“Don't believe the bad reviews here!”

Petit St. Vincent Resort
Reviewed 28 June 2005

I almost did not go to PSV for my honeymoon because of some of the reviews here. Thankfully I listened to my (now) husband and off we went.

We had no problems at the airport in Barbados - we sailed through with the representative there to greet us. We took a small plane (which island hopped a bit) which brought us to Union island, where we were immediately met and put on a boat to PSV.

Our cottage was wonderful. Nice view of the sea, very comfortable etc. We did NOT get bitten by any mossies while on the Island - and I must say that they love me (as was proven when we went back to Barbados).

Some people on this site complain a lot about the food. I thought it was good and had choice. The fish/shellfish is always excellent. People also complain about the portions - being european, we thought they were huge - for the Americans, unfortunately PSV does not have a "supersize me" option.

Also I've seen complaints about the tardiness of the service. Again, this seems to be predominantly a US problem, where people are more used to fast food. In Europe, 20+ minutes between courses is normal.

Regarding the theft someone on this site reported - tragic - but who leaves their diamonds in the open air? All the cottages are unlockable, so we put our valuables in the safe at reception. You don't need diamond earrings at PSV.

People here also complain about mixed up room service orders. We ordered most meals in our room or on the beach and everything came just as ordered.

Also I've seen some complaints about the staff. These are usually made by people who mention the "good" staff by name. Honestly, I couldn't remember the name of one staff member. I tend to go on holidays to relax and enjoy my partners company - not to make friends. I think that this is at the root of some problems appearing on this site - i.e. that some guests at PSV want to make friends with the "locals" - the only locals are the staff, and by and large they don't want to make friends with Katie-Lee from Chattanooga. Anyway, I thought the staff were fine, I had no complaints and I did not come home with any phone numbers.

Regarding activities - it was clear to me before I went that there was no TV etc. I did not expect activites or constant entertainment - I got that from my new husband!

Go, enjoy! It's the perfect place to escape.

• Stayed: April 2005
39  Thank lawchick
There are newer reviews for Petit St. Vincent Resort

A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed 25 June 2005

PSV is truly a one of a kind escape. My husband and I flew direct to Barbados from NYC (we were even bumped up to first class on BWIA) where upon we were helped by the airport staff, who immediately recognized our PSV luguage tags (use these, they are not just for show). We had been told that we were not going to make the 12:30 flight to Union Island and would have to wait until 4:30 (it was meant to be at 1:30). But the staff did everything to help us make the 12:30, and we did. The flight to Union is, in and of itself, worth the price of admission. You get a great bird's eye view of the Grenadines.

We were greeted by Maurice who took care of our bags and refreshed us with bottled water. Once we reached PSV we were welcomed by Lynn Richardson (Haze's wife) with drinks and swept away to lunch. I back up many of the other reviews here by saying that this is truly a place of beauty. The decor (which has been updated) perfectly suits the natural flow of the island by using local woods and blue--- stones. This also reflects Haze Richardson's wise decision to do the least amount of manipulating to the island itself. The beaches, both Caribbean and Atlantic, also remain unruined by the human hand. It almost feels as if it is a luxury eco-resort. True beach lovers will look beyond the rocks/coral (they ARE sand beaches btw), slip on their aquasox, and soak in the laughably-easily accessable reefs and pure undisturbed water. There is great snorkeling on the Atlantic side, as well as off of the small sandbar that is refered to as Petit St. Richardson.

We are huge foodies and did not come to PSV to explore the food, but so enjoyed the fresh and local seafood, fruits, and veggies. The lamb was wonderful and the lobster and shrimp (although often overcooked) was some of the sweetest we've had. As for sizing of portions less is more. Americans may expect bigger plates, but I'm sure that the guests of other nationalities find the amount just fine. The flags worked wonderfully for us, quicker than some horrible roomservice that we've had elsewhere. Most of our requests were met, and if not, the next best thing was substitued. We did encounter mosquitoes, a hazard of being on any tropical island. Ok, no there are no tv's and phones. And sometimes you run into people who don't feel like chatting. But if you are climbing the walls from boredom and lack of compatriots, then you came to the wrong place. Otherwise, thank you're lucky stars (which you really can b/c the views of the sky at night are breathtaking) that you can finally finish that book you've been reading and that you neeeevvvver have to hear a phone ring!

Two huge recommendations are visiting the Tabago Cays by motor or sail boat. Great reefs and turtle watching. And making a point to get a massage or a private yoga lesson with Lisa, the marvelous body worker there. Hopefully you won't be disappointed!

