Maui "Loop" Road To Hana Audio Driving Tour

Book in advance
from
US$19.98
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Pipiwai Trail
from US$276.67
1,315 results
All reviews bamboo forest great hike banyan tree road to hana foot waterfall beautiful waterfall mosquito repellent moderate hike miles round trip hiking shoes mile hike easy hike slippery rocks elevation gain sacred pools bring lots of water worth the effort
Selected filters
Reviewed September 21, 2017

My son-in-law and I decided to take this hike while the rest of our family relaxed. We both love to photograph things so we had that in common. My caution to all is to be prepared for anything on this hike. Adam is in his 40's and hikes a LOT so this was nothing for him but I am in my 70's and it was a bit of a challenge. This is a rain forest area so everything is WET. Lots of mud and uneven ground and rocks, be prepared. That said the area is stunningly beautiful and varied. The elevation gain is listed at 800' but that does not account for all the up and down. Many, many steps made of uneven lava rock and boardwalks. One minute you are in coffee trees the next it is solid bamboo! Many views of waterfalls, pools and cataracts! Lots of wild flowers along the way. I suggest good shoes for hiking. I saw a lot of people in sandals and some were wishing they had better shoes on. Loved the hike.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank Jerry R
Reviewed September 14, 2017

The Pipiwai Trail is definitely worth the hike. The bamboo forest is amazing and you can get some awesome pictures. Bring your bug spray!

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank MissiLS
Reviewed September 14, 2017 via mobile

We took the advice of friends and our guidebook and spent the night at an airbnb in Hana. After watching the sunrise from a beach we headed straight out to this trail around 7 am. The road out here was a lot sketchier than we expected, we were glad we only rented an old Nissan! We were one of the first cars in the lot and one of the first groups on the trail. As a result we had the trail and the falls to ourselves the whole way and we really enjoyed it. The grade is pretty gentle compared to our usual stomping grounds in the Canadian Rockies and the tropical plants, banyan trees, pools, waterfalls and especially the bamboo forest really wowed us. It took us about 2 hours all told and while we did it in sandals we did wish for good running shoes. As people have mentioned, they have closed the base of the falls but we didn't really have any other expectations built up and honestly if someone has died there, I'm ok to enjoy from a distance! The trail started to get busy as we hit the last quarter so we were glad we had gone early. I am thinking if this was a stop on a there and back trip to Hana that maybe our experience might have been different but as our first activity in the morning we really really enjoyed this beautiful trail.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed September 7, 2017

We hiked early in the day. The trek through the bamboo forest was so beautiful, the paths are very well maintained and the waterfall was worth the hike. Beautiful. Spent the rest of the day on a secluded black sand beach right down the road.

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank val49erfan
Reviewed September 6, 2017

The hike took us a few hours round trip. When we went the trail was being renovated there was some construction which took us longer. The trail should be fixed now and is paved with wood planks making it really easy. There is a large Banyan Tree and bamboo forrest along the way. Once your there the view is amazing. Make sure you bring some wet weather clothes. If you want to see video of our experience check out my vlog on my YouTube channel or read my blog on my website. Links are in my TripAdvisor profile.

Date of experience: January 2017