“Awesome tent camping”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Joshua Tree National Park
Jumbo Rocks Campground
Orange, California, United States
“Awesome tent camping”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Jumbo Rocks offers some of the best camping in Joshua Tree. I love to set up camp and get some hiking in before the sun sets and the stars come out. Check out www.joshuatreecamping.org for more great info on Joshua Tree Camping!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Tyrel C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 24 December 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 2 day camping adventure in Joshua Tree National Park and this is FOR SURE the place to stay if you're tent camping in the park. The scenery is gorgeous and there are large rocks everyone to scramble on. Many areas are very easy to climb/walk up. This is truly a wonderful and unique place unlike any other. The sunrise and sunset views are unbelievable. HIGHLY recommend site #89 - it had everything you could want - plus it could easily fit the 3 tent max. We camped in December and the place was practically empty. FYI - no water, pit toilets. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Charlotte B
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I just got back from my weekend camping to trip to JTNP at Jumbo Rock campground and it was one of my favorite trips! First off I went to joshua tree because it was close to where I live only around 2 1/2 hours away from orange county and because its open all year round. I have never been to JTNP before so I did research and decided on jumbo rock, the giant round boulders that cover the landscape are absolutely beautiful and can only be describe as a Hollywood back drop for the Flintstones. We arrived around 1:00pm on Friday and I was a little surprised on how full it was, I would guess around 90% occupied only to be completely filled just a few hours later. We got a decent camp spot right next to the amphitheater which didn't provide much protection from the freezing cold wind that would hit us the first night. No water at the campground, so make sure you bring lots of water, bathroom is a hole in the ground but is surprisingly very clean. This being the desert I didn't expect it to be so beautiful, I will defiantly be returning very soon!

Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Enfinite5
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Tent camped here the 1st week of Nov. 2011. This year was really cold, Mid 30s at night and highs in the upper 50s in the day. We were told it was colder than normal. I only have one other trip to compare this to and in 2010 it was definately warmer on the same week, we wore shorts. Check the weather before coming. Our group was made up of 6 adults and 10 kids ranging in age from 1-7. All had a blast and enjoyed bouldering. Sand toys were a hit, there is a lot of gravel that the little ones enjoyed to sooping and dumping. We came prepared for the cold and sort of prepared for the rain, we had a leaky tent. We stayed Thursday to Sunday. On Saturday the kids enjoyed the rangers presentation on th Yucca Man, cheesy but totally worth it. Jumbo rocks is a bit more crowded & noisier than the place we stayed at last year White Tanks, but just as enjoyable. The smaller campgrounds in the park tend to be quieter, but that depends on the campers. At Jumbo Rocks there is a trail to Skull Rock, our two youngest were in back pack carriers and the rest ages 4-7 did the hike with out a problem. Bring pants for the kids, rock climbing is fun but tough on the legs. Just remember there are pit toilets that are very well maintained and no water. Each site has a table, grill, and fire pit. Bring the smores and have fun!

Room Tip: Check out the smaller camp grouds first, if not head to Jumbo Rocks
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Mamatita
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 June 2011

If you're going to Joshua Tree National Park, this is definitely the place to stay! The sites are surrounded by huge rocks that anyone (even clumsy people like me) can climb. We climbed the rocks to watch the sun set on both the nights we stayed there. It was a beautiful unique place I'll never forget.

Here are some tips:

- Go during the week to get your pick of good sites. When we arrived there on a Wednesday the campground was 75% empty. When we left Friday morning, the campground was filling up fast. You can't reserve the sites so it's first come, first serve.
- Pack lots of water. There is no drinking water in the campground and it's quite a drive to the nearest potable water source.
- The same goes for food and firewood. The nearest town to purchase groceries is a half an hour drive from the campground.
- The pit toilets were pretty gnarly, so if you're a high maintenance person... this is not the place for you.
- It gets really hot during the day and very cold at night. Pack accordingly. Try to pick a site with lots of trees and rocks to shade your tent during the day.
- There were a lot of pesky bees that were on the move once the sun came up. They didn't sting us, but they were all over our site. People with bee allergies should be careful.

Like a previous reviewer mentioned, there was a lot of trash around the campground. It was pretty sad and made me wonder if the campground turned into a drunken party zone campground during the weekend.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank hellohaven
Ventura, California
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I really enjoyed my two night stay here. The first night it got pretty windy but the second night was calm. The campsites are fairly small and close together but I found one (#54) with a good degree of privacy. The bathrooms were clean and well maintained.

My only complaint is the fact that there was a fair bit of trash around. I picked up about half a grocery bag full.

Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank GlobalTouristHawaii
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 April 2011

After living in California ALL my life, I thought it was time to backpack in Joshua Tree. INCREDIBLE!!! I'm a forest lovin girl, but the desert has an other-worldly type of feeling. Jumbo Rocks offers campsites nestled individually in the rocks. Most spots you cannot see or hear your neighbor. Each site is next to the road, but there is limited traffic and your car blocks access to your tent. The rock formations create "rooms" to setup a home away from home. We drove around to all the campgrounds and they are all very similar with HUGE goldish red rocks and camps hidden from site when you drive by. Bring your own firewood as it gets very cold at night. No water is available either. Excellent hiking and rock climbing for everyone!

Room Tip: Campsites go quickly on Friday morning. Go early.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RN4Lilones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Joshua Tree National Park
6.1 km away
Best Western Gardens Hotel at Joshua Tree National Park
Best Western Gardens Hotel at Jo...
#4 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
5.6 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynine Palms-Joshua Tree National Park
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynin...
#2 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
2.2 km away
Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - Joshua Tree National Park
Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - ...
#7 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
4.0 km away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Twentynine Palms- Joshua Tree
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Twe...
#6 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
2.3 km away
Campbell House
Campbell House
#1 of 12 in Twentynine Palms

Been to Jumbo Rocks Campground? Share your experiences!