“large room”

Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We had a large "dune view" room that was very comfortable and clean. Was everything we needed. All accommodations in the park are overpriced, but you get the convenience of being in the park and Death Valley is a very large park. I was glad we stayed in rather than going in and out of the park. The staff was friendly and I discovered WiFi as we were leaving! But didn't get a chance to try it out. I would stay here again. The food at the saloon and restaurant was great!

1  Thank vwkar
There are newer reviews for Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel

995 - 1,001 of 1,793 reviews

Reviewed 19 March 2012

They have satellite internet service here with a daily limit on data usage. After the limit is reached, speed drops to a point where it is useless. Service resets (perhaps at Midnight) and is good early in the morning. By mid-afternoon it is questionable. Do your work early, and be a good neighbor by not downloading pictures and video! Tip: no security here, so if you are passing by in the morning, it is a good chance to check your email for free.

Rooms are nice, pool is nice. Food service in the bar in the evening (not busy at all) was crazy slow. This is an excellent location from which to explore all areas of the park. WE HAD NO CELLULAR SERVICE ON AT&T OR VERIZON. (Verizon is virtually inaccessible in the Park. AT&T is much better, solid at Furnace Creek and strangely accessible at Teakettle Junction at the north end of the Racetrack.)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank UncleCharlie
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This is quite a bit cheaper to stay in than the Ranch at Furnace Creek and it is true to a certain extent that you get what you pay for. Having said that, I preferred the lower cost and the more relaxed atmosphere of Stovepipe Wells. The rooms were smaller and ours didn't have a fridge, but there was a coffee maker. The beds were comfortable, and the rooms were clean. I think that the person who took care of our room was in a bit of a hurry, because making the bed on our second and third morning consisted of just pulling up the top cover and leaving the creased bottom sheet as we had left it!

The pool was refreshing - heated to about 74 degrees, a bit too chilly for me, but plenty of others enjoyed it. There were plenty of sun loungers around the pool and a good choice of sun or shade.

The restaurant and the bar served the same food and we thought that for the price it was decent., In fact, we had better meals there than at Furnace Creek in the 49er. The guy who served the drinks in the bar in the Badwater Saloon was particularly friendly and made good margaritas

Gas was also cheaper than at Furnace Creek by nearly $1 a gallon - I wish we'd known that before we filled up at Furnace Creek!!

The location was good for watching sunrises, sunsets and for the close proximity to the Mesquite Sandunes and also to Mosaic Canyon.

The General Stores sold a pretty basic range of food for packed lunches, If you were staying in one of the RV;s or camping I'm not sure that there would have been enough food for you to buy there - it would probably have been better to stock up on food at Furnace Creek or from outside the park.

I'd definately stay there rather than at Furnace Creek when we return for our next visit.

