“Great vistas” 4 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
More Info
US$998.99*
and up
7-Day National Parks Tour: Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley and Grand Canyon...
More attraction details
Owner description: This area of Canyonlands has a few hiking trails and views of beautiful canyons.
Reading, Pennsylvania
255 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 257 helpful votes
“Great vistas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

I made sure to visit Canyonlands early in the morning, well-hydrated, to try and beat the July sun. I didn't plan on much hiking; I mostly stopped and enjoyed the views from various overlooks. I definitely recommend going all the way to Grand View point; I caught a really great ranger program about the geology of the area there.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank TravelsWithRuby

• Polish first
San Diego
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Camped at Willow Flats”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

A primitive (no running water) but with overhead shelters, fire rings, clean pit toilets. 2 days is enough. An easy hike is Murphy's point. The best sunset views at the Green River Overlook, which is a short hike from the Willow Flats campground. I went there 2 nights in a row to get sunset pictures. The best sunrise is a Mesa Arch but too many people for photography. We climbed up Upheavel Dome to look inside (a collapsed salt dome vs. meteor hit), that was a little unpleasant as it was quite warm. We used at least half a day to drive over to Arches.

Visited August 2011
Clover, SC
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Nice to see once, depending on your outdoor taste.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

I love the outdoors and this is a great place to visit, although i'm more of a forest and mountain stream kind of girl. This is the desert, no trees or greenery, just scrubby bushes. Although the canyons are beautiful. My only complaint with Island in the Sky visitor's center was i had my 6 lb dog with me and he was walking around the parking lot area with me on his leash and the park ranger freaked out thinking that he was going to pee or poop on the dirt area, yes the dirt area, not the parking lot. My dog was simply sniffing around but this guy just flipped out. He rushed out of his truck and in a loud voice said pets were only allowed to relieve themselves on the pavement. Like you could kill anything else there, everything is already dead. I'm all for conservation but geez. I couldn't help but think about the free range cattle sign that was a mile from the office; so where do they relieve themselves? And what about the desert animals? Where do they go? Anyway, i just think the guy overreacted a bit. That message could have been conveyed in a nicer manner. Anyway, aside from that incident it was a nice place to visit if you like desert and canyons and you go pet-free. Oh and FYI, there are no "real" bathroom facilities here, just the port-a-jons that have the hole to the ground, so take your nose plugs.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Shannon20100
Chicago,IL
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Planning made the trip worthwhile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

It can be exhausting when planning a trip but it does make the most of your time. We drove from Torrey, UT to Moab. Rather than go directly to Moab we spent a full afternoon in Island in the Sky with a stop at Dead Horse Point State Park for the sunset. The Island in the Sky Visitor Center is 32 miles from Moab so we're glad we didn't drive to Moab & then make a return trip. Unfortunately we didn't have time to take advantage of the hiking trails. Like many we drove to the awesome Grand View Point Overlook.

Visited October 2011
3 Thank Timetogo55
LI NY
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Great park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

The park has some arches in it. Its not far from Arches Nat'l park.It has some nice hikes,moderate.The veiws are awesome. If your not steady on your feet some could be tough.Dead horse state park is close also worth going too

Visited April 2011