We have noticed that many people have commented on the on again, off again warmth of the staff here. We would like to point out that when you travel to PSV you are in a different country with a very different culture than your own. Although there is no language barrier (even though we had our fair share of asking people to repeat themselves b/c of heavy accents- and this went both ways), that does not mean that one should expect the same kind of reactions that one might receive at resorts in the US or other parts of the Caribbean. Keeping this in mind, the catch phrase that we most often heard was "no problem". It took us uptight New Yorkers a couple of days to figure out that this is the basic premise that this beautiful resort is based upon. When we got to know some of the staff they were the most sincere people with a keen sense of humor, and clear sense of thankfulness. It is also a remarkable thing to be witness to the community and mini-economy that Haze Richardson has built up to support the staff and their families. As one of our soft-spoken waiters, Bequia, pointed out to us, the Grenadines have 40% unemployment. You would never know it from the 2:1 ratio of staff to guests at PSV.

Go to PSV to give yourself the gift of peace, quiet, and beauty.

• Stayed: June 2005
25  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 May 2005

We just returned from our third visit to PSV(2001,2002) and will return for our 4th!!!! Since 2002, there have been many upgrades...a West End Beach House, new Beach Lounge Chairs, New Patio Furniture, Upgraded Wodd Counter Tops in the bathroom's, Headboards with reading lights added to each bed, new lighting, etc..... The resort survived hurricane IVAN quite well and the beach on the Atlantic side is now wider and the unsightly erosion has been replaced with some very well placed stone walls. They blend right in and are made up from the island volcanic rock. The food and service was outstanding!!!! You can't find in room service like you have at PSV at any other resort in the caribbean. Before you book with PSV, you need to understand that this resort is for R&R as there is no nightlife, no phone, no TV......what a fabulous way to get reaquainted with the one you love!!!

Martha, we'll be back!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2005
19  Thank Caribbee
Reviewed 15 May 2005

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon and it was everything and more that we expected. Getting to the island itself was an adventure in itself but to be expected in order to get to paradise.

We were concerned with the fact that there was no television in the rooms (or main house as we found out once we arrived) but once we were there, we did not miss it. The stay at PSV made us closer, as we had to talk and take part in activities together.

To be completely cut-off from the real world was refreshing.

Every morning we were up at sunrise, since there were no alarm clocks. Coffe was ready for us when we finished dressing for the day and we always took a morning walk. When we returned breakfast was ready for us.

Each day was spent on the west side of the island laying in hamocks or in beach chairs. Heaven.

Every evening, we took part in the cocktail hours in which we met up with other guests and got to find out what they did that day and what they found while exploring the island. The greatest treat was to meet new guests as they had the latest news about what was going on in the world and back at home.

The food was delicious and the choices were unbelievable- breakfast, lunch and dinner. To get the best selection of food- go to the main house to eat.

The only drawback we had was the beach- tons of rocks. But nonetheless I got my wife in the water (albeit on my back). Once out the water was warm and clear as any I have seen in the Caribbean. On ou stay we did not have any problems with bugs.

The staff were pleasant and would do whatever requested. One night my wife and I met another honeymoon couple our age and we stayed up until 2:00 in the morning and the bartender stayed up with us- dooling out the drinks as we passed the time talking of our wedding, smoking cigars, and playing cards.

Our overall conclusion- We can't wait to go back, and try the Mango Daquiries (the best I have ever had- to this day).

• Stayed: April 2004
13  Thank hobgoblin77
Reviewed 1 May 2005

This was absolute HEAVEN. We stayed in complete seclusion in a hillside cottage (#5) –Hillside is MUCH more private than beachside. You get total privacy, an amazing view, and the beach was only a one-minute walk down the path. The sunrise from our deck was amazing. We slept with the doors and windows open and it was a perfect breeze. It was quiet and relaxing with nothing but the sounds of waves and wind blowing.

For some reason, bugs love to bite me no matter where I am, but I didn’t have any problems with that here!! Maybe it was the time of year we went. PSV does provide bug spray and coils in the room, but we never once had to use anything. They also provided 2 beach totes so no need to bring your own unless you want.

Staff was extremely friendly and very accommodating – the flag system is easy. It does take some patience, but you are on vacation to relax so just go with the flow if things don’t happen as quickly as you would like.

Because we wanted this to be all about us, we opted to have room service for breakfast, lunch on the beach, and room service again at dinner. We are picky eaters, but the food was great and a good variety (eggs benedict, omelets, french toast, etc for breakfast; grilled ham and cheese, lobster rolls, etc for lunch; and fish, chicken, lobster etc. for dinner). Remember you are on a small remote island so you can’t really expect 5 star, but we were extremely satisfied. Dessert was incredible too especially the nutmeg ice cream! We do recommend bringing in some liquor from Barbados since drinks are not included. They provide all the ice you need, as well as mixers. We did, but it still didn’t stop us from getting Pina Colada’s every day!

We especially loved the secluded beach huts on West End Beach with a hammock, 2 lounge chairs, and a small table and chairs. We rarely ever saw anyone else. Snorkeling was incredible here, but also great off every beach we were on.

Getting there from Dallas was long but the charter flight to Union Island was actually very smooth and it was great to take pictures from the air! The boat ride to PSV was quick and when greeted with a Pina Colada and then driven directly from the docks to our cottage, we fell right into total relaxation.

We have been to every island you can imagine, but this is by far our favorite. This is not for people wanting a major nightlife atmosphere. Is it perfect? No. But what resort ever truly is? This is for those who want a truly romantic, beach castaway vacation with gorgeous turquoise water, and I wouldn’t recommend anything else.

• Stayed: April 2005
29  Thank txproducer
Reviewed 25 March 2005

Thought I'd drop a quick line on PSV while looking over reviews for the Caribbean for a trip. We were at PSV for eight days last June. Perfection. A wonderful place, wonderful food, very nice help, very nice food, great snorkeling, wonderful beaches. If you want a feel for an authentic Caribbean island, like St. Martin, Jamaica, etc., don't go to PSV. But if you want a wonderful, first class, tropical get away (from everything) this place is great. How anyone could rate PSV less than a five is beyond me. If you wanted night life, it's not PSV's fault, it's yours. The place is a five.

• Stayed: June 2004
10  Thank StarSoul
Reviewed 28 November 2004

PSV is a beautiful island and we had a great time but there were some areas that fell short of what you'd expect from a leading hotel of the world.
Before arriving we received luggage tags and a confirmation letter that told us we'd be met at the Barbados airport by a representative who would take us through customs and arrange our connecting flights to Union Island. There was no representative and the airport is a little chaotic - one small desk with two (sometimes three) people to deal with all travellers wishing to make connecting flights. We finally made it through customs and confirmed our flights but it wasn't the easy, welcoming arrival we'd expected from the letter. A PSV rep at the airport would have been a nice touch.
Once we reached PSV, Lynn, the owner, personally greeted everyone and welcomed us with pina coladas. Our cottage #14 was great - right on the beach - we found out later it was one of the smaller ones but it was still quite spacious and we loved it.
There was a beach barbecue on our first night. We went to the beach bar for a drink first and had to wait a bit for service even though the only other customer was the owner Haze and a couple of his companions. He didn't greet us or even acknowledge us though we were standing a few feet away at the same bar and at one point he said quite loudly, 'Yes, I made a lot of money on that deal.' Not especially pleasant.
Dinner on the beach was great - fresh, delicious food and wonderful service from Roland and Andrew (he drove us there).
Overall negatives on our stay: rocky, rocky beaches everywhere - not what you might expect from the pictures. Bring beach shoes or buy/borrow some from the resort - they are essential.
Mosquitoes everywhere - we were eaten alive even though I used bug repellent.
The flag system - quite charming but at times we wondered if it was to make things easier on the resort than to make our stay more private. Frustrating not to be able to call room service back after they've dropped off your lunch and mixed up the order or left a thermos of breakfast coffee that's broken and won't open.
The lunches are very small and not very good. The only beach/room service lunch options are smallish sandwiches with a few pieces of carrots or cabbage as a 'salad.' Afternoon tea was coffee or tea served with a plate of six store-bought cookies (no sandwiches, cakes, fresh items) - not what you'd expect at these rates.
There was a younger woman, Sarah (?) who was somehow involved in running the hotel. When we were in the office settling our not-insignificant bill the day of our departure, she didn't say hello, how was your stay, thanks for choosing PSV, etc..
Our few encounters with Haze (beware of flying scotch) left us with the impression that we should thank him for letting us stay on island.
The positives: wonderful staff!!!! Hazron, Michael and Bert the bartenders were amazing, our waiter Bequia was very kind, Andrew did just about everything, housekeeping (arthurlynn, kirl and janet) were lovely.
The setting is beautiful - day or night - we saw two shooting stars.
The dinners were delicious - great fresh ingredients (the lamb is superb), presentation and a small but tempting selection of entrees.
PSV was very relaxing, romantic and idyllic. There are some glitches but our overall impression was pretty positive.

26  Thank wooster
10.2 km away
The Mermaid Beach Hotel
The Mermaid Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hillsborough

Been to Petit St. Vincent Resort? Share your experiences!