Review Highlights
Spectacular!

Gorgeous hike! I couldn’t believe the colors on the mountainside. Note: if you are fortunate enough... read more

Reviewed September 21, 2018
Nettie2010
Saint Louis, Missouri
via mobile
Just Wow!

There simply are not enough words to describe the views along this hike. It truly is a visual feast... read more

Reviewed September 3, 2018
EpicGuy12
Queen Creek, Arizona

All reviews lake ann counter clockwise rainy lake stunning views fall colors hiking boots parking lot take your time gorgeous hike north cascades mountain peaks out of the way wild flowers surrounding mountains knees counterclockwise ascent
Reviewed August 12, 2016

An energetic hike, but worth it! We started counterclockwise, and made it to above Heather Lake and Meadows. As it was a very hot day, we decided to go back the way we came, the distance via Maple Pass was the same.

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank simivalley1699
Reviewed August 5, 2016

Absolutely breathtaking hike with expansive views of the glacier clad cascade range at the top. The ascent from the Rainy Lake side was spectacular, the timing was great with an abundance of wildflowers, great view of the falls into Rainy Lake and of the lake and Ann lake as well. Bring water, trail shoes or hiking boots essential. Not suitable for those with impaired balance or mobility. Took me 3.5 hours to do the 7 mile loop at a leisurely pace.

Date of experience: August 2016
4  Thank Christine L
Reviewed July 31, 2016 via mobile

Yes it is indeed gorgeous. The views looking down at Lake Ann should make you stop more than once as you make your way up the mountain. Frankly the hike to Lake Ann was meh to me. Muddy and I'm short so I couldn't see the lake from the ground. Too much water under the driftwood and way too many black flies to want to hang around anyway. The colors of the lake don't come into full color until you are above it with the sun shining anyway. But we did hike to the lake first and then started the long climb up to Maple Pass. I had not read any reviews prior to hiking but we always carry layers and I even had my wool hat/gloves/winter coat. A lot of the trail I was very hot and sweating when I was exposed to full on sun. Hiking on big rocks that retain the heat doesn't help! When we got about 30 minutes from the top we met a forestry worker who engaged us in conversation. In learning it was our first time hiking she advised we only go up to the "border sign" as the views are essentially the same as all the way up top. Conditions were still snowy to that point and even worse beyond. When we climbed up through the snow we realized going any further made zero sense as we did not have clamp ons for our boots, so we did as she suggested and came back down the same way. Beautiful up there but the black flies were still biting so we were unable to sit and eat our lunch. From that point our round trip was 5.5 hours.

I saw many people hiking in sandals on a trail that was muddy, very rocky, tree roots and snow. Why someone would risk their toes to this I'm not sure! I also saw so many people hiking without a hat or even water! People please no matter how experienced you are do not do an expected 8 mile hike without a hat or water.

This trail in July had a large tree limb you had to climb over. Being short I had to sit on it to get over. There were a few more easy over limbs and a go under.

But this hike gives you everything you expect in a great hike which is a challenge and fantastic payoff views.

Date of experience: July 2016
7  Thank 48lisas48
Reviewed July 14, 2016 via mobile

It is true that the snow doesn't melt on this trail till late July. It was impassable in mid July just past lake ann. But the views of Lake ann from above were all as described. I thought it at least moderate, but it was our first hike of the trip.

Date of experience: July 2016
2  Thank TheLongLongTrailer
Reviewed June 27, 2016 via mobile

"So much prettier than anything I've ever seen!" -15 year old daughter.

Do go on this hike, but not before 7/15.

Do expect an unforgettable experience!

Do remember energy bars, lots of water, lots of layers and warm hat if early season.

Don't go without ice axe and crampons if you do go before 7/15.

Our hike, on 6/25, included so much difficulty, majesty, sheer awe, fear and deep respect for the mountain. If you do the loop now, the trail is indecipherable 30% of the route d/t snow cover. My two kids and I ended up staying on the mountain last night. Shivering, huddled and witness to the brightest stars! Everybody is okay, but you really shouldn't take the full loop until after 7/15 without being geared up as noted above.

Date of experience: June 2016