests' experience and will increase the amount of trees and flowers on the island.

Reviewed 2 December 2011

I've visited PSV twice. My first visit, in 2009, when the island was under different management and prior to the substantial renovations completed in 2011, was good but it wasn't truly 5-star then. My second visit, with my wife in November 2011, with PSV under new management and after a well-done refit, was just about perfect.

When I visited in 2009, I had two complaints. First, the rooms were a little run down and in need of air conditioning. This issue has been fully addressed, and then some. Noiseless a/c units have been added to each room, and each room has undergone substantial renovation including new doors, furniture, floors, fixtures, showers, etc. The rooms are simple, tasteful and comfortable.

Second, during my first visit the food was sub-par and definitely not in keeping with a high-end resort. This issue has also been rectified (new chef and better quality control). Every meal we ate during our most recent visit was truly excellent. A few creative dishes - I remember a duck spring roll and an escargot ravioli in particular - were mouth-watering.

There are some other notable and welcome additions since my first visit. My favorite is the beach bar/restaurant, which is completely new (although it has a lived-in feel) and extremely well done. The bar is the kind of place where you can enjoy the company of a large lively crowd - something about it is conducive to conversation - but you can also very easily slip off to a more quiet area nearby. The beach restaurant has a great menu, great views and is a relaxing setting for lunch.

I also noticed, throughout the hotel, a higher level of customer service vs. my earlier visit.

They also built a nice spa (you can also do an in-room massage) and a new gift shop with a larger selection of items.

The island itself is idyllic. It's big enough to give a sense of adventure and offer plenty of privacy when you want it. Exploring the island is fun - you can climb its large hill or walk the perimeter on the beautiful beaches which must cover 75% of the coastline, where you'll see giant collections of conch shells washing up on the beach, beautiful vistas of the sea and neighboring islands, jagged cliffs with waves breaking on them. They've sprinkled little huts here and there on the beach where you can privately and very quietly read a book or take a nap.

The whole island is like what they're trying to sell in one of those Corona beer commercials. Fun, relaxed, peaceful, one-of-a-kind, first class. Can't wait to go back.

13  Thank Charles S
Reviewed 6 November 2011

As owners of a vacation rental property in the Virgin Islands, my wife and I were somewhat expecting a similar experience to what we offer our guests - great views, natural beauty and reasonable amenities (for the Caribbean).
One must understand, typically 5 star accommodations in the Caribbean are more like 4 stars elsewhere. The improvements on PSV, made by the new owner, voids that expectation. This experience was 5 star plus.
Once we booked our stay and gave the PSV Florida office our itinerary to Barbados, they made the arrangements for the short plane and launch ride to complete the trip. We were pleasantly surprised upon deplaning in Barbados, to be warmly greeted by a PSV staff member who was holding up a sign with our names. She escorted us through customs and then to the waiting plane.
Fifty minutes after take off, we landed in Union Island, where PSV representatives greeted us, fetched our luggage, then drove us in a "stretch" golf cart about 5 minutes to a 40 plus foot PSV launch. More PSV staff met us on the dock, this time with drinks and hors d'oeuvre. Aboard the boat, we enjoyed the sunset and started to relax as we made our way 30 minutes, or so to the PSV main dock.
As the boat pulled up to the dock, a welcoming party greeted us, handed us frozen drinks, gathered our luggage and pick us up in these cool little restored cars called "mini-mokes". We were then given a quick tour and driven to our individual cottages. When you book, you have a choice of being directly on the beachfront or high on a hill overlooking the sea. Both have advantages. Better sight-lines from high on the hill or being steps from a private beach from the beach-front cottages. Since our property in St Thomas is high on a cliff overlooking the sea, we chose to be directly on the beach in cottage 15. The cottages have stone walls (built from stone found on island), vaulted ceilings, separate Living/Dining/Bedroom areas. Sheets were high thread count and towels were large and thick. We also had an outdoor dining area, teak chaise lounge chairs, thatched umbrella and hammock next to the sea. There is no tv, but the cottages have Bose sound systems (iPod ready) as well as fridges. There is a flag system outside to summon staff for anything you want from room service to a ride to the beach bar or raise the red flag for total privacy.
Guests can have total privacy and not ever see another guest by having all meals delivered to their cottage or eat at the main restaurant or beach bar.
With the food being "all inclusive", we were thinking we would be served meals somewhat better than what we would receive on a high end cruise ship. That was not the case. PSV has a new Belgian chef, formerly executive chef from Cotton House on Mustique. His food is unbelievable! From the fresh fruit salad and eggs Benedict, I had for breakfast, to the various, interesting ways I had lobster and locally caught snapper and mahi-mahi- I didn't have a single mediocre meal. Most vegetables are grown on island. The eggs are hatched on island from the 200 chickens raised there. The bars are well stocked, in addition to a huge selection of wines and champagne from their wine cellar.
One interesting difference, I noted, between locals here compared to locals in other parts of the Caribbean is their friendliness. Even as we were transported on Union Island from the airport to the launch, locals smiled and waved as we were whisked by. The PSV staff (about 60 of whom housed on-island) were also genuinely friendly. The smiles and greetings were not "forced" or what I call "Disney Smiles".
You can choose to do nothing there but read a good book, or participate in many activities from snorkeling right in front of your cottage, taking a boat to a neighboring island to swim with the sea turtles, hiking, to sailing on the island's Hobie Cats or using their ocean kayaks...
I would really recommend swimming with the turtles.
You might choose to enjoy treatments from the new spa that has just been finished in a Bali theme complete with staff from Bali.
I can't say enough good things about our stay, other than- We will return!

Room Tip: Note- there is not a pool, but I could not figure out how to delete a rating of it from above-Choose...
18  Thank carib1
10.2 km away
The Mermaid Beach Hotel
The Mermaid Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hillsborough

Been to Petit St. Vincent Resort? Share your experiences!