“It depends on when you visit”

Honghe Hani Rice Terraces
Reviewed November 11, 2014

Getting here from Kunming is not easy and should be undertaken when the conditions are optimal for the experience to be generally worth the time and trouble. I was there last week and most of the terraced fields had water, which made them quite photogenic.

I've been here before, in January, and they are very pretty then as well, but the weather is cold. This time it was much more pleasant.

If you don't have your own car, you need a local driver to take you around to the various view points. Some are better for sunrise, such as Duoyishu 多衣树, and others are better for sunset, such as Bada 坝达 and Laohuzui 老虎嘴.

When you pay your 100 Yuan admission fee on first entering the area, they will give you a good local map.

Important to realize that Yuanyang 元阳 is not just one single place. It's a region that is somewhat spread out along part of a mountain range. Need to allow a couple nights here so you can adapt to its peacefulness and get the feel of the place.

Also important to know that you might not get perfect viewing weather. Many of these spots are above the clouds and they can obscure the view if the winds are not right. So don't cut it too close. Allow time for driving around.

The terraced fields are not the only attraction. If you come on a weekend, you can attend a Sunday morning market in one of the villages. People come down from the remote hamlets to buy and sell, and it gets quite colorful because of the variety of minority costumes.

10  Thank ZhongguoKM

Reviewed October 14, 2014

You will not see so many rice terraces in other places in the world. Views on the morning and in the evening were different. So you should hire a car with a driver.

1  Thank rosaHongKong_China
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Make sure the rice terrasses have water in them, contact Jacky first to make sure, otherwise the picures will just look dull and without any special effects.

1  Thank BelgiumAndre
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I went to Kunming just to see Yuanyang. It really turned out to be a bit of a letdown. I was there for 3 days. Still, it's not 'nuf to catch that brilliant image that you see on the screen. In other words, I was not so lucky. Anyhow, while the rice terraces are good, they are just not, IMHO, I thought they'd be. Perhaps I'd have to really leave roadside, hike around, spend a lot more time, in order to find the beauty of the place. Now, I was there in the fall (now), perhaps out of the prime colorful season? But, the kicker is that I observed abandonment. Agriculture is not what it used to be. The younger generation of farms are unwilling to follow a farm life. So, the fathers no longer have the kids to hold on to. As a result, we saw abandoned terraces. Sad..... They're trying to get UNESCO recognition. We observed hard-working tile layers paving some parts of the roads. But, I'd say it's far from earning the UNESCO badge. They'd have to invest a lot more to earn that designation. We stayed at the only somewhat full-service hotel there. They've been renovating, so it'd OK/good for Chinese standards. Their 4-star is no more than a 3-star over here in the States. In fact, I'd say they're no better than a Holiday Inn Express. In the end, is it worthy of a visit. Yes, if you've never been there. But, comparatively, I'd say it's JUST OK. Sorry for being harsh in my self-indulgent way. I'm planning to see other terraces in China. Will have more comparative statements perhaps later.

1  Thank fijinz-all
See more reviews
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Our company tour was four-days. 2nd and 3rd days were assigned to see the terrace. On and return travel time was 5H each. Most of all our guys said the landscape there was nice but not enough to spend total 10H travel. Actually I agree one and the other may have different opinion to the view of the place even though myself were impressed. I see someone feel so boling view here. The time was correct, each terrace had water whose reflection of sunshine generate more beautiful scene than the periods of not having water. What I can say is actually more than half of my tour party did not think it had value to come here spending several days. They thought Yunnan province has more approrpiate places to visit than here. I disagree this idea, but i was minority. Our tour included 19 Chinese and 3 Japanese.

2  Thank Zhubaba