“Worst hotel I have been to thus far...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alishan Gou Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chiayi County
Alishan Gou Hotel
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Chiayi County
Canada
“Worst hotel I have been to thus far...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

Ali mountain was definitely an amazing experience, but our choice in the hotel was a mistake. When we arrived, our room was taken by the people that were right in front of us (thankfully, as we found out afterwards from those people that there were cockroaches and possibly bed bugs in that room). The room we got was a 2 floor room for 4 people, the room was small with 4 single beds and a tiny washroom. The washroom was filthy, there was rust in the sink and the bath tube looks as if it has never been cleaned...
It was really cold at night, I don't think the rooms were heated. The only food place was in the basement. The food choices were alright, there was congee and bread etc, but I am not sure how clean the handling was. The toaster was dirty and the utensils were filthy...
Overall, this the worst hotel experience I have ever experienced.

• Stayed December 2007
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank raneflight

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wuppertal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2008

My husband and I wanted to stay one night at Alishan Guo hotel during our six days rental car tour across Taiwan, but after arrival and a look at the room, we decided that this was not the place to stay for the next night. Rather we would have slept in the car! Actually we planned to stay at Alishan house, since we prefer 5-star hotels, but they were completely booked at the time, we made the reservation. So Alishan Guo was our only alternative.

Lobby and check-in staff were o.k., but the room...
It was simply disgusting. The bathroom, especially the bathtub was full of mold and dirt. The bed didn't look much better, the window was broken, the rug sticky and the entire room made a dark, dirty, old and uninviting impression.

That's why we immediately went back to the tourist information at the parking lot to ask them, if they can recommend a better hotel. So we ended up at KF (Kaofeng) hotel, which was much, much better. The style / amenities were surely not my taste and kind of trashy, but at least it was clean and service was friendly. Room rate was even cheaper (between TWD 2.500-3.500 depending on the room category, w/o breakfast) than Alishan Guo.The location was even better than Alishan Guo, because KF hotel was only a one minute walk from the parking lot, where you find shops, restaurants, a Starbucks, a 7-eleven and the train station.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty und unbearable rooms
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank larissa28

Travellers are raving about these Chiayi County hotels

Newport Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2008

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name). We stayed at this hotel since the Alishan House had no rooms available.

LOCATION: Good or great, depending on where you want to be. There are only 2 hotels in the national park, this hotel and the Alishan House. Both are about a 25 minute walk to restaurants/Starabucks. The good part of the location is that you are a 2 minute walk to the train station for the sunrise viewing and the hotel is set in a picturesque forrest as opposed to the other hotels near the restaurants that are in more of a parking lot setting. The hotel provides free transportation to the restaurant area, but the timing of the shuttle is a mystery. Hitchiking is easy and probably safe to/from the hotel.

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: We took a taxi from Sun Moon Lake for 4,000 NT. Otherwise the Alishan train costs about 400 NT per person to Chiaya Station.

TYPE OF ROOM: 3 person room with park view.

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Bed could be the hardest I have slept on in my last 5 months in Asia changing hotels every few days. A Good idea to get a 3 person room and use the blankets from the extra bed for padding for the bed you want to sleep on. Sheets were stained and the pillow smelled and was extremely thick.

LIGHTING: Lighting in the bathroom was good and the bedroom was ok.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Gross. Mold in shower and the whole bathroom area is not pleasant. Everything in the bathroom is as cheap as possible. I actually didn’t even take a shower here since it was too gross. In the morning, my travel partner said that there was no hot water left (there was some hot water the evening previous).

TOILETRIES: Cheapest possible. Bring your own.

CLEANLINESS: Carpets are stained, bed sheets had stains, the bathroom was not good and the carpets and furniture are in need of replacement.

A/C: We were told that during this time of year, there is not heat available. There is a vent in the room, though.

CLOSET SPACE: Better than average amount of space. 2 people could unpack a good portion of their items.

STYLE OF ROOM: Old dorm room. Nothing pleasant about this room except for the size (since we had a 3 person room). The view of the park out the window was very nice.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: Room was quiet at night but if you don’t want to view the sunrise, be prepared for slamming doors, people yelling, cars honking, and trains whistling. Probably very quiet at night since people go to bed early to wake up at 3:50AM. The curtain was too thin to block out the morning sun light.

FOOD: breakfast is included but is only from 6:30A to 8:30A. I looked at it and it looked pathetic. No western options available except for toast. Also viewed a few dishes served at dinner time and we quickly knew that we were heading to town for food.

TV/INTERNET: TV has about 3-4 English stations with a couple of them movie channels. We couldn’t find any English news stations. Wireless internet is available in the rooms at no charge. I don’t think the hotel has computers for guest use.

SERVICE: Excellent! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Even purchased and picked up our train tickets for us when we mentioned we wanted to sleep in after the sunrise viewing.

COMMON AREA: Nothing special. Looks better on the internet than in person.

ROOM & CITY TIPS: Definitely try to get a room with a view of the forest. The downside of staying at this location besides what is mentioned above is that when you get the sunrise train, the train is already packed with people from the 1st stop (in town) and there were no seats left. Visited Alishan House which is a better hotel but nothing special either. Probably worth spending the extra cash just for the better bathrooms alone. May be best just to show up and check out the hotel area near the restaurants. Probably cant be worse than this one and at least you can check all your options (this may only be a good idea on a weekday due to occupancy levels). I do not recommend this hotel. Either stay at Alishan House or best to try your luck in the hotel area.

• Liked — Trees surrounding the hotel & great service
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, disgusting shower, hard beds...
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank TravelSnob1
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2007

We stayed in this hotel because this was the hotel in the Alishan tour package arranged by my brother who lives in Taiwan. The tour company booked a double occupancy room for two girls and a four occupancy room for my wife, son and myself. We found the staff friendly and very accommondating and I especially enjoyed the breakfast buffet which is the traditional breakfast I had 40 years ago and it brought back very fond memories.

The rest of the hotel, however, can use a major face lift:

The carpet in the hall way is very frayed and can cause a tripping hazard.

The central heating system did not warm up after we obligingly waited for one hour after complaining to the receptionist. She did arrange for electrical heaters, one for each room, which helped a great deal.

The mattress is hard which did not bother me but it is also lumpy.

A few bathroom tiles are broken and chunks had fallen off which gives very bad impression.

Neither of the sliding glass doors would lock and we had to ask hotel staff to lock them for us which was cheerfully done.

My major complaint is the faint moldy and damp smell in the room even with the central heating (?) system was left running for the whole time. At one time, I was worried my wife would have an athma attack.

• Liked — Friendly staff and convenient location
  • Disliked — Faint moldy smell
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank paulthuthewanderer
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2007

This hotel is small and cosy. My single room was small and i am a rather small person. The room itself is plain, basic.... you can't say its yuk because it is acceptable but it's not "polished" or anything.

However, The staff was fantastic and friendly. They offered me a warm feeling. very homely.

They have a free shuttle bus at night time that takes guests 10minutes to get to and from the central area where you can have dinner.

they tell you when the sun will rise on a certain day and provide you with a morning call. In the morning you walk to the station which takes about 5minutes to catch the train (150NT return) to the sunrise viewing area

basically the rooms at this hotel are very basic, but it is cheap you get fantastic views and the staff are great with good service. highly recommended

Stayed March 2007