All reviews enjoyed my stay chiyoda train bath station budget sharing
Reviewed June 27, 2016

The Chiyoda Inn was a nice combination of Japanese aesthetic and modern facilities. It's very close to a train station, although a little tricky to find because it's tucked away in a little side street. The front desk was clearly very used to dealing with foreign tourists, almost to the point that it felt a little hostel-like. (I think what I mean is that there were lots of signs that felt a little "well, duh" to me, in the way that often happens when you get a lot of short-term travelers.) The room was nice, very simply furnished with traditional, Japanese style beds (read: mats). The room comes with a little tea pot and green tea, and besides the bed there was a small desk and some lovely robes to borrow. The bathrooms and showers are shared for the floor, but seemed very clean. I liked it, but would almost prefer to go all-in Japanese style or not even bother and just do a normal hotel. Still, on the whole, it was a nice place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank BrooklynGretel
Reviewed January 7, 2016

We stayed at Chiyoda Inn one week from Dec. 21st to Dec. 28th 2015, before continuing our trip towards Kyoto and Hiroshima.
It's a lovely guest-house with all the comforts you need. We liked it so much that we decided to book for our last two nights in Tokyo as well. The staff is very helpful and can speak English quite well (except for one girl that was covering some shifts, she seemed to only speak Japanese, but we still managed to understand each other pretty well). Everything is tidy and clean as expected. The whole atmosphere is quite relaxing and peaceful, we especially appreciated the cleanness in the bathrooms and shower rooms.
There is a small kitchenette at the ground floor where you can help yourself with coffee or tea. There is also a small bath area, which can be used upon reservation at a fee of 300 yen (if I remember correctly); we wanted to try it but eventually had not time to do so

We stayed in a Japanese-style standard double room, which comprises two futon beds (I would say the size is a super-single, at least I found it comfortable enough), clean robe ("yukata"), towels, a small basin and a little table. A small hair dryer and an electric kettle are available. Mind you, the rooms are tiny, especially compared to Western standards, but we came fully prepared and were not disappointed about that. There is barely room for two medium-sized luggages and no wardrobe, so my recommendation is to travel light (this goes for basically anywhere in Japan!). On the second leg of our stay we were on the opposite side of the corridor, the room was the same type as the one described, maybe slightly bigger, but you could hear the noise of train passing-by often (honestly, we weren't bothered at all by it). I guess it depends on your sensitivity and level of tiredness at night!
Position: Excellent. Chiyoda is just a couple of minutes walk away from Minami Senju station, which serves both JR and subway lines. The fact that the area is not typically tourist-y and central was a plus for us, we loved to come back to a quite, more intimate Tokyo. Plus, you are still pretty close to central areas (10/15 minutes of train away from Ueno).

To sum up, I defintely recommend staying at Chiyoda Inn. If we ever go back to Tokyo (which we intend to do), we'll definitely stop by again.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bagiana85
Reviewed January 2, 2015

The first time I stayed was in 2012 when it was new (was open in 2011, I suppose). Second stay was this time in Dec, 2014. Good quality maintened but of course as time goes by, can't help aging which is normal. Keeping up with good standard in the hospitality and cleaniness of the inn. Good to meet other travellers in the common area and to chat with the Shimpei san (his friends and family came to help with the New Year deco the other day when I was in the inn) which is very nice, you have a feel of them preparing for the festive season.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Quack H
太田信平, 支配人 at Chiyoda Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2015

Thank you for your staying again. We were really glad to see you. We are welcoming anytime.Hopefully to see you again in your next trip to Tokyo!

Reviewed October 19, 2014

I really wanted to like this place. I really did. There are so many great reviews here. I feel almost bad for writing an average review.

The location is awesome. It's a very short walk to the metro station. There's no shortage of western (burger king, denny's) and local restaurants close by.

The staff is friendly and speaks proficient English. The traditional bath is really nice and very reasonable at 300yen per hour. They fill the bath for you, so it's ready at your allotted time.

There's coin laundry and dryer. Sweet. They can even sell you laundry detergent.

The futons were ready for us when we arrived. The small room is also equipped with a mini fridge, a desk/chair, and a wash basin. All good.

What made this place "average" for me are the cockroaches. The first night there, I saw a cockroach on the ceiling. 10 minutes later, I saw that same cockroach running towards my 2-year-old daughter. My daughter was sitting on the tatami. The cockroach ran under the legs. I tried not to freak out. I push my daughter out of the way, grabbed a magazine and hit the roach a few times until it died. Cockroaches are gross, dirty, and creepy. This wasn't some tiny baby cockroach. It was at least 2 inches long.

The next night, as I was walking towards the washroom, I saw another cockroach scurry across the floor, into another guest room. I just prayed it won't come into our room.

Now, granted, maybe cockroaches are very common in Tokyo in October. I don't know that, and I really don't care to know. All I worried about the whole time staying there was cockroaches crawling over us. That really put a damper on things.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Angela_in_Vancouver
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Nice place to stay and very near to Jr Minami-senju station.I really appreciate all staff at Chiyoda Inn, service mind and very kind of them. I stay here two periods. I leave my luggage here and when I'm back, my luggage is already in the room. Supermarket is near the hotel.
I'll be back for sure. ;)

• Stayed: July 2014