“An Alternative Take On An Iconic Destination”
Review of Asakusa Shrine

Asakusa Shrine
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Asakusa
Reviewed July 15, 2018

I'll preface this review by stating that this is an alternative, of sorts, to the majority of reviews you'll read on this part of town. I'm not a big fan of temples and shrines in general. I don't find them to be either spiritually enlightening or all that interesting. You've seen one, you've seen 'em all imo. That being said, I'm not immune to the allures of well-known tourist destinations which is why I ended up going to Asakusa and the shrine area. When in Tokyo...

I think my biggest issue with this area is the fact that it's just swamped with tourists. I realize the irony of being a tourist myself and then complaining about my fellow overseas travelers. The problem arises when you realize that everything in the immediate area is catering to the tourist, giving the whole scene a real "theme park" vibe. Prices are overblown and the general wares up for sale are pretty generic and are of poor quality. The locals see you coming a mile away, if you get my drift. That's what happens when a spot blows up and becomes a "must see" destination. I really think you can get better quality goods and snacks by exploring the less congested side streets.

If you don't mind bumping into people constantly and getting overcharged for cheap goods, then by all means pay the area a visit. I get that this is a must-see destination for many travelers. Sure, taking photos of the iconic Kaminarimon will make for more complete visit and sure looks sharp on your camera roll. Keep in mind however that there will be non-stop people stopping in front of it, holding up their best V for victory pose and photo-bombing every shot you take. Just par for the course. When all is said and done, you can at least say, "hey, I was there," but for me, once was most certainly enough.

Date of experience: March 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)
All reviews
"complex"
in 19 reviews
"coins"

Reviewed July 10, 2018

I had the honour to spent a few hours in the afternoon in Asakusa during my first time in Tokyo, a must-see place.
It is for me the very hearth of Tokyo, so reach of cultural and spiritual feelings.
My Japanese friends recommended me the visit and I'm grateful to them forever.

There is a long way to the Shrine, it's full of shops with the best of the Japanese souvenirs, a lot of people around and nice Japanese girls in their gorgeous kimonos.
I found everything attractive and in order, you cannot drink walking, but only close to the shops, so it's not for simple tourist walk.
I finally reached the Senso-Ji Temple after having burnt incense sticks together with other people there sharing my same magnificent experience.
Entered in the Temple, I was speechless, admiring people praying in silence and feeling an overall spirit of peace.

I came back to Europe with so charming souvenirs from Asakusa: a beautiful Japanese doll, the Japanese lucky cats, and hand-painted and crafted chop-sticks.

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed June 25, 2018

Kawagoe has several shrines and temples with in an old town area, theres a lot to see and many places to eat. Nice walking area but it gets crowded, like all places in Japan. Go early. People can be pushy and rude, but just do your thing and enjoy it!

Date of experience: June 2018
1  Thank Frank B
Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

Asakusa Shrine is a must check in place for your first visit in Tokyo. Full of Japanese traditional environment and crowed people. The most attractive area is the red giant light in-front of the temple.

You can find many local street snack from Nakamise Dori, the long shopping street to Sensoji-temple, especially Japanese dessert (such as Mochi, varieties of soft cream and Melon ban), buy just only one piece to taste ‘coz most of its are super sweet, or you can try Japanese main dish in restaurant around there. Here are many souvenir shop too.

Date of experience: June 2018