The Inn at Death Valley(Death Valley National Park)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$309
Hotels.com
  • Pool
The Ranch at Death Valley(Death Valley National Park)
US$319
Motel 6
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$121
US$117
Amargosa Opera House and Hotel(Death Valley Junction)
Free cancellation until 28/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$85
  • Free Internet
Free cancellation until 29/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$25
All reviewsdarwin fallsbeer selectiontent cabinspizzarestaurant barfront porchfull hookupslong drivemilky wayrooms are basicexploring death valleynational parkballaratsolitudesignalwildernesscampsite
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We spent just one night at the Panamint last week - it sits on the edge of the park and, whichever way you choose to go, is reached via small, uphill, windy roads (on the way there, for the last good few miles, my husband's repeated utterance - to me - was "just keep your eyes on the road - don't look at the scenery - just keep your eyes on the road"; similarly, on the way out, my only comment - to my husband - was "just keep your eyes on the road - don't look at the scenery - just keep your eyes on the road!). We made it in one piece and received a friendly welcome from the attendant, who checked us in and instructed us to park in front of our room - I had to ask my husband to park the car for me - the space in front of each room is micro and parking our rental required quite a few skilled maneuvres!
Our room was small but comfortable, and plainly but nicely furnished, the en suite (shower only) very dated but clean and with very "musical" pipes! Price-wise: $71 + tax (Queen bed), which I thought was reasonable.
The on-site restaurant is very "functional" and had a limited menu and hugely inflated prices (I actually took my glasses off to re-examine the figures!) - the food was very average. Service was friendly - no complaints there.
Overall, a pleasant experience - and we would book the Panamint again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank homeandaway23
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Basic rooms that hadn't been properly cleaned in ages, next to no water power in the shower, thin walls; but it had beds, hot water and electricity - so definitely an upgrade from camping. Staff was nice enough. Veggie pizza was quite good at the restaurant; wouldn't recommend anything else there. Location was a good jumping off point for exploring Death Valley, though you are at the edge of Death Valley, so if you're going to be exploring in the valley for more than just a day, you will save gas by staying at Furnace Creek - more central and avoids the 5000 foot descent and re-ascent day after day.

Room Tip: One of their rooms has 3 beds - which can be nice if you're traveling with a group. If you're thinking of camping here, beware that the tent area is basically just a parking lot across from the motel (you're not really 'in nature').
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Brad W
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I could not decide what this motel would be like from reading the other reviews so decided to find out myself. It was built in the 30's, and so when you park in the tiny space outside the rooms alloted for cars made 80 years ago, it can be a bit difficult and as you walk the few steps into the room––no stairs or concrete walkways––you enter the small room with dusty footprints.

It's at the edge of the park and it does feel as though you have entered another realm.

Joseph, the man in the filling station/convenience store where we checked in, was full of suggestions for hiking/viewing experiences and quite pleasant, and so was the owner, or one of them, we encountered having dinner outside on the patio where we ate. We found the waiters to be very down-home, friendly folks. There's a great large tabby cat, Bob, who sprawled across a table. The food was edible; we found even vegetarian burgers. They have lots of different beers to choose from as well.

The room seemed clean, the bed was fine with us. The furniture was bare bones minimum, strictly functional. The vanity in the bathroom was wooden and all scratched and blistered on one side, but clean, and the glass blocks in the shower had rust or dirt on the medium holding them togehter and the screen on the window was a piece of screening stapled irregularly onto the frame. It didn't bother me that I couldn't access the internet––we
were in the desert, getting away from it all.

We did like the people who work here which helped a lot, even the fact that there is a nasal hum from the restaurant swamp cooler going all night, and though I would have preferred quiet, it was an innocuous white noise.We liked the feeling of stepping into the 1930's motel ambience, though we wish the prices would reflect that: the $94 plus tax should be reversed: $49 is more accurate. I recommend this for a first stop in the park and just for a night, unless you want to hike around all day and only sleep and have dinner here. The room wouldn't be a place to hang out in should there be a big dust storm precluding sight-seeing or hiking. This place is smaller and more authentic than the larger more generic-seeming large Stovepipe Wells place we drove past.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rosabluecat
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We have stayed here a few times on motorcycle trips, always found it clean and comfortable, good food, good beer and friendly people. Might be a bit more for gas and food but they are off the grid and in the middle of pretty much nowhere. This is an off the beaten path, quaint, quirky, old time feel kind of place, if you're looking for room service and pool side drinks then go to the Hilton someplace. We are able to park our bikes right out side the front door and talk to others sitting outside enjoying the adventure. Darwin Springs is just up the road and Death Valley is just over the hill. If you're in for adventure and people this is a great stop. Will stay again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheGreatBunndini
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Yes, it could do with updating. But it was perfect for our tour of the area and fitted our our imagined image of a motel on the edge of Death Valley perfectly.

Fuel is a bit expensive here, but they were kind enough to state that I might as well fill up in the park where it is cheaper. They were very helpful in terms of planning our itinery. The service was good and friendly. Dinner and breakfast were plain but as expected and no complaints.

View from the terrace was great and made the beer even more enjoyable. Choice of over 150 beers was the best I have seen anywhere and I come from an area of England surrounded by micro-breweries!

Room was probably the most basic of our tour but was fine for our needs and no issues over cleaniness.

Overall, a good experience. Helped by a committed team who run this place.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family