“Breath taking hike ”
Review of Maple Pass Loop

Maple Pass Loop
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic trail passing by lakes and meadows.
Reviewed October 4, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I hiked this loop counter clockwise . Both of us admitted that it's the most beautiful hike we have done so far . Took us 4 hrs with frequent rest enjoying the beauty around.

2  Thank Donga8
in 5 reviews
"ascent"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed August 12, 2016

An energetic hike, but worth it! We started counterclockwise, and made it to above Heather Lake and Meadows. As it was a very hot day, we decided to go back the way we came, the distance via Maple Pass was the same.

1  Thank simivalley1699
Reviewed August 5, 2016

Absolutely breathtaking hike with expansive views of the glacier clad cascade range at the top. The ascent from the Rainy Lake side was spectacular, the timing was great with an abundance of wildflowers, great view of the falls into Rainy Lake and of the lake and Ann lake as well. Bring water, trail shoes or hiking boots essential. Not suitable for those with impaired balance or mobility. Took me 3.5 hours to do the 7 mile loop at a leisurely pace.

4  Thank Christine L
Reviewed July 31, 2016 via mobile

Yes it is indeed gorgeous. The views looking down at Lake Ann should make you stop more than once as you make your way up the mountain. Frankly the hike to Lake Ann was meh to me. Muddy and I'm short so I couldn't see the lake from the ground. Too much water under the driftwood and way too many black flies to want to hang around anyway. The colors of the lake don't come into full color until you are above it with the sun shining anyway. But we did hike to the lake first and then started the long climb up to Maple Pass. I had not read any reviews prior to hiking but we always carry layers and I even had my wool hat/gloves/winter coat. A lot of the trail I was very hot and sweating when I was exposed to full on sun. Hiking on big rocks that retain the heat doesn't help! When we got about 30 minutes from the top we met a forestry worker who engaged us in conversation. In learning it was our first time hiking she advised we only go up to the "border sign" as the views are essentially the same as all the way up top. Conditions were still snowy to that point and even worse beyond. When we climbed up through the snow we realized going any further made zero sense as we did not have clamp ons for our boots, so we did as she suggested and came back down the same way. Beautiful up there but the black flies were still biting so we were unable to sit and eat our lunch. From that point our round trip was 5.5 hours.

I saw many people hiking in sandals on a trail that was muddy, very rocky, tree roots and snow. Why someone would risk their toes to this I'm not sure! I also saw so many people hiking without a hat or even water! People please no matter how experienced you are do not do an expected 8 mile hike without a hat or water.

This trail in July had a large tree limb you had to climb over. Being short I had to sit on it to get over. There were a few more easy over limbs and a go under.

But this hike gives you everything you expect in a great hike which is a challenge and fantastic payoff views.

7  Thank Lisa S