“Unique view”
Review of Hani Terrace

Hani Terrace
Reviewed 14 October 2014

You will not see so many rice terraces in other places in the world. Views on the morning and in the evening were different. So you should hire a car with a driver.

1  Thank rosaHongKong_China

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Make sure the rice terrasses have water in them, contact Jacky first to make sure, otherwise the picures will just look dull and without any special effects.

1  Thank BelgiumAndre
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I went to Kunming just to see Yuanyang. It really turned out to be a bit of a letdown. I was there for 3 days. Still, it's not 'nuf to catch that brilliant image that you see on the screen. In other words, I was not so lucky. Anyhow, while the rice terraces are good, they are just not, IMHO, I thought they'd be. Perhaps I'd have to really leave roadside, hike around, spend a lot more time, in order to find the beauty of the place. Now, I was there in the fall (now), perhaps out of the prime colorful season? But, the kicker is that I observed abandonment. Agriculture is not what it used to be. The younger generation of farms are unwilling to follow a farm life. So, the fathers no longer have the kids to hold on to. As a result, we saw abandoned terraces. Sad..... They're trying to get UNESCO recognition. We observed hard-working tile layers paving some parts of the roads. But, I'd say it's far from earning the UNESCO badge. They'd have to invest a lot more to earn that designation. We stayed at the only somewhat full-service hotel there. They've been renovating, so it'd OK/good for Chinese standards. Their 4-star is no more than a 3-star over here in the States. In fact, I'd say they're no better than a Holiday Inn Express. In the end, is it worthy of a visit. Yes, if you've never been there. But, comparatively, I'd say it's JUST OK. Sorry for being harsh in my self-indulgent way. I'm planning to see other terraces in China. Will have more comparative statements perhaps later.

1  Thank fijinz-all
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Our company tour was four-days. 2nd and 3rd days were assigned to see the terrace. On and return travel time was 5H each. Most of all our guys said the landscape there was nice but not enough to spend total 10H travel. Actually I agree one and the other may have different opinion to the view of the place even though myself were impressed. I see someone feel so boling view here. The time was correct, each terrace had water whose reflection of sunshine generate more beautiful scene than the periods of not having water. What I can say is actually more than half of my tour party did not think it had value to come here spending several days. They thought Yunnan province has more approrpiate places to visit than here. I disagree this idea, but i was minority. Our tour included 19 Chinese and 3 Japanese.

2  Thank Zhubaba
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Yuanyang Rice Terraces are a Hani ethnic minority’s masterpiece of ingenuity. In unique shapes and sizes with more than thousand years of history and 1000 and 2000 metres above sea level, they are a mosiac of colourful and breathtaking landscape of natural beauty. A UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage site, the 3 Must-See scenic areas are Duoyishu at sunrise, Bada in the day and Laohuzui (the Tiger Mouth) at sunset. For a vintage point of the magnificent view of shimmering gold, silver, black, brown and green, a 2-hour lead time and a camera tripod are important!

4  Thank Kathleenlim