“Purist approach to Sushi with freshest fish and friendlier than Jiro...”
Review of Sushisho

Sushisho
Ranked #4 of 434 Restaurants in Yotsuya
Price range: C$9 - C$26
Neighbourhood: Shinjuku / Nakano / Suginami
Neighbourhood: Shinjuku / Nakano / Suginami
Reviewed June 5, 2016

Chef Nakazawa has departed (to USA) but the food continues to impress. One of the toughest reservations in the city and very Japanese (apparently they turned down the Michelin Stars). Fish as fresh as Jiro or any others. Reminder that Lunchtime is purely Sushibowl. Pricing for dinner in the $200 range and lunch so reasonable at $20. Good luck and enjoy!

Date of visit: June 2016
3  Thank LHOVancouver

Reviewed June 3, 2016 via mobile

had lunch there. I would call their chirashi fine & delicate, an upmarket bowl of rice & raw seafood with wonderful layers of egg, balanced nicely.

their soup had clams and a special kind of seaweed, which tasted like the sea in a beautiful way.

definitely one of my favourites

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed January 10, 2016

Who would say no to Michelin ? I thought it would be one of a very good achievements to indicate how well a restaurant perform, in fact, there were a few chefs that said NO to michelin, one of them, was CHEF KEIJI NAKAZAWA. Since I was told he is going to go to Hawaii for good from 2016 onwards, I decide to go to visit this place while I still can, with a bit of luck, I manage to secure the booking via my hostel, they served set menu during lunch hours and omakase for dinner, I could only manage to squeeze in for their lunch on the last day of my trip.

I was there a bit early, lucky enough they let me sit in, they have got the set menu ready so you don’t have to choose, pickle will be served straight away after a hot tea.

It was indeed a very decent chirashi don, they have a huge variety of toppings , shellfish, uni, salmon roe, meguro, hamachi,octopus, cucumber ebi, tamago and abalone etc, although you may think it doesn’t sound to attractive as it seemed like a mixed of everything, well, if you witness how the chef prepared for it , you will definitely change your mind. The chef put everything in the bowl one by one (in category), even for the wasabi he made it into a few mini wasabi balls and distribute it on top of the toppings, no need to add any soy sauce, all we need to do is to eat it and enjoy it.

This was a topping overload chirashi don, the rice were in perfect texture with just an optimum amount of vinegar fav, I just can’t tell you how good I felt after eating this.

The soup is really good too, with heaps of seaweed and some little clams!

I wish I will be able to try out their Omakase there, unfortunately I didn’t place my reservation early enough for this , my next visit will be in May so probably chef Keiji will be in Hawaii enjoying the sunlight by that time, still I would love to come over sometime !

If you are planning to come, a few things to note if you need to make a reservation:

- They only accept reservation through hotel unless you are a local
- Leave your contact number or hotel info to them
- Re-confirm a few days before your appointment
- Be there on time, they will cancel your reservation if you are late
- Only 30 minutes has been allocated for your reservation (Lunch)
- Please ask if you would like to snap your food, and you are only allowed to snap your food
- Be quiet and respect other guests in the restaurant.
- They close on Sunday

Date of visit: December 2015
3  Thank CK C
Reviewed May 31, 2015

Not that easy to find but absolutely worth the effort. Had dinner here and were only tourists which added to the authentic feel.

I must admit each course/dish seemed to be better than the one before and the aged tuna was simply fantastic.

Very small restaurant so you need to book well in advance.

Date of visit: May 2015
3  Thank embeejay
Reviewed February 10, 2015

I have been to lots and lots of sushi-ya's over the years and hands down, this place has become the best sushi meal I have ever had. Its a small restaurant with 10 seats at the bar. Its had become very hard to get a reservation here, but we were able to get our concierge to make a ressie for 3 for 6pm. 30+ pieces and 2.5 hours later, I have nothing but fond memories of the different sushi offerings. The highlight is a 10-day aged tuna. Never had this in the states, and not sure if anyone is really doing this. But the taste and texture is so unlike any piece of tuna I have ever tasted. Heard the chef is closing and moving to Hawaii so try to grab a seat and enjoy a meal of a lifetime. price was about 26,000 yen/person after all said and done.

Date of visit: January 2015