5  Thank gelandpat
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The price is reasonable. The people at the registration office very friendly and helpful. My room was not "deluxe" which meant no TV. Why people touring Death Valley National Park would want TV is not clear to me, I certainly didn't miss it. Rather pleasant to have access to a light pollution-less night sky. The room was very comfortable. Typical of motels of the 80's. There was a single cup coffee maker with plenty of high quality coffee and condiments. Dispensers in the shower for gel, shampoo and conditioner. Similar dispensers at the sink for soap and lotion..
Free wifi though the reception is spotty. Advise from the staff - go online in the morning. As the air heats up and the day wears on, the reception deteriorates. The lounge has two computers that are networked so you can get a faster connection - still the signal cuts out at different intervals. The lounge is open 24/7. Free coffee available. Filtered and bottled water is provided in the room. NPS campground is across the highway.
My GPS would not recognize the name or location. It is on US 190 so hard to miss. If it's important to have an exact location, a note to the staff will probably get you coordinates to put into your GPS.
Reservations are a must. while I was checking in, several people stopped trying to find a room. I made my connection through the Death Valley National Park web site.
Reservations require the payment of one night's stay. If you're planning on only one night, think of it as a pre-paid stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank roadrun50
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Death Valley is a fantastic destination for hikers and outdoor lovers. Stovepipe Wells is a decent base camp for your activities. Less crowded than Furnace Creek, but perhaps not as convenient either. The motel rooms are all overpriced in the park, but there is no local economy to support the businesses either. Without this place, you would have to drive an hour and a half each way everyday. I'd rather spend my time inside the park than inside a car. I will say that the staff at Stovepipe Wells Village is much improved over my last visit 9 years ago; they were very helpful and friendly. There was good, free coffee in a visitors lounge, a heated and large swimming pool and I loved the cocktail tables and chairs outside in the courtyard setting. Bring your own groceries and a cooler. Fill up the tank and buy your groceries in Pahrump or Beatty before you arrive and you'll save a lot of money to offset the high price of the mediocre rooms. Gas at Stovepipe was $5.05, and considerably higher at Furnace creek when prices were $3.55 in Pahrump. You will pay a minimum of $15 for each meal at the restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms that parallel the highway will hear traffic, but there is not a lot of traffic at night. They...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank JulieCirlin
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Stovepipe Wells last week - Accommodation-wise: $130 + tax will get you a room that is small but clean with a comfortable bed, a small en suite bathroom (tiny bath) and paper-thin walls (you could easily join in a conversation going on in the next room!) - which I found quite expensive. The Reception staff are friendly (but more on what I would call the 'low-key' rather than 'gushy' side, ie you ask your question, you get your answer - end of, and no chit-chat, which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Food-wise: the restaurant is nicely decorated - in line with the location - we found that the dinner menu was rather limited and some of the portions a bit on the small side. The quality of the food was average and the prices fairly high. The buffet breakfast was OK but again rather priced on the high side at $12 + tax. The servers were all pretty OK - the only slightly odd event during one of our dinners was when we actually had to ask for the customary bread rolls that are served after you have placed your order: the staff member who eventually brought these just sidled up to our table and, without a word or a look, just chucked the basket on the table(!)... Gasoline: significantly more expensive - throughout the park in any event. Gift shop: usual tourist offerings. Communication: there are no phones in the rooms and we had no cell coverage at all. There are 2 computers for guest use in the common area but we were warned that we might have a bit of a job getting anywhere with the Internet: boy, were they right! Overall experience: average OK.

1  Thank homeandaway23
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I recently stayed here for two nights while hosting a photographic workshop. We had 5 rooms between my partner and I, plus our clients.

We arrived in the middle of a huge dust storm which didn't help. We opened the door to our room and there was a sand dune inside almost a big as the ones outside! Now - I don't blame the staff for this as there were 65+ Mph winds blowing and there was no way to clean it at this point. However, everything in the room was covered with dust and sand - I mean really covered. The beds were covered, the furniture, the bathroom, etc. This made for a rather "gritty" first night.

Our room was cleaned very well the next day and we chatted and joked with the housekeeping staff about the need for an industrial vacuum for a task they faced.

We ate in the restaurant on site and the food was generally good, although expensive for relatively small portion sizes. The second evening, we all ate in the bar and our waitress was having a bad night as the place was packed. But she recovered nicely after it calmed down a bit. One of our guest's meal was apparently forgotten so it took a bit of prodding to get him his ribs. The breakfast buffet was ok but not great. For $13.50 each, maybe I expected a bit more. On the last morning, we returned from taking dawn photos and tried to get seated in the restaurant at 9:45am. The buffet is advertised as available until 10am but we were turned away as they were already breaking down. Not the best dining experience overall...

Upon checkout, we were a bit miffed to find some complications. We had originally reserved 7 rooms but cancelled two a couple of weeks before, well within the rules of their policy. For some reason, the identical rooms for our guests had two different rates. Of course, the cancelled rooms were credited at the lowest rate and we were charged a higher rate for the remaining 4 single rooms. Also, for some reason, they did not charge us for the second night in our double room when we prepaid for everything so we ended up having to deduct that amount from the refund for the 2 cancellations (remember, now at the lower rate) that had never been credited back to our credit card in the first place.

As mentioned in the previous reviews, the WiFi is a nice addition but virtually unusable except in the middle of the night. (My iPad would get my E-Mail while I slept though - but I couldn't send my reply until the middle of the next night!)

Note - there is no cellular reception at the resort on either AT&T or Verizon. I can't speak for other services. You can get reception nearer Furnace Creek and at the junction of Hwy 190 and Scotty's Castle Road. Also, gasoline was almost $.60 a gallon cheaper here than in Furnace Creek so fill up here, not there! (regular was $5.07 on 3/8/12)

Anyway, Stovepipe Wells Village provides a oasis in the middle of the desert and you can expect an average experience there but I'm not sure about a great one!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
30.0 km away
The Ranch at Furnace Creek
The Ranch at Furnace Creek
#2 of 7 in Death Valley National Park

Been to Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel? Share your experiences!