“Lucky to have such a bakery serving light bites and coffee etc”
Review of The Loaf

The Loaf
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Crich
Price range: US$3 - US$22
Cuisines: Deli, British, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a busy and vibrant artisan bakery, delicatessen and café in Crich and now also in Matlock, Derbyshire.We sell a wide range of specialist bakery products, home made café food and deli-style groceries. We make bread, cakes, pizzas, pies, quiches, salads, hot and cold snacks, soups and a whole load more deliciously irresistible, top-quality goodies. Most of what we serve is made from scratch and contains no additives or preservatives.
Reviewed November 19, 2016

Fabulous selection of bread and cakes . Made a coffee and walnut cake on request so I could take some home for my daughter . Love the Crich squares. My son said the sweet chilli sausage rolls were amazing. I had the quiche of the day and salad, really tasty and delicious.

Date of visit: November 2016
Andrew A, Owner at The Loaf, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2016

Really glad you enjoyed your food and that we were able to bake the cake for you. We will always try our best to make cakes for people on request.

Reviewed November 15, 2016

I don't normally give full marks to any review as it stops complacency.
However I must say the prawn salad sandwich I recently had was the best and good value sandwich I have ever had.
The place was spotless and the service excellent.
Well done

Date of visit: October 2016

Thanks for your kind words...most appreciated.

Reviewed November 12, 2016

4 of us went for lunch .We have been going for years. We ordered and waited, 3 other tables who arrived after us were enjoying their food & drinks whilst we were still waiting......and waiting....
3 meals were fine - very nice. However the chefs salad at £6.95 ? Was very poor value and did not include the ingredients specified on the board - no tomatoes and 4 tiny bits of salmon. When we mentioned our disappointment when paying, we were told the chef had gone on holiday......poor excuse.....No apology.......very disappointed

Date of visit: November 2016

I am very sorry you had such a disappointing visit on this occasion. When we are busy, we do our very best to take table orders in turn and serve food from the kitchen in the order in which people place their orders. Sometimes food which is quicker to cook or prepare will come out of the kitchen before more complex orders with dishes with a longer cooking time.
I am not sure why your chef's salad wasn't as specified and apologise that you didn't feel it was good value. We try very hard to make all our dishes generous and as we make everything from scratch and from fresh ingredients, we feel our pricing reflects this fairly.
It isn't acceptable to be given the excuse that the main chef is on holiday, and I will speak to the members of staff concerned. Our other kitchen staff are also well trained and have been delivering an excellent level of food quality and service while our chef is away...as you can see from other reviews on the site.
I really hope that this experience won't put you off coming back and that perhaps, if your next visit is as enjoyable as previous visits have been, you will be moved to give us a more favourable, balancing review.

Reviewed October 29, 2016

We had friends over for the day ,we decided to go over towards Crich ,call here for a late breakfast and then go on towards Matlock. When we arrived the cafe was quite full ,but we found a table ,morning papers on the table (if you wanted to read them) ordered 4 breakfasts, and coffee. The breakfast were ok but we did find the sausage underdone,and the back bacon ,which I think was dry cured also a little underdone
We did mention this before we left ,may be next time we will ask for the breakfast to be a little more cooked. Apart from this minor rant ,I think we would revisit ! with this visit mind ,and after asking for the food to cooked more we could join the five star reviews

Date of visit: October 2016

What a shame you didn't know that we will cook your breakfast to your specification. It is amazing how different people's tastes are so we are always delighted to lightly cook, well cook, turn over, cremate, soft boil etc etc!
Hopefully when you next visit and we produce a bespoke breakfast for you, we will get those five stars you promise!

Reviewed October 29, 2016 via mobile

Spotted The Loaf's bread being served somewhere so thought would check it out while visiting the area. So glad we did.

It was brunch-o'clock and was busy so we opted for takeaway breakfast rolls. But then a table became free and we were able to sit in to eat. We both had really delicious sausages in home made rolls.

We also bought an Eccles cake and a Crich square which we've just polished off: I'd say it's the best Eccles I've had (and I've had a few!) and my husband loved the Crich square.

Really warm, welcoming atmosphere and super-friendly staff.

Loads of tempting breads and baked goods. We'll be back! Maybe even tomorrow :)

Date of visit: October 2016

Thanks for the kind review and for raving about the eccles cakes. Steve will be pleased!