“GREAT STAY, GREAT FOOD”

Ranked #3 of 5 Deddington B&B and Inns
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“GREAT STAY, GREAT FOOD”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4nights 12th september 4 of us were working nearby.When we arrived at 4.30 we were greeted by a friendly landlady called saskia who showed us to our rooms and made us feel welcome .The rooms were very clean and tidy. The food in the restaurant in the hotel at night was outstanding as was the breakfast which we had at 7am in the morning.We were told we could have packed lunch if we wanted to go to work before 7 which we thought was nice.All the staff that work their are very polite and dressed smartly which showed they took their position seriously.we enjoyed our time their and would not hesitate to book again

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
JohnKnights, Owner at Unicorn Inn, responded to this review, 9 October 2011
Thank you for you excellent review. It is gratifying to also get reviews from business people who are often too busy to take the time. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed at the Unicorn Inn for 4 nights and had a lovely stay. Everyone was really friendly, helpful and polite and made us feel really welcome. Nothing was too much trouble, even when we had to continually ask for our baby food and milk to be stored in the fridge and then taken back out! Our room was really clean and comfortable with a lovely view out to the market place and church. We had a great breakfast every morning to set us up for the day and ate and drank in the pub a lot - the food was excellent and kids can have a half portion of everything off the menu which is much better than the usual 'kids' choices you get. We will definitely go back - it was a lovely atmosphere and we really enjoyed our time with Saskia and her team!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
JohnKnights, Manager at Unicorn Inn, responded to this review, 11 September 2011
Thank you so much for the feedback and kind words. We are so pleased you have pointed out our attitude towards meals for children - and it is a real pleasure when they are well behaved like yours.
We hope the problems of the last few weeks with the booking system and chef being ill are behind us.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I booked rooms at the The Unicorn Hotel in Deddington in June 2011, but the hotel double-booked me, and then dumped my booking and left me to sort out the problem.
So, despite booking two rooms for myself and my brother more than two weeks ahead, and receiving online confirmation of my booking, The Unicorn called me the day before our stay and told me that there had been a double booking, that I was the loser. They gave me two other local contacts to phone to try and arrange two rooms myself.

It was a busy weekend in the area around The Unicorn, and I had no luck. I even discovered that The Unicorn had themselves phoned ahead to one of these contacts to book a room for someone else that they had also double booked that weekend.

After being passed around all the B&Bs nearby by people trying to be helpful, I gave up and called Late Rooms Customer Service, who managed to find two rooms for us somewhere else, further away. At least we had the accommodation we needed, but it was at a higher cost.

Initially both Late Rooms and The Unicorn blamed each other for the double booking. I didn’t care whose fault it was – I just knew that the whole situation had caused me a lot of problems, when I had booked in good faith and had my booking confirmed.

Eventually, The Unicorn called me full of apologies and said they would refund the difference in the accommodation costs (£20), and promised a cheque. This has never arrived. I’ve chased them. Late Rooms has chased them. Nothing.

The moral? I know £20 is not much to get upset about. But the hassle and grief I had trying to organize two rooms at very short notice, for an important event when I had a mountain of other stuff to organize was a REAL PAIN.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank D_Maidstone
JohnKnights, Owner at Unicorn Inn, responded to this review, 11 September 2011
We are terribly sorry of the inconveneince to this customer
This is all about the problems we have had with our booking system which is now resolved. We acknowledge we were partly to blame for this - but not totally.
It is true we offered to pay the £20 but were advised by Laterooms that the client had accepted the apology and that they recommended we did not make any payment. If the customer would like to contact us again we will certainly honour our promise.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I was really disappointed with my stay at the Unicorn Inn.

Despite being informed breakfast would be included in the (expensive) price, none was served - I popped down three times but everything was locked up, then on my last try when I finally managed to catch the landlady, I was told I had missed the sitting, and that we couldn’t have breakfast as they were preparing for Sunday lunch. We eventually managed to get some toast, albeit very grudgingly. The good ratings for food was one of the reasons we booked our stay there. If there were any problems with the food service, we should have been told this on our checking-in.

Another problem was the lack of availability of staff - in the morning no one was around until very late in the morning. They also failed to give one of our party a key to the front door, so they had to call us to get let in the middle of the night. My room was surprisingly shabby given the price.

Plus points - the pub downstairs is really nice. Definitely worth popping in for a pint if you are in the area. And they were very nice about letting me use their landline to call for a taxi, and letting me borrow an iron. But overall I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
We don't recognise all the complaints of this customer. The couple who did not have a key to their room left without it and came back very late. However, we knew that they were with other people who had taken their key.
As explained in another review of the same weekend, we now have full instructions about breakfast timings in the room and apologise for any inconvenience.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We were really looking forward to staying at the unicorn inn but unfortunately the B&B didn't live up to the website. Having booked a double room, we were disappointed to arrive to find it had been put in their system as a single. It did get sorted out but only by chance as another guest had cancelled at the last minute.
No-one had informed us of the timings for breakfast and when going down at 9.30am were told it was not available and were given little alternative options. We were eventually (and begrudgingly) offered a basic continental breakfast but were made to feel at though we were an inconvenience (they were too busy getting ready for sunday lunch service?). This was very disappointing as we were very much looking forward to a hot english breakfast. Another guest had attempted to obtain breakfast at 8.30 am to no avail. After some more questioning we were told hot breakfast was only on from 9-9.30 which in itself is quite ridiculous. The rooms were ok but a little shabby.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
We are very sorry for the inconvenience but originally the customer had asked for 1 double and 2 singles and we were only able to offer 2 doubles and one single. However on the day we had someone else ask to convert their single to a double so we took the chance to change one of this customer's doubles to a single to save them money - but when they arrived there were two people for that room. We were sufferng from our booking system at this time too we just did our best to sort out the problems.
Unfortunately this customer left the Unicorn soon after checking in before we had a chance to discuss breakfast times and came back very late.
To ensure this does not happen again we are now providing full written details of breakfast time in the rooms.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Stayed 2 nights Aug 17 &18. Very friendly & helpful hostess & staff. Ate in restaurant on both nights, food was excellent as was breakfast.
Nice clean accommodation.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
JohnKnights, General Manager at Unicorn Inn, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Thank you for your kind words about your experience at the Unicvorn Inn. We look forward to welcoming you back.
stratford-upon-avon
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Clearly there is a problem with their booking system and late rooms. We were let down badly, at the last minute - tho to be fair Saskia did try her hardest to sort it out. Nevertheless, the stress really ruined our holiday and I would hate anyone else to go through what we did!.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank claire g
We have had a period where we have had real problems with our booking system. Not really sure why but it seems to be have been sorted out now. We suspect in this particular case that someone noted the booking without taking the details but I stand responsible and in this situation did all I could - but am truly sorry. Thank you for the feedback and hopefully you will give us another try - book directly with me.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deddington
0.1 km away
8.4 km away
Easington House
Easington House
#9 of 10 in Banbury

Been to Unicorn Inn? Share your experiences!