Loft Mountain Campground
US$146
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
US$75
Big Meadows Campground(Shenandoah National Park)
Lewis Mountain Cabins(Shenandoah National Park)
Big Meadows Lodge(Shenandoah National Park)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewstent campingcamp storeappalachian trailperson tentgreat siteshort walkbathrooms were cleanstoring foodpay showersbear countrywind and rainevery summerparking areaprivacycampgroundsitescampers
Reviewed June 21, 2017 via mobile

Spent 3 days and two nights tent camping at Loft Mountain site A19. Overall a great outdoor experience and close to the Appalachian Trail. Saw lots of deer but no Bears. Be prepared for extreme wind and rain while staying at Loft Mountain. Bathrooms and showers were clean and park rangers friendly. Great spot for small families.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2017

It is beautiful on the mountain but the lack of up keep s showing. The grass is high and ticks are thick.The ticks are horrible, I rarely get tick bites, even after spraying and wearing long pant and tall socks I received 5 tick bites in one day.

Room Tip: This is a camp ground
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RPaxtonm1
Reviewed May 23, 2017

Deer tick haven! Campground gets an F for this issue since it could have been easily resolved with proper management. We complained that our campsite on 5/20/17 was not mowed and had very tall grass. The campground office said they hadn't mowed any of the campsites in a month and had no equipment to loan me to do so myself. The girl I was camping with just found a deer tick attached to her which is two days after we checked out of the campsite. Now, she has to play the waiting game and see if she contracted Lyme disease. The very least the campground and park could do is regularly mow their campsites. We had even sprayed down the tent and a large portion of the site with 30% DEET spray

This is very concerning since we didn't want to camp on that site but had no real alternatives since we had driven over three hours to get there. All other campsites and lodges nearby were booked. Thinking of going to the media about this since I saw plenty of children playing around there campsites with the same tall grass that hadn't been mowed in a month. For the park entrance and campsite fees, it seems as if the park should be more proactive managing Lyme disease risks as much as possible for their patrons. I will be calling park management today and hope they are available to discuss this situation.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Terry M
Reviewed May 20, 2017

We were so excited to try camping at Loft Mountain! When we arrived we were stunned to see that the site we had was about 10 ft by 15 ft, filled with half-sunk rocks, on an incline, and with a picnic table and fire grill in the center. That's right- NO place for a 6 person tent. We talked to the ranger who gave us a list of open sites for the whole weekend (we had asked to move into one and were told there were campers coming in to that site Saturday night.) After finding one we could pitch our tent in we returned to the ranger who transferred our reservation for Friday and Saturday night. Or not. We were told on Saturday afternoon that someone had booked the site we were in and we had to move. Disgusted, we just left. Overall it was a very poor experience and I'm so disappointed in the management of the campground.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank VACampingFamily
Reviewed October 30, 2016 via mobile

Outstanding visit in Oct 2016. Three dads and 8 sons stayed 2 nights just before Halloween. First day was seasonable. Good hiking weather. Access points to AT could be a little more visible/prominent. First night was very cold, but everyone was prepared. Car camping makes that easy! Second day was summer-like and made for great hiking. Second night was very windy, but did not cause any issues. Rangers are serious about storing food in your car or bear-proof boxes. My friend got an $80 fine for leaving some items out during the second day. Rangers confiscated coolers and other supplies, so he had to go retrieve everything and get the fine. Rangers came back around 11:30 pm and "knocked" on the tent and scolded my second friend for leaving condiments and a few other things out. We were letting the fire burn out and that was another "no-no". No ticket for all that, but I will say the rangers are diligent and serious.

Still, it was a great trip and I look forward to going back again in 2017.